PDA

View Full Version : PHPBB Forum & NNTP newsgroup via Newssync

Dave_is_sexy
March 28th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hi all.

Does or will the Ubuntu forums have/has the PHPBB extension, Newssync installed on the forum server? The extension allows efficient communication with the database over NNTP.

The extension provides synchronisation between individual forums and individual newsgroups, and could be used to synchronise the existing forums and newsgroups, or simply provide a newsgroup mirror of the forums over on Gmane.org

Ubuntu forums doesn't advertise on the site, so there doesn't seem to be any benefit to the site in forcing a detached GUI interface, which is currently the norm with many forums.

I would be interested to hear some comments on this (and hopefully see it implemented some time)

Thanks

p_quarles
March 28th, 2008, 05:24 PM
This forum doesn't run on PHPBB to begin with, so the short answer is no. There are RSS feeds for those wishing to keep up with the forum without using the default web interface, but of course these are non-interactive.

I would expect the largest problem with any official nntp mirror would be with moderation, so I doubt anything like this will happen.

I am not at all involved in site administration, by the way, so this post is solely my personal opinion, and not an official one.