PDA

View Full Version : Good Ubuntu laptop

valter
October 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Does somebody know a good laptop to use with ubuntu?
Canonical should earn money with selling/recommending PC and laptops that work well with Ubuntu. It would be coal for companies too - to be in "Ubuntu supported" list or something?

aysiu
October 9th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Have you seen this?

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/custom/hplaptops

izmaelis
October 9th, 2005, 07:28 PM
I have HP Pavilion ze4910us laptop and it works just fine with Ubuntu Hoary (although this model is not enlisted).

valter
October 9th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Wow (I haven't seen that), thanks. I think I will take HP NC6120 then :).

valter
October 9th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I have HP Pavilion ze4910us laptop and it works just fine with Ubuntu Hoary (although this model is not enlisted).
Nobody selling it here in Estonia :) thanks anyway

izmaelis
October 9th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Nobody selling it here in Estonia :) thanks anyway
Yeah, there are no such model for sell in Lithuania either, but I had a chance to by it in USA at BestBuy for very nice price. It's not so powerful machine, but it's enough for my basic needs.

phen
October 9th, 2005, 10:00 PM
nc6120 is a very nice laptop! i use it, it works perfectly!
i've heard rumours that it will stay that way in breezy..

so if you like the specs, ask hp for a linux version, go and bug them a little. maybe they will offer it in your both countries soon?! you do something good for the linux world, i think

Ubunted
October 9th, 2005, 10:35 PM
IBM Thinkpads have a history of working quite well with Ubuntu, probably thanks to IBM's investment in Linux. I belive they also have a better reliability rating overall than HP's. The downside though, is that they are very much geared to business use and less so for multimedia.

valter
October 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM
so if you like the specs, ask hp for a linux version, go and bug them a little. maybe they will offer it in your both countries soon?! you do something good for the linux world, i think

I had that on my mind too ;)

jFrazier
October 10th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I have Breazy installed on a dell inspiron 8000. It seams to work fine. The only issue I ran into was a warning about running out of room in /var during the install.