PDA

View Full Version : Why are you an open source developer?

matt_man22
March 27th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Hi all,

I am doing a research paper into open source and it would be a great help to know why developers do programming for open source software. This following would be useful:

1. Are you an active developer, why?
2. Do you have a full-time job besides open source programming
3. Do you enjoy being an open source developer?

Thanks, I appreciate any responses I can get.

hhhhhx
March 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM
well, i am not a developer, but i know something that may help you. theres a movie about dev/linux/FOSS/etc.. that jumps all around that subject. it is called revolution OS. it should be available someware on the net. but if you cant find it PM me and i will upload it someware for you :)

matt_man22
March 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks, that is helpful. Any developers around to comment?

p_quarles
March 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
There are a handful of Ubuntu developers who hang out in this forum, but the vast majority of us are simply users.

From what I have observed, many open source developers participate because they enjoy programming and have an interest in improving large, collaborative projects. Some, but not all, join open source projects out of a political belief in software freedom. Many others are paid for their work, though this obviously does not preclude an interest in programming nor a belief in software freedom.

The F/LOSS development community is huge, so the answers to your questions are going to be inclusive of virtually all imaginable answers, I think.

aysiu
March 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
1. Are you an active developer, why?
2. Do you have a full-time job besides open source programming
3. Do you enjoy it? I'm not a developer of any software--open source or closed source.

red_Marvin
March 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM
1) I know how to program in a few languages, but what I do is mostly for, my own needs, however I would not have a problem sharing my code, so others may benefit, for free - so I guess that is a yes -ish: I have the spirit but not the skills and I am not professional
2) I am a student.
3) Which one? Yes to both anyway.

matt_man22
March 27th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I meant enjoy coding open source. I'll clarify it in my first post. Thanks for the response though.