PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Languages

perito
March 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
if I wanted to choose between these language, which is better Pascal or Perl or Python or Haskel? whats the difference? which is faster and more useful? do they have extremely large run-time files like VB? Are they comparable to C/C++?
Which can work on Linux and Windows at the same time? And which have easy-to find/easy-to install compilers?

The Cog
March 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Are you trying to start another religious war? They're still clearing up the bodies from the last time asked what language is best.

Perl and Python are both interpreted languages - they have an interpreter that directly reads the text file that you write. Both have hordes of advocates.

Pascal is a compiled language. I don't think it's all that common these days, although Borland did an object-oriented version a while ago. Someone will probably tell me I am wrong about this, too.

I don't know about Haskell.

LaRoza
March 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM
if I wanted to choose between these language, which is better Pascal or Perl or Python or Haskel? whats the difference? which is faster and more useful? do they have extremely large run-time files like VB? Are they comparable to C/C++?
Which can work on Linux and Windows at the same time? And which have easy-to find/easy-to install compilers?

Pascal : Popular 20 years ago, still used somewhat, but not widely

Perl : Popular high level language, most useful for as a text processing language, see sticky for more

Python : Popular high level language, designed to be readable, comparable to Perl in many ways, see sticky

Haskel : Pure functional lanuage, not used as widely, but powerful, and useful for many tasks.

Kadrus
March 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I don't think you can compare programming languages..because each programming language has it's own purpose...so it depends on what you want to do..read the stickies and you will get an answer and read LaRoza's wiki..it has a lot of information on where to start and with what..good luck,,

LaRoza
March 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I don't think you can compare programming languages..because each programming language has it's own purpose...so it depends on what you want to do..read the stickies and you will get an answer and read LaRoza's wiki..it has a lot of information on where to start and with what..good luck,,

I have not yet added Pascal based languages. I will do it soon.

Kadrus
March 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Pascal is very well documented though...because it has been around for a long time...plenty of guides and online books..so trying to find a tutorial won't be hard..

pmasiar
March 28th, 2008, 03:29 AM
What is better vehicle for moving people around: school bus, corvette, semi, or a scooter? Can you answer?

It does not make sense until I tell you what I plan to do, right? It will not be very effective to try driving kids to school in a corvette, would it? Tell us what you want to accomplish, then we can give you half-meaningful advice. Every of mentioned languages might have sense in certain situations, but no sense at all in others.

drubin
March 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM
What is better vehicle for moving people around: school bus, corvette, semi, or a scooter? Can you answer?

One of the best answers i have ever heard for this question. Nice one.

pedro_orange
March 28th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Corvette.

Cause the others are just plain silly. Who'd be seen dead on a scooter? :P

drubin
March 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Corvette.

Cause the others are just plain silly. Who'd be seen dead on a scooter? :P

Students learning to drive ?? :P

pmasiar
March 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Who'd be seen dead on a scooter? :P

Engineer fixing underground particle accelerator? Driving around Rome with a beautiful girl on a back seat? Commuting to work when gas will hit $10 a gallon?

Many possible answers, rejecting them all shows only limits in your mind - limits in your imagination. How you can be excellent programmer when you do not let your mind roam free?

slavik
March 28th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Pascal = Python before there was C

Python, Perl = easy things easier, difficult things not impossible

Haskel = Lisp of today/future.

The Cog
March 29th, 2008, 09:46 PM
What is a semi (vehicle)?

LaRoza
March 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
What is a semi (vehicle)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer

The term refers to the truck which is carrying it.

What is the term for this in your country? (Curious)

bruce89
March 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
What is the term for this in your country? (Curious)

Back bit of a lorry.

LaRoza
March 29th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Back bit of a lorry.

Ah! That is what a lorry is...

Now things make sense.

Joeb454
March 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Trailer :)

Or if it's a big one, an Articulated Lorry (Artic for short in most places) Correct me if I'm wrong :p

bruce89
March 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Ah! That is what a lorry is...

