PDA

View Full Version : Phishing site: amazpn.us

x1a4
March 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Hi,

I just encountered a phishing site masquerading as Amazon.com. The url is amazpn.us. If you're an Amazon shopper be sure not to submit any of your info to them.

enchantedsky
March 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
After a while, it redirects you to Amazon.com. I don't understand what it's trying to phish from you......is it faking Amazon.com's URL in Firefox, when it's still on amazpn.us?

LaRoza
March 27th, 2008, 02:02 AM
After a while, it redirects you to Amazon.com. I don't understand what it's trying to phish from you......is it faking Amazon.com's URL in Firefox, when it's still on amazpn.us?

It is trying to make you think it is amazon, by getting the amazon content, but it will most likely eventually try to get you to "validate" yourself, by asking for information.

x1a4
March 27th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Are you saying that site's legit :?: It seems like they've just leached stuff of of Amazon. They even claim to be Amazon.com. If the site were legitimate it should have an Amazpn.us logo, not Amazon.com, shouldn't it? :confused:

LaRoza
March 27th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Are you saying that site's legit :?: It seems like they've just leached stuff of of Amazon. They even claim to be Amazon.com. If the site were legitimate it should have an Amazpn.us logo, not Amazon.com, shouldn't it? :confused:

No, I am saying it is doing its best to fool you, and then ask for information.

Ozor Mox
March 27th, 2008, 02:20 AM
No, I am saying it is doing its best to fool you, and then ask for information.

But anywhere where it asks you for your password, you get redirected back to the real amazon.com.

LaRoza
March 27th, 2008, 02:27 AM
But anywhere where it asks you for your password, you get redirected back to the real amazon.com.

Don't trust it, it can be clever in ways that aren't immediately apparent. (It might be a hidden frame, or something that is able to steal your information)

LookTJ
March 27th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Upon further research, it's not a phish

[tjl@tjl-laptop ~]$ host amazpn.us
amazpn.us has address 72.21.206.5
amazpn.us has address 72.21.210.11
amazpn.us has address 72.21.203.1
[tjl@tjl-laptop ~]$ host amazon.com
amazon.com has address 72.21.206.5
amazon.com has address 72.21.203.1
amazon.com has address 72.21.210.11

Ozor Mox
March 27th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Upon further research, it's not a phish

[tjl@tjl-laptop ~]$ host amazpn.us
amazpn.us has address 72.21.206.5
amazpn.us has address 72.21.210.11
amazpn.us has address 72.21.203.1
[tjl@tjl-laptop ~]$ host amazon.com
amazon.com has address 72.21.206.5
amazon.com has address 72.21.203.1
amazon.com has address 72.21.210.11

Hmm, interesting. Maybe it's one of those cases where someone registered the spoof site and Amazon acquired the rights to the domain name, and now just use it as a redirect of sorts.

Not that I would enter my password or anything else into it!

LookTJ
March 27th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Hmm, interesting. Maybe it's one of those cases where someone registered the spoof site and Amazon acquired the rights to the domain name, and now just use it as a redirect of sorts.

Not that I would enter my password or anything else into it!Hmm, upon google search, I find this: http://www.domaintools.com/products/reports/reverse-ip.html?sample=1

sunexplodes
March 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I did a whois, it's owned by Amazon.com.

wieman01
March 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Perhaps Amazon had it registered in order to AVOID phishing.

chrisccoulson
March 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Amazon have registered these domains so that you will still get directed to Amazon.com even if you make some common spelling mistakes in the address bar.

x1a4
March 27th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Amazon have registered these domains so that you will still get directed to Amazon.com even if you make some common spelling mistakes in the address bar.

Looks like that's the case. I just got a reply from Amazon about it and they confirmed it's their domain. Still looks like a phishing site though, and I'll only use amazon.com and amazon.ca .

klange
March 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Personally, I find it rather odd that they own amazpn.us but not amazon.us...

Google Spider
March 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Why don't they just write there that you've reached a redirect to amazon.com, instead of showing all those products. Like ubuntuforums.com (http://www.ubuntuforums.com/) has.