PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Simple task?

jflaker
March 27th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I have a simple task:

I have 3 folders with files in them. the file names are SOMETHING.SOMETHING.....so here is what I need to do.

I want to get each file name in these folders and rename them by chopping the "SOMETHING." from the beginning of the name and adding a ".txt" to the end of the name so my windows system can associate notepad and/or wordpad with the file.

There are about 4000 - 5000 files, so manually renaming is not an option.

dashnak
March 27th, 2008, 02:28 AM
You could try PyRenamer (http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/pyRenamer)

jflaker
March 27th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I found it in synaptic.....going to check it out.

and, oops, there are close to 21,000 files, my last estimate was for a single folder.

scragar
March 27th, 2008, 02:43 AM
rather basic shell script to quickly add ".txt" to the end of all file names in a directory:

#!/bin/bash

#
# simle renaming script
#
for i in `ls $1`
do

mv $i $i.txt

done

just save, make executable, then run it like so:

path to this script path to folder you want to rename contents of

ghostdog74
March 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
rather basic shell script to quickly add ".txt" to the end of all file names in a directory:

#!/bin/bash

#
# simle renaming script
#
for i in `ls $1`
do

cp $i $i.txt

done

just save, make executable, then run it like so:

path to this script path to folder you want to rename contents of

ls is not needed. Instead, use shell expansion.

scragar
March 27th, 2008, 03:01 AM
ls is not needed. Instead, use shell expansion.
forgive me, but I tend not to work with shell scripting(or bash all that much actualy), so how would I do that then?

ghostdog74
March 27th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I have a simple task:

I have 3 folders with files in them. the file names are SOMETHING.SOMETHING.....so here is what I need to do.

I want to get each file name in these folders and rename them by chopping the "SOMETHING." from the beginning of the name and adding a ".txt" to the end of the name so my windows system can associate notepad and/or wordpad with the file.

There are about 4000 - 5000 files, so manually renaming is not an option.

snippet:

# a=test.txt
# echo ${a%.*}
test

using a for loop, loop through the directory

for files in directory
do
mv files <fill in the blank>
done

ghostdog74
March 27th, 2008, 03:05 AM
forgive me, but I tend not to work with shell scripting(or bash all that much actualy), so how would I do that then?

for f in dir/*
do
echo $f
done

EvilMarshmallow
March 27th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Question: don't you need to remove the old version? When I read that script, I see a copy of every file... does cp replace the original file, or will the script leave us with 2 copies of the contents? If I were writing the script, I'd have added a "rm -f $i" to that.

scragar
March 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM
ah, get you now.

I was wondering why trying to fit everything on one line was causing errors(origional source said something along lines of:

for i in `ls`; do; echo $i; done;
but I couldn't get this to work :P

YldGuy
March 27th, 2008, 03:09 AM
forgive me if i say something stupid but isnt there a way to change the file association in Windows?. I can say the file of ".SOMETHING" extension be opened only by notepad/wordpad in Windows. Won't this solve the problem?

scragar
March 27th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Question: don't you need to remove the old version? When I read that script, I see a copy of every file... does cp replace the original file, or will the script leave us with 2 copies of the contents? If I were writing the script, I'd have added a "rm -f $i" to that.

yeah, it was a testing failsafe that didn't work, just replace cp with mv and it's all good.

final working code then:

$ for i in `ls`
> do
> mv $i $i.txt
> doneor you could try:
for i in `ls`; do mv $i $i.txt; done

jflaker
March 27th, 2008, 03:26 AM
forgive me if i say something stupid but isnt there a way to change the file association in Windows?. I can say the file of ".SOMETHING" extension be opened only by notepad/wordpad in Windows. Won't this solve the problem?

The file names are like this

xxxx.AllDifferentNames

Which is why I asked. So, Looking at the replies, I think there are details that were missed....

I want to strip away everyhing from the the beginning of the file name, up to and including the dot. I then want to append a ".txt" to the end of the name so windows knows it is a text file.

All good information either way..........

I dowloaded PyRenamer, which worked very well. It would still be interesting to see some code either way

pmasiar
March 27th, 2008, 03:28 AM

What about Python scripting? That would be easy.

Seems like you want specialized renaming tool - but writing customized solution (exactly what you need) in Python should take not more than an hour, faster than researching/downloading/installing/learning tool, IMHO.

ghostdog74
March 27th, 2008, 05:00 AM
ah, get you now.

I was wondering why trying to fit everything on one line was causing errors(origional source said something along lines of:

for i in `ls`; do; echo $i; done;
but I couldn't get this to work :P

like i said, use shell expansion to avoid errors due to the complication of file names with spaces.