Trailer :)

Or if it's a big one, an Articulated Lorry (Artic for short in most places) Correct me if I'm wrong :p

The front bit is the cab, and the back bit is the trailer. Articulated ones have 2 trailers.

ruy_lopez
March 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM
The front bit is the cab, and the back bit is the trailer. Articulated ones have 2 trailers.

Suddenly everything is clear.

The Cog
March 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I have seen those trailers without front wheels occasionally. I am not aware of a particular name for them though, other than that lorry is necessarily articulated.

Re Lorry:
A lorrry is a large road-going goods vehicle - anything bigger than a van really.

A truck on the other hand, is something that travels on rails and gets pulled by the engine. I think it is also normally open-topped, for carrying the likes of coal or ore - if closed, it would be a van, like the "mail van" that many trains pull. To add to the confusion, passenger trains can have a "buffet car" where curled-up sandwiches are sold for astonishing prices. Car is short for carriage.

pmasiar
March 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM
USA and England, divided by language :-)

LaRoza
March 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM

That is because English/American hasn't been submitted for ISO review.

perito
March 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Haskel = Lisp of today/future.

can you elaborate on this more please? what do you mean?

ruy_lopez
March 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM

And, apparently, by geographical understanding.

bruce89
March 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM

Indeed. (hint: look at where we're from)

Triggerhapp
March 30th, 2008, 02:10 AM

Im just waiting for a joke about how herbs have a "h"

mssever
March 30th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I understand that confusing England and Scotland is a capital offence. :) I don't know about Wales...

I have seen those trailers without front wheels occasionally. I am not aware of a particular name for them though, other than that lorry is necessarily articulated.

Re Lorry:
A lorrry is a large road-going goods vehicle - anything bigger than a van really.

A truck on the other hand, is something that travels on rails and gets pulled by the engine. I think it is also normally open-topped, for carrying the likes of coal or ore - if closed, it would be a van, like the "mail van" that many trains pull. To add to the confusion, passenger trains can have a "buffet car" where curled-up sandwiches are sold for astonishing prices. Car is short for carriage.
That's quite a difference! I suppose its due to the fact that the US was already independent when transportation started to modernize. Here, any rail vehicle that gets pulled is a car, regardless of type (boxcar, passenger car, etc.).

Another difference I noticed when I was in London was the term trolley. Seems everything with wheels that you push is a trolley. Though where I currently live in Northeast Texas, what the rest of the US would call a cart is often called a buggy.

Triggerhapp
March 30th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I understand that confusing England and Scotland is a capital offence. :) I don't know about Wales...
I sure know -.- Im Welsh ;)

slavik
March 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM
can you elaborate on this more please? what do you mean?

Lisp was one of the original functional languages ... today most development is into Haskel. There is a project to implement a Perl6 interpreter in Haskel, there is also "Parallel Haskel" (you write Haskel code and it gets parallelized automatically where/when needed).

Although it seems that Haskel might also be a replacement for FORTRAN since it sees lots of support from the scientific community (because it uses the functional paradigm and the work on parallel haskel).

themusicwave
March 30th, 2008, 05:43 PM

That's quite a difference! I suppose its due to the fact that the US was already independent when transportation started to modernize. Here, any rail vehicle that gets pulled is a car, regardless of type (boxcar, passenger car, etc.).

Another difference I noticed when I was in London was the term trolley. Seems everything with wheels that you push is a trolley. Though where I currently live in Northeast Texas, what the rest of the US would call a cart is often called a buggy.

Here in Pittsburgh PA, USA a Trolley is the light rail system that takes you from the suburbs in to town. Basically, a street car in other places.

Also, a shopping cart is often referred to as a buggy.

It seems that even in different parts of the US we talk slightly different. I know when I was in New Orleans and I told someone I took the trolley they just look at me confused. I then said street car and they knew what I meant.

Maybe us Pittsburghers are just weird...