PDA

View Full Version : gambas user : help needed

anantshri
March 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
hello everyone,

I have started development in gambas RAD.

but was short of help.

looked all over gambas docs as well as gambas forge.

but still the i am in search of some good examples

can any one help me in this matter.

mssever
March 27th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Isn't Gambas a Visual Basic implementation? If so, there's probably not a whole lot of help around here. With so many superior languages to choose from, few people are interested in messing with VB on Linux.

You'd be better off choosing a better language (Ruby, Python, etc.).

Kadrus
March 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I do agree that Gambas is under-documented..
http://davidasorey.net/static/gambas-tutorial/gambas_tutorial_en.html
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Gambas
And i do think that you should choose another language for programming under Linux..like Python,Objective Caml or something else...

anantshri
March 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM
i know i should go for some other language,

but i am looking for some RAD rapid application development environment.

so can any one point me to some RAD tools for working on python or any other language in linux except java.

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
i know i should go for some other language,

but i am looking for some RAD rapid application development environment.

so can any one point me to some RAD tools for working on python or any other language in linux except java.

Did you see Glade?

CptPicard
March 28th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Well... if you are competent enough, just python in a text editor is RAD enough, IMHO. Those who can't manage that aren't just mature enough as coders for RAD tools to begin with.

Kadrus
March 28th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Well,you have Glade and KDevelop which build the Graphical User Interface..give it a try..

raindog469
March 31st, 2008, 12:03 AM
No, Gambas is not "a Visual Basic implementation". It's a language with a syntax like BASIC, a consistent object model with strong typing and explicit declaration like Java, and an IDE that's easier to deal with than VB's while avoiding VB's design flaws. It's very well-designed, and it's superb for anyone who is confident enough in his coding skills so as to not feel threatened by tools that make life easier for him. It has advantages over GUI toolkits for other languages, like being able to convert your Qt application to Gtk or vice versa with two clicks.

The one design problem it does have is that it superficially resembles VB, so that people who have never used one of them think it's the same thing, and what little media coverage it's had has almost always mistaken it for a VB clone despite the warnings to the contrary all over the documentation. This results in VB users coming over from Windows expecting their projects to translate easily into Gambas, and well, they don't. Two different languages.

And the documentation needs help, and last I knew, gambasforge was broken due to a problem with its host. There is a pretty strong support system, nonetheless. The Gambas home page has a link to the gambas-user list which is where most of the support goes on. I think you can get to it using Nabble as well.

But having just reached version 2 and gotten 64-bit support, Gambas is still fairly young. While misunderstandings and elitism will likely prevent it from developing the kind of support base for desktop apps that Python has, Gambas is an extremely usable and efficient way to build Linux GUI programs.

anantshri
March 31st, 2008, 03:25 PM
thanks for enlightening me up.

actually i also was unaware of a lot of stuff from here,

also thanks for pointing to nabble and mail list,

i will try them out.