miggols99
March 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM
If I could have a distro however I wanted it, I would want it to have

Rolling release
Uses KDE4 (or lets you choose)
Lets me choose what programs to install
No extra apps I don't need/want
Uses the pacman package manager
A good frontend to pacman - otherwise known as Shaman :)
Works well out of the box
No need to use the CLI
No xorg.conf!! (this is impossible...) - Easy way to configure Xorg

What would yours be like?

Zeotronic
March 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Not much like that... Xubuntu is perfect, except for the gnome applications that have xfce counterparts that should be there!

regomodo
March 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
stability of Debian
Configuration of Gentoo
Forums of Ubuntu
Online Resources of Gentoo
Installation Method of Arch
Package manager or Gentoo/Arch
Installation time of Puppy

Of course most of those are totally incompatible

LaRoza
March 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
If I could have a distro however I wanted it, I would want it to have

Rolling release
Uses KDE4 (or lets you choose)
Lets me choose what programs to install
No extra apps I don't need/want
Uses the pacman package manager
A good frontend to pacman - otherwise known as Shaman :)
Works well out of the box
No need to use the CLI
No xorg.conf!!

From what you describe, you want Arch without doing it yourself. You don't want xorg? So what do you plan on using for GUI's? (KDE needs it)

You can make your own custom distro that fulfills these requirements.

Zeotronic
March 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
From what you describe, you want Arch without doing it yourself. You don't want xorg? So what do you plan on using for GUI's? (KDE needs it)

You said it yourself, Miggols cant fulfill the last one.

miggols99
March 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Ah well I just hate having to fill in xorg.conf. What I'd want is a completely automatic Xorg...but I'm not sure how it would work. For example how could it tell what keyboard layout you have? Hmm maybe I could rephrase that. Easy to configure Xorg..

FuturePilot
March 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I would want Ubuntu but in a rolling release version.

(yes yes, I know, Debian! but for some odd reason it doesn't work as well as Ubuntu. Must be the kernel patches Ubuntu uses.....)

bufsabre666
March 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM
stability of Debian
Configuration of Gentoo
Forums of Ubuntu

((looks over list)) hmmm.... sounds good to me, put me down for this as well

MONODA
March 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
rolling release ubuntu would be awesome. I love pacman and I wish ubuntu used it. I know apt is good. but pacman is sooo fast for me! (my internet connection is 35 kbps down but with pacman I download at 100 - 1500 kbps, no joke)

Mehashi
March 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Debian stabilty.
Ubuntu Interface and support.
Fool Proof 3d Capability.
Fusion as standard.
An Emergency handbrake for stupid like me!
Fast boot time.
An Ice cream dispenser.
^_^

Ooh, and a voice interface....

SunnyRabbiera
March 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM
My dream distro:
Debian stability
Ubuntu's community
Mints Ease of use
better GUI tools for wireless
better GUI for xorg
a tool to use root sessions easily

as for the desktop environment, right now it will have to be gnome until KDE4 is more user friendly.

cardinals_fan
March 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Zenwalk + pacman + community the size of Ubuntu's

Rashedul
March 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I noticed Pacman being mentioned several times. Out of curiosity, what makes Pacman better than apt-get/Synaptic?

My Dream Distro for now:

1) Without Flash Video crash bug. As long as the distro Firefox won't crash sometimes while playing flash videos (like youtube) with compiz. I've been experiencing this since Feisty, Gutsy and now even in Hardy.

2) Full 3D Support - ATI Drivers still suck. Check out flickering 3D issue with Compiz.

Other than those two buggy stuff I love the Ubuntu. No complaints with this distro. Rolling would be nice but I don't care enough for it.

thisllub
March 27th, 2008, 10:23 PM
All you really need is a basic xorg.conf then run nvidia-settings as root and save the file.
If you have an ATI card I am very sorry.

Arch is excellent - once you get the right nvidia driver installed.

Ebuntor
March 27th, 2008, 10:35 PM
stability of Debian
Configuration of Gentoo
Forums of Ubuntu

I'm curious, I've never used Arch, what's so great about its installation method compared to other distros?

odiseo77
March 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I think I finally found Arch to be my dream distro after years of using linux.

I'm curious, I've never used Arch, what's so great about its installation method compared to other distros?

