PDA

View Full Version : #UbuntuForums on Freenode! Chat with the board.

zenwhen
December 6th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Since no one was seeing the post I made in the other thread I figure I would make a dedicated thread to the channel in hopes that more people would show up and make this chat worth chatting in.

I'll hand out ops to the mods and hopefully we can have a nice community channel where we can have realtime whacky good times and linux our collective GNU.

irc.freenode.org is in the server list in xchat and our channel name is #ubuntuforums.

We'll see you there.

jdodson
December 6th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Since no one was seeing the post I made in the other thread I figure I would make a dedicated thread to the channel in hopes that more people would show up and make this chat worth chatting in.

I'll hand out ops to the mods and hopefully we can have a nice community channel where we can have realtime whacky good times and linux our collective GNU.

irc.freenode.org is in the server list in xchat and out channel name is #ubuntuforums.

We'll see you there.

HungSquirrel and I are lonely. :(

we should setup a time this week and all meet to chat. what days/times work best for everyone? btw i promise punch and pie :mrgreen:

saBrEwolf
December 6th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I'm on the net quite often, but don't have much experience with IRC.. How do I set up Gaim to automagically login to #ubuntuforums for me? I heard it can do IRC somewhere, but not sure where..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

zenwhen
December 6th, 2004, 10:14 PM
I'm on the net quite often, but don't have much experience with IRC.. How do I set up Gaim to automagically login to #ubuntuforums for me? I heard it can do IRC somewhere, but not sure where..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Look at this image:

http://zenhardwhere.com/images/xchathowto.png

1) Click X-Chat and select Server List.
2) Highlight Freenode.
3) Click Edit.
4) Select "Auto connect to this server at startup.".
5) Put #ubuntuforums and any other channels you need in there seperated by commas.
6) Hit close.

When you restart Xchat the channels will load. :)

oddabe19
December 6th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Look at this image:

http://zenhardwhere.com/images/xchathowto.png

When you restart Xchat the channels will load. :)

There's that High Tech GIMP image manipulation I was looking for!!! :-P

zenwhen
December 6th, 2004, 11:21 PM
There's that High Tech GIMP image manipulation I was looking for!!! :-P

Do try not to let your envy of my gimp skills be so apparent. 8)

jdong
December 6th, 2004, 11:25 PM
I though those were gpaint skillz.... LOL

zenwhen
December 6th, 2004, 11:40 PM
I though those were gpaint skillz.... LOL

How could you be so cruel? :cry:

poofyhairguy
December 6th, 2004, 11:46 PM
How could you be so cruel? :cry:

Awww. Don't cry... So what if you made a funny pik? People do it on Fark everyday.

Rancoras
December 7th, 2004, 05:30 AM
I guess this is worth a sticky :P

FLeiXiuS
December 7th, 2004, 05:30 AM
lol rancoras I believe I beat you to it :-)

TravisNewman
December 7th, 2004, 05:41 AM
PS: there isn't really punch and pie. :) But that makes sense, the only way you could dispense it would be the cdrom, and it would really get sticky.

HungSquirrel
December 7th, 2004, 02:46 PM
/me resists urge to make a crude comment

zenwhen
December 9th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I am now promising FANTASTIC door prizes for those coming to the channel.

TravisNewman
December 9th, 2004, 07:30 PM
what are these door prizes?

jdodson
December 9th, 2004, 07:55 PM

pie and punch.

zenwhen
December 9th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Now now, you have to come in to find out. [-(

mr_ed
December 9th, 2004, 11:22 PM

A free Ubuntu CD!

shimon
December 12th, 2004, 04:49 PM
i am in there

zenwhen
December 13th, 2004, 04:06 AM
It is dead in there sometimes but if some kind folks would even just idle there more people would stick around. We have some good times after Midnight Eastern.

:^o

shimon
December 13th, 2004, 10:28 AM
it should be #ubuntu-forums if you want me to join

TravisNewman
December 13th, 2004, 06:09 PM
it should be #ubuntu-forums if you want me to join
Why?

crane
December 24th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Hello, Just wanted to stop by and say hi.
The #ubuntu channel is great. Lots of good peeps there. I haven't tried the #ubuntu-forums yet.