# ls -1
file with spaces
filewithnospaces
# for i in `ls`; do echo "$i"; done
file
with
spaces
filewithnospaces
# for i in *; do echo "$i"; done
file with spaces
filewithnospaces
# for i in `ls`; do cp "$i" "$i".txt; done
cp: cannot stat `file': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `with': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `spaces': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `file': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `with': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `spaces.txt': No such file or directory
# for i in *; do cp "$i" "$i".txt; done
# ls -1
file with spaces
file with spaces.txt
filewithnospaces
filewithnospaces.txt

scragar
March 27th, 2008, 05:05 AM
blast, spaces in file names, never thought about that.

WW
March 27th, 2008, 05:40 AM
rename could also work:

$ ls -1
asdf.Bfile
not_this
qwer.Afile
s p a c e s.Dfile
uiop.E file with spaces
zxcv.Cfile
$ rename 's/.*\.([^.]+)/$1.txt/' *
$ ls -1
Afile.txt
Bfile.txt
Cfile.txt
Dfile.txt
E file with spaces.txt
not_this
$

mssever
March 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM
$ for i in `ls`

The ls command is meant to be human-readable. Its output isn't safe for parsing (filenames can contain spaces and newlines). Use
for i in * instead.

lloyd_b
March 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM
The file names are like this

xxxx.AllDifferentNames

Which is why I asked. So, Looking at the replies, I think there are details that were missed....

I want to strip away everyhing from the the beginning of the file name, up to and including the dot. I then want to append a ".txt" to the end of the name so windows knows it is a text file.

All good information either way..........

I dowloaded PyRenamer, which worked very well. It would still be interesting to see some code either way

#!/bin/bash

# Loop through all files in the current directory
for FILE in *; do

# Take everything after the period, and move it to EXT
EXT=`echo "$FILE" | cut -d '.' -f 2`

# Concatenate ".txt" onto EXT to create the new filename
NEWFILE="$EXT.txt"

# Move the old file to the new name
mv "$FILE" "$NEWFILE"

done

Note that this is a pretty simple script, and lacks a lot of error checking. For instance, it doesn't verify that actually is a period in the filename, that there is actually something after the period, and that we aren't accidentally overwriting an existing file. But for your situation it would probably have done the job.

Note: If you consider this solved, then please go to the "Thread Tools" and mark it as such.

Lloyd B.

ghostdog74
March 27th, 2008, 09:08 AM
[CODE]#!/bin/bash
# Take everything after the period, and move it to EXT
EXT=`echo "$FILE" | cut -d '.' -f 2`

if the filename is like blah.blah.ext, then using the cut method with -f 2 might not get the desired results

lloyd_b
March 27th, 2008, 10:33 AM
if the filename is like blah.blah.ext, then using the cut method with -f 2 might not get the desired results

True. I mentioned the possibility of no period, but too many periods would be just as bad.

EXT=`echo "$FILE" | awk -F"." '{print $NF}'`
would be a good solution - it grabs the last field, regardless of the number of periods, and as an added bonus if there are no periods, it returns the entire input string (where cut would return an empty string).

Lloyd B.

Wybiral
March 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Python:

import os
for fullname in os.listdir("./"):
name, extension = fullname.split(".")
os.rename(fullname, name + ".txt")

lloyd_b
March 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Python:

import os
for fullname in os.listdir("./"):
name, extension = fullname.split(".")
os.rename(fullname, name + ".txt")

Actually, for the original question it would be

os.rename(fullname, extension + ".txt")

One issue (basically, the same one Ghostdog brought up in regards to my script) - the script crashes if there is more than one period in a filename, or if there is no period in the filename.

Lloyd B.

Wybiral
March 27th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Actually, for the original question it would be

os.rename(fullname, extension + ".txt")

One issue (basically, the same one Ghostdog brought up in regards to my script) - the script crashes if there is more than one period in a filename, or if there is no period in the filename.

Lloyd B.
Ah, I didn't realize you needed the right side. What should it do if there are more than one (or zero) periods?

EDIT:

Oh, something like this then?

import os
for name in os.listdir("./"):
os.rename(fullname, name.split(".")[-1] + ".txt")

ghostdog74
March 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ah, I didn't realize you needed the right side. What should it do if there are more than one (or zero) periods?

>>> s="file.file.txt"
>>> import os
>>> os.path.splitext(s)
('file.file', '.txt')
>>>

ghostdog74
March 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
EXT=`echo "$FILE" | awk -F"." '{print $NF}'`

if using bash , no need to call external command.

# s="file.file.txt"
# echo ${s##*.}
txt
# s="file"
# echo ${s##*.}
file

of course, using awk is almost always guaranteed to work in different *nixes.

jflaker
March 28th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks for all the input. I am a programmer, but I am not that familiar with Python so........as always, there are MANY ways to skin a cat.

As I said earlier, PyRename worked wonders but I wanted to see some good code......

Thanks EVERYONE who answered

dashnak
March 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Glad to know PyRename worked