PDA

View Full Version : Delphi

perito
March 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I used to program Delphi on Windows using Borland Delphi compiler... what is a good delphi compiler on linux and how can I get it?
If, for any reason, I cant program Delphi in linux, what is a good replacement? I need a fast and efficient language that can make programs for linux and windows at the same time...

ghostdog74
March 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
you should search google first (http://delphi.about.com/od/kylix/Kylix_Delphi_for_Linux.htm)

perito
March 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
what is a good replacement? I need a fast and efficient language that can make programs for linux and windows at the same time...

WW
March 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I don't know if will meet your needs, but the closest thing to Delphi that I've seen is lazarus (http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/). (I've never used it.)

Kadrus
March 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
? I need a fast and efficient language that can make programs for linux and windows at the same time
Than you must be thinking of Python..
Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel the language encourages the development of higher quality, more maintainable code,and it runs on,Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac OS X, OS/2, Amiga, Palm Handhelds, and Nokia mobile phones. Python has also been ported to the Java and .NET virtual machines...
From python.org
I think it's the right language for developing softwares on multiple Operating system..

CptPicard
March 28th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I know that it is fashionable to hate Java, but ... coded right, it's much faster than Python and is multiplatform and has lots of stuff to play with. It may be uncool but it works... :)

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I know that it is fashionable to hate Java, but ... coded right, it's much faster than Python and is multiplatform and has lots of stuff to play with. It may be uncool but it works... :)

Java might be the thing, but I don't know about it being fast.

A study found that programmers were able to make programs faster with Tcl than Java and with more features.

hums07
March 28th, 2008, 12:46 AM
what is a good replacement? I need a fast and efficient language that can make programs for linux and windows at the same time...

I am a Delphi programmer and I see Lazarus is meant to be replacement of Delphi. It is still under development (which is slow I think). Some components are still to make but most are already there.

I have tried to compile a simple program (as simple as Hello world) with Lazarus. The compiled program is very fat. To my experience, Lazarus is not very stable, it crashes often (probably because I installed the latest version from the website, not the one in the repository).

I think it is better to switch, e.g. to C++ or python. Switching is a bit painful as I feel but in the end I believe you will get the benefit.

pmasiar
March 28th, 2008, 03:06 AM
lazarus is for those Pascal stalwarts who refuse to learn something more modern. :-) What are your other goals? Do you want to learn a language for a startup, web based app, or safe boring job in big company? Do you want to participate in open source projects?

If you are going to invest couple of years of your time to become an expert in something, choose carefully. Old languages (like Delphi/Pascal) are obsolete for a reason...

Søren
January 28th, 2010, 08:01 AM
The Borland Delphi compiler and IDE was the best, fastest, most fantastic combination of everything thats good about programming that ever been invented. -Pascal language was beautiful, and the IDE made it possible churn out applications with ease. Unfortunately Delphi died, because Pascal died. I do not know why this is..but it pisses me off. I would very much like to devote my time to mastering Delphi but its a professional waste of time.
WHO KILLED DELPHI???????

wmcbrine
January 28th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Pascal language was beautifulHmm, can't agree there.

WHO KILLED DELPHI?Well, apparently it's not quite dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embarcadero_Delphi). But I'd say it got squeezed by C++ from one end and Visual Basic from the other. And then Java.

Søren
January 29th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Hmm, can't agree there.

Well, apparently it's not quite dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embarcadero_Delphi). But I'd say it got squeezed by C++ from one end and Visual Basic from the other. And then Java.

ya i think Embarcadero were part of the problem because they charged so much for their delphi builder.

its funny you say that it was 'squeezed' by by VB & C++. because Delphi is better than both these languages. still the question remains *why*. delphi has the power of C++ with cleaner syntax, like VB.

my theory is that pascal lost the war with C (and it really was a war for a while) because C is so close to assembly that all the old assemble coders could just move over to C.

btw why you dislike pascal syntax?

Don Bowen
February 8th, 2010, 06:03 AM
The Borland Delphi compiler and IDE was the best, fastest, most fantastic combination of everything thats good about programming that ever been invented. -Pascal language was beautiful, and the IDE made it possible churn out applications with ease. Unfortunately Delphi died, because Pascal died. I do not know why this is..but it pisses me off. I would very much like to devote my time to mastering Delphi but its a professional waste of time.
WHO KILLED DELPHI???????

The first compilier I could ever afford was Turbo Pascal. ($49 for MSDOS machines) It was coded by a Anders Hejlsberg who with Phillipe Kahn (spelling?) were the core of Borland International. Anders stayed with Borland up through Delphi version 3, and then he got hired away by --- gasp --- Microsoft. (This probably explains why visual basic got so good over the last few years... I can only guess that MS hired Anders to make VB as good as Delphi.)

Nobody really killed Delphi, but after Anders left, it got to be a huge bloated, compiler in the $2,000 price range! It's still around and currently marketed by Embarcadero. I still use Delphi 3 and sometimes 7. Both can be found on the internet (if you look hard enough), and they both work just fine under Windows 7. I've never had a good compiler for Ubuntu, but I'm hopeful Lazarus will evolve. It's already impressive, but it won't ever be worth much if it doesn't get working help files. (Right now, it has none!).
Somebody said that Pascal was not "modern" in one of the other posts. While it is old, it's not dead yet! It was designed to teach good proramming practice. (Niklaus Wirth defined the language for that express purpose). Its object oriented extensions have kept it a viable programming language to this day. What it lacks is a good programming environment like Delphi was!

Let us remember that BASIC (developed at Dartmouth) was a terrible way to learn to program. It was not block structured, not strongly typed, and was difficult to follow. If Visual Basic is its decendent, then it certainly now resembles Pascal more than it resembles its father, BASIC. I'd like to suggest that all of the "Modern" features we revere in VB and C++ are derivative from Pascal. Thank you, Mr. Wirth and Mr. Hejlsberg for both efforts. Without these two, programming would be a lot less... elegant.

raydeen
February 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Lazarus is the closest thing to Delphi. What's nice is that it's available on Win, Mac, and Linux. And also that it's free :) Setting up on Win and Linux is pretty painless. The Mac install is a bit more complicated but not overly so. I *think* the only thing that seems to be missing is a built in graphics editor. I had Delphi 1.0 way back in the day and it came with an icon builder which was nice. Buggy as heck, but most things were back in the days of Win 3.1. I was attempting to get back up to speed with Lazarus, but I've moved on to Python. Should you move to Python, you might want to look at ActiveState Komodo for the interface builder. It's pricy but the only game in town right now unless you want to code the GUI by hand (which isn't too hard).

k0d3g3ar
April 10th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Embarcadero recently unveiled a roadmap for Delphi that includes (in the next release) cross compilation support. Basically you can use the Windows IDE for development, debugging, etc. but compile and deploy for Windows, Mac and .... gasp... Linux.

Considering that Borland had some success with this a long time ago (Kylix) but neglected the product before eventually killing it off (just as they did with Interbase->Firebird fiasco), I suspect the result will be a pretty stable way to do development using Delphi & Pascal, if that is your language of choice.

Its certainly do-able. I've been using Lazarus for years, and its fast & stable. Sure there are probably better alternatives, but if you are not too locked into 3rd party components that won't work cross-platform, its definitely a do-able solution for Delphi developers who want to release Linux versions. But with this new move by Embarcadero, it looks like it might be production ready - albeit proprietary.

K