Great distro.
See ya on the IRC!! :p

zenwhen
December 29th, 2004, 06:22 PM
That channel has been a bit quiet as of late. Begging for more chatters. :oops:

TopDog
December 29th, 2004, 11:10 PM
#ubuntuforums is now in my auto-connect list :D See you guys there!

Sensebend
January 3rd, 2005, 10:29 PM
I'm idling there, but there isn't much chatter happening :)

zenwhen
January 16th, 2005, 06:29 PM
HELP WANTED: People who never shut up. :p

Agrajag
January 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM
zenwhen told me to post in this thread so here is a joke:

An English major, a Mechanical Engineering major, and a Computer Science major are driving down a mountain. The brakes fail, and they come only a few feet falling right over the edge of the road. "Let's call a tow truck," says the English major.

"No, I can fix it, give me a minute..." says the ME major.

The CS major says, "Hey, before we go to all this trouble, we should all get back in and see if it happens again."

Buffalo Soldier
January 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM
we should setup a time this week and all meet to chat. what days/times work best for everyone? btw i promise punch and pie :mrgreen:

Maybe should post that time in GMT. Easier for ppl in different time zone to adjust to that time.

shimon
February 6th, 2005, 02:17 PM
OP Me!

zenwhen
March 20th, 2005, 12:52 AM
We need more chatters. :)

defkewl
March 20th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Most of them hang around on #ubuntu

hard_i
March 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM
well .. i've been there .. but since we're in a totally different time zone , then there's not much life in there when i'm there ... or is it alwalys like that ?

Magneto
April 8th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I used to go there but everybody just talks about communism and this linux crap :)

wondering_jew
April 18th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I wish i could get onto freenode but for some reason the university has the port i need blocked off...

lao_V
April 28th, 2005, 11:48 AM
same here, blocked at work :-(

Magneto
April 29th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Blocked by common sense :)

shutup already nobody uses IRC anymore that's so 2001

lao_V
April 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Blocked by common sense :)

shutup already nobody uses IRC anymore that's so 2001

You might not use it but there are still as many people now, if not more, who use IRC. Its a fast and effective way to solve your problems and to help others!

Magneto
May 6th, 2005, 08:58 AM
You might not use it but there are still as many people now, if not more, who use IRC. Its a fast and effective way to solve your problems and to help others!
I was joking lao v - irc is a great resource and the ladies and gentlemen available in the ubuntu forum room are of the highest quality amongst the human race

I have been wasting my time being ill and posting to other message boards otherwise I'd still be on here and IRC 24-7. You can always find me on IRC when I screwed something up or want to help people- but I haven't broke anything in awhile :)

hey any of you nerds install oracle in ubuntu? Im trying to break stuff.

for those of you who are blocked- there are some webpages that will serve up irc freenode rooms chat style for you - I believe there is one such link to be found on freenode's main site
that should solve your port issues :)

zenrox
June 1st, 2005, 04:33 PM
please more chatters
please more chatters
/me runs away laughing

oddabe19
June 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM
please more chatters
please more chatters
/me runs away laughing
why on earth did I make him op in the channel?
:-p

lleberg
June 2nd, 2005, 01:53 AM
U guess i could stay in #ubuntuforums (and #ubuntu) from now on..
And i'm on IRC quite a bit!
Of course i will show some activity sometimes, but i'll answer right away or soon enough if oyu hilight me ;)

polo_step
July 6th, 2005, 09:07 AM
the ladies and gentlemen available in the ubuntu forum room are of the highest quality amongst the human race.
They're good spellers, which amounts to the same thing. ;-)

JPatrick
July 8th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I can't join the channel. :? I'm typing /join #ubuntuforums into the command line and it doesn't work. ](*,)

EDIT: I'm in!! :grin:

Skel
August 2nd, 2005, 07:06 PM
I will stick around and chill :razz:

TristanMike
August 8th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I'd go, but I find when I enter an IRC chat, everyone kinda seems stuck up and cliquey and no one responds to or converses with me? I usually get the "yeah, whatever" response so it has kinda turned me off of IRC.

Magneto
August 8th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I'd go, but I find when I enter an IRC chat, everyone kinda seems stuck up and cliquey and no one responds to or converses with me? I usually get the "yeah, whatever" response so it has kinda turned me off of IRC.
yeah, whatever

;)

TristanMike
August 8th, 2005, 07:23 PM
.......(grumbling under his breath)sarcastic....sob......

