PDA

View Full Version : Media Display program

MatthewMetzger
December 6th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Hello,

I volunteer at a youth center and I've thought of a program that would be very useful. On friday nights we have an open recreation / hang out time and we play music in the background. We have a projector display that we use from showing videos and for karaoke. I would like to have a program designed to display what song and artist is being played, along with additional information. We could use the projector to display this info. It would be nice if we could call pictures, such as album cover art and other shots of bands.

I know there are similar programs, but I'm thinking of something that would be particularly suited to large format display. I'm commiting myself to learning python and I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to use already existing multimedia modules (such as those pertaining to ID3 tags) to accomplish my goal.

I'm interested in experience programmers' thoughts, ideas, and advice concerning this project. Also, there may be a program out there that already does what I'm looking for. Of course, I'd like it to run on ubuntu.

thanks in advance.
MatthewMetzger

MatthewMetzger
December 6th, 2004, 06:12 PM
After-thought: I'm thinking this program could be a rhythmbox plugin or skin of some sort.

dataw0lf
December 7th, 2004, 01:13 AM
There are numerous full screen XMMS plugins suitable for this. I'm not sure of other media players.
xmms fope lyfe ;)
dataw0lf

randy
December 7th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Python seems like a good choice to me in terms of the api's you'd need. You might want to look into extending rhythmbox though. It's got an okay plugin architecture and is being kept up to date. You might also want to checkout Muine even though you'd end up doing your programming in C#. It's got support for ID3 Tags and Album Art already.