PDA

View Full Version : XP on Ubuntu / Ubuntu on XP

timboellis
March 28th, 2008, 02:25 AM
THis is my delema, I have just ordered a new PC a Dual core 2.3mhz AMD good graphics card 2 gig ram etc. compaired to my poor performing machine now so do I......

Install Ubuntu onto it and use XP as a VM or.

Install XP onto it and use Ubuntu as a VM?

My main issue I have with Ubuntu is that I cannot install PSP onto it , yes I know there is Gimp and can install photoshop but I just cannot use them.

Would win xp/2k run at a good speed as a VM on Ubuntu with thsi spec of machine or will i loose the plot assuminging I give the VM 1 gig of ram?

gn2
March 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM
1 gb of RAM for each OS is plenty so long as it's not Vista Premium.

Rather than use a VM have you considered booting Ubuntu from a USB Pen Drive?

xArv3nx
March 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM
THis is my delema, I have just ordered a new PC a Dual core 2.3mhz AMD good graphics card 2 gig ram etc. compaired to my poor performing machine now so do I......

Install Ubuntu onto it and use XP as a VM or.

Install XP onto it and use Ubuntu as a VM?

My main issue I have with Ubuntu is that I cannot install PSP onto it , yes I know there is Gimp and can install photoshop but I just cannot use them.

Would win xp/2k run at a good speed as a VM on Ubuntu with thsi spec of machine or will i loose the plot assuminging I give the VM 1 gig of ram?
It'll run fine with 1 gig of ram alotted to it.

Hell, XP runs fine with 512MB of RAM alotted to it on my Mac Mini.

I would suggest looking at WINE, though, as I think it supports it (PHotoshop) now.

Johnsie
March 28th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I use virtual Box to do this and it runs great:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

The good thing about using VirtualBox is that it can run almost windows software

timboellis
March 28th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the respons eyeah I can get photoshop working but I just do not know what to do with it.

criskat777
March 28th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Ubuntu main Xp VM and you will be a happy camper.:popcorn: you can even dual boot Ubuntu as Default and xp additional to your Ubuntu xp conf.

Prefix100
March 28th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Dual boot?

xArv3nx
March 28th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the respons eyeah I can get photoshop working but I just do not know what to do with it.

wut?

frup
March 28th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Something like PSP should run ok in a Virtual Machine.

Best way to find out would be to test each configuration and check which one feels most comfortable for you. The advantage of having windows in the VM of course would be that you could take snapshots of it's state and also use Ubuntu for most internet activities making your windows install less vulnerable.

picopir8
March 28th, 2008, 04:43 AM
My rule of thumb has always been most stable/secure OS as host, less stable/secure OS's as VMs. That way if/when you have problems with the less stable OS (crashes, viruses, etc.) it does not take your entire system down. Needless to say, windows is always in a VM.