LOL :smile:

Magneto
August 9th, 2005, 02:39 AM
.......(grumbling under his breath)sarcastic....sob......

LOL :smile:
lol hey man don't sweat it
there are some good people around- the main ubuntu room is not moderated well but the ubuntu forums room is a cool place when people are in there

TristanMike
August 9th, 2005, 05:15 AM
I suppose I asked for it tho.... :razz:

I'll be around if I can figure it out.

Brunellus
August 21st, 2005, 05:57 AM
man, do you all ever log off?

every time I join, there are dozens of people logged-in...but no activity whatsoever.

majikstreet
August 30th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Help most definatly found.

I never shut up if I have something to talk about.....

zenwhen
September 4th, 2005, 11:17 PM
It has been really quiet lately. I think we need some more of our moderator type people in there to keep things lively. There was a misunderstanding with one of the mods a while back, and he left. I would like that mod to come back or discuss with me what can be done to make things better. I am pretty sure it was Flex.

majikstreet
September 5th, 2005, 05:07 PM
It has been really quiet lately. I think we need some more of our moderator type people in there to keep things lively. There was a misunderstanding with one of the mods a while back, and he left. I would like that mod to come back or discuss with me what can be done to make things better. I am pretty sure it was Flex.
The channel rox0rs..

ncrypt0
September 6th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Does anyone know how to convert unix file to dos with Ubuntu? similar command to unix UTOD

zenwhen
September 20th, 2005, 03:24 AM
We are still around. About 18 of us are holding out. More would be more than welcome.

0V3RC10CK3D
September 22nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
I'm trying to join but it wont let me, i did a /j #ubuntuforums and it said

JOIN :Register first.

?? How do i register for the IRC channel? I'm registered here on the forums, i'm guessing that doesn't transfer over?

zenwhen
September 22nd, 2005, 11:50 AM
I'm trying to join but it wont let me, i did a /j #ubuntuforums and it said

JOIN :Register first.

?? How do i register for the IRC channel? I'm registered here on the forums, i'm guessing that doesn't transfer over?

/msg nickserv register [password]

Registers your current nick

/msg nickserv identify [password]

Allows you to identify yourself.

Juippisi
September 25th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Heh, finally I got enough courage to join #ubuntuforums IRC-channel :-). Yes, I'm afraid of new people, so don't tease me much there ;-).

Yes, it would be nice to see more people there. And it's not that dead channel that I thought it to be.

Glass Casket
December 2nd, 2005, 08:10 AM
This sucks, I wasa big time mIRC user and when I got to college, there are several servers I can't connect to. Does Freenode only have irc.freenode.net?

Thanks.

Pablo_Escobar
December 2nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
#Ubuntuforums can be a cracker sometimes :) I love to get onto it and chat with Ubuntu users accross the globe - Puerto Rico :) , Czech :), etc. :D

bored2k
December 2nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
#Ubuntuforums can be a cracker sometimes :) I love to get onto it and chat with Ubuntu users accross the globe - Puerto Rico :) , Czech :), etc. :D
Even with dominican hillbilly's ;)!

Dhanagopal, R
December 14th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Hi

Brunellus
December 14th, 2005, 02:12 PM
whoa, the IRC thread has been un-stickied!

funkyade
April 4th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Does anyone know how to convert unix file to dos with Ubuntu? similar command to unix UTOD

#> unix2dos happyhappyjoyjoy.txt fubar.txt

geeknation
April 12th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I'll see you all in there. Im hoping for good *nix chat. :D

Is it quite active btw? If so, i'll be a daily user. ;)

kassetra
April 12th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I'll see you all in there. Im hoping for good *nix chat. :D

Is it quite active btw? If so, i'll be a daily user. ;)

It gets active and then slows for a bit when people are either on their way to bed or haven't come home from work quite yet...

WildTangent
April 13th, 2006, 03:51 AM
I was one of the early inhabitors of the channel...back in 2004/2005 :) but stopped because it was always so empty...but now...it's my regular hang-out :D

#ubuntuforums FTW!!!

-Wild

yellowgal62
April 17th, 2006, 08:49 AM
where would i find xchat

bonzodog
April 17th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Hi there, just to say, come and hang out with us in there; We need more people!

Oh, and XChat is (I think, as I don't have gnome) Applications > Network