PDA

View Full Version : Buy RAM whilst it's cheap?

regomodo
March 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM
`

heartburnkid
March 27th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I voted yes before I looked at your sig... you've go 4 gigs of RAM already. You don't really need more right now.

Jeff Rage
March 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I'm building a new box. Originally I was going to go with 2 GB. After seeing the prices, I went with 4.

And I actually considered getting 8!

solitaire
March 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Alway's buy when it's cheep.

Most of the Memory makers are in Japan (lots of earthquakes) every time there's a shake they have to stop production to redo all the Clean Areas. So memory tends to jump up 1 month after a quake.

Also if you but too much wait till it goes up and sell it on eBay for a nice profit :D:D

linux phreak
March 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I think we should thank Vista for making RAM cheaper these days.

Zeotronic
March 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I think we should thank Vista for making RAM cheaper these days.
Its horrible, but you know, you may be right?

regomodo
March 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I voted yes before I looked at your sig... you've go 4 gigs of RAM already. You don't really need more right now.

Yeah, thats why i added the "why" option. ATM i rarely get above 3gb used (in Linux that is). Saying that i thought i had enough ram on my old box (2GB) before it was relegated to a headless box running Abaqus models. It needs more RAM and pc3200 is expensive now.

rolnics
March 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Also if you but too much wait till it goes up and sell it on eBay for a nice profit :D:D

That sounds like a corker of an idea!

I was looking the other day at PC prices in general, and I was surprised how cheap you can get one for now. Considering when i made my current P4 at least 5yrs ago it wasn't far off a grand (£1,000) and its a pretty basic machine!!

Next payday the plan is to buy at least 2gb of ram and keep buying different parts until I have a new PC admittedly, it might take some time to materialize!!!

Linuxratty
March 28th, 2008, 01:46 AM

So did I. Great gibbering gerbils.Four gigs is gracious plenty. And it's WAY more than you need for Linux. I have two gigs on my Linux box and it's quite fast.
Why in the world do you even need that much? Are you planning to get Vista!?