Basically, you start with a minimal installation and after that, you decide what else to install, which DE/WM you want to install and use, how do you want your system to work, etc. Perfect for people who likes to customize and make the system work the way they want (well, maybe every linux OS would let you do all this, but Arch is perfect for this) :)

cardinals_fan
March 27th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I noticed Pacman being mentioned several times. Out of curiosity, what makes Pacman better than apt-get/Synaptic?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

Read and enjoy :)

RJ Hythloday
March 27th, 2008, 11:25 PM

I've printed out the instructions for arch, can anyone confirm that arch won't have the flash/sound gremlins that all versions of buntu have given me?

iSplicer
March 27th, 2008, 11:25 PM
You want no CLI? Thats not really linux!

binarymutant
March 27th, 2008, 11:28 PM
gnubuntu with all the right drivers but still staying gnubuntu :)

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM
To be honest? I would very much like Kubuntu KDE4 with some added polish. IE: Better grub theme and Boot splash. (main thing I liked about openSUSE) I also like the ability to choose to automatically restart to a specific OS. There is other things but yeah I like Kubuntu a lot, and some added polish to the appearance would make it great.

iSplicer
March 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Whats so good about the installation of arch?

cardinals_fan
March 27th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Whats so good about the installation of arch?
Arch is installed with only a few essential core apps and the fabulous pacman package manager. You effectively build your own system, which can then be updated with just a 'pacman -Syu'. Read the Arch Wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page) for more.

Linuxratty
March 27th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I believe Klikit Linux will have a rolling release. it will be moving up to the next KDE and HH as well.
Don't know about the rest,but you can ask and make suggestions to the developers.
http://loscompanion.com/forums/index.php

IE: Better grub theme and Boot splash. (main thing
They are working 0n a grub theme and splash screen theme.

iSplicer
March 27th, 2008, 11:57 PM
So is debian really more stable than ubuntu? Stable in what way?

Lord Illidan
March 28th, 2008, 12:05 AM
rolling release ubuntu would be awesome. I love pacman and I wish ubuntu used it. I know apt is good. but pacman is sooo fast for me! (my internet connection is 35 kbps down but with pacman I download at 100 - 1500 kbps, no joke)

Impossible. You can't download packages at a faster rate than your bandwidth (unless your ISP doesn't implement any throttling). And at the end of the day it's probably down to mirrors, not to the coding itself. That said, yaourt rocks.

My dream distro? Arch Linux - perhaps a bit easier in some places, but otherwise, it's the best distro for me.

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 12:09 AM
So is debian really more stable than ubuntu? Stable in what way?

It has a slower release cycle, and longer testing.

As a desktop user, you would not likely see it immediately, and would likely find it to be "old" as compared to Ubuntu.

Tomatz
March 28th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Debian stabilty.
Ubuntu Interface and support.
Fool Proof 3d Capability.
Fusion as standard.
An Emergency handbrake for stupid like me!
Fast boot time.
An Ice cream dispenser.
^_^

Ooh, and a voice interface....

And a jar of colemans english mustard.

:lolflag:

Bit OT but is phat paulies still going in Norwich?

gn2
March 28th, 2008, 02:15 AM
a tool to use root sessions easily

Zenwalk has a nifty tool for running a Root session in a window, called Xnest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xnest)

bwhite82
March 28th, 2008, 02:36 AM
-Grub to GDM in 3 milliseconds
-EXT8 filesystem
-USB5.0 kernel module (transfers measured in Tb/s)
-Gnome4.22.1.2

I'll check back on this post in about 20 years to see where we are.

Rashedul
March 28th, 2008, 04:59 AM
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

Read and enjoy :)

I've read that but I still don't see the advantage or difference between Pacman and apt-get/Synaptic. What I'm really wondering is why is it better than what we have now in Ubuntu? Why are people desiring it so much?

Pacman just seems like another apt-get with a different name and commands. For example, instead of updating the repo we are syncing. Instead of apt-get update type pacman -Sy. Install packages is similar to apt-get. Upgrading is similar to apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade. Quering the package database in pacman looks similar to apt-cache. Soo... ?

I'm thinking about trying arch when I get bored with Hardy.

MONODA
March 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM
actually I think archbuntu would rock. since ubuntu detects and configures that hardware for you and arch is KISS.

hhhhhx
March 28th, 2008, 07:11 AM
no mouse, no keybaord, and it will do anything i tell it, withought error

kpkeerthi
March 28th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I've read that but I still don't see the advantage or difference between Pacman and apt-get/Synaptic. What I'm really wondering is why is it better than what we have now in Ubuntu? Why are people desiring it so much?

Pacman just seems like another apt-get with a different name and commands. For example, instead of updating the repo we are syncing. Instead of apt-get update type pacman -Sy. Install packages is similar to apt-get. Upgrading is similar to apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade. Quering the package database in pacman looks similar to apt-cache. Soo... ?

I'm thinking about trying arch when I get bored with Hardy.

While pacman can do everything apt-get can do, it does it faster. pacman "installs" a package faster than apt-get including dependency resolution.

It has flexible command line switches that ease fixing broken dependencies (-Rd, -Rsn, -Rsnc) should something go wrong.

Use tupac (Turbo pacman) wrapper and get your searches in milliseconds.

Pacman can download from multiple mirrors simultaneously. If you have bandwidth, you can use it to the fullest extent.