PDA

View Full Version : The Silverlight Curse

nonly1n
March 26th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Its funny how Silverlight is the answer to fast online HQ Video Streaming now that stage6 is down...it gets way funnier when you start to think about why Linux support is never even considered. Maybe they enjoy seeing how much someone is going to work for free to do something they have already done and made money off, its mean but someone has to see the humor. When moonlight becomes stable and is widely distributed thanks to a caring bunch, i fail to see the humor then...now i have completely lost myself...

madjr
March 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
yes it sucks. anything coming from m$ can't be good in the end..

flash also sucks (in linux compared to the others), but at least we got an official plugin.

and the open ones are starting to catch up (swfdec)

this will be an up hill battle.

But as long as things work ...

i trust adobe more on this

forrestcupp
March 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM
What are you talking about? According to this article (http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/09/moonlight-silverlight-for-linu.html), Microsoft is fully collaborating with the development of moonlight.

# Today we are formalizing a collaboration between Microsoft and Novell with the explicit purpose of bringing Silverlight to Linux and do this in a fully supported way. The highlights of this collaboration include: ... Microsoft will give Novell access to the test suites for Silverlight to ensure that we have a compatible specification. The same test suite that Microsoft uses for Silverlight.
# Microsoft will give us access to the Silverlight specifications: details that might be necessary to implement 1.0, beyond what is currently published on the web; and specifications on the 1.1 version of Silverlight as it is updated.
# Microsoft will make the codecs for video and audio available to users of Moonlight from their web site. The codecs will be binary codecs, and they will only be licensed for use with Moonlight on a web browser (sorry, those are the rules for the Media codecs [details and workarounds on Miguel's blog, as linked above]).
# Novell will implement Silverlight 1.0 and 1.1 and will distribute it for the major Linux distributions at the time of the shipment. We will offer some kind of one-click install for Linux users (no "Open a terminal and type su followed by your password..." as well as RPM and DEB packages for the major distros and operating systems. This is an historical collaboration between an open source project and Microsoft. They have collaborated with other folks on the server space (Xen and PHP) but this is their first direct contribution to the open source desktop.

So how can you say Linux support was never even considered? It was considered from the beginning, and moonlight is its implementation.

DeadSuperHero
March 26th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I actually tried it on Windows XP, in the other room.
And honestly, it was actually kind of nice! I wish it were a FOSS product, but it's not. Oh well.
Speaking of which, are there any truly free alternatives to Flash and Silverlight? I recall that Java had something in the works by Sun, can't seem to fully remember, though.

Ebuntor
March 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM
What are you talking about? According to this article (http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/09/moonlight-silverlight-for-linu.html), Microsoft is fully collaborating with the development of moonlight.

So how can you say Linux support was never even considered? It was considered from the beginning, and moonlight is its implementation.

Wow, that sure is a surprise, I had no idea. I'd almost say that deal that Novell made with Microsoft isn't all that bad considering the advantages.

madjr
March 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM

if thats true than how i get a few silverlight websites to work like:
http://www.itv.com

Raistlin82
June 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
if thats true than how i get a few silverlight websites to work like:
http://www.itv.com

I'll Second this, how can we get it to work in websites like http://www.itv.com

Had to make do with listening online to European Championships :(

LightB
June 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Feh, more like Sliverlight (get it?)

Raistlin82
June 11th, 2008, 01:55 AM

LOL had to read that twice before i got it! Having a blonde (blind) moment

gletob
July 11th, 2008, 01:58 AM

Taht is hrad baeucse our barin itrenpetrs tehm crecortly if the frist and lsat ltetres are rghit and all the ltetres are terhe.

cardinals_fan
July 11th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Taht is hrad baeucse our barin itrenpetrs tehm crecortly if the frist and lsat ltetres are rghit and all the ltetres are terhe.
I'm so saving this post... it's truly classic :)

Yuki_Nagato
July 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM
now that stage6 is down...

R.I.P. Stage6. DivX is still the generally best encoding format I have seem on the web.

bruce89
July 11th, 2008, 02:04 AM
/me waits for proper embedded video (preferably Dirac).

R.I.P. Stage6. DivX is still the generally best encoding format I have seem on the web.

Even with the whole OpenDivX thing?

gletob
July 11th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I'm so saving this post... it's truly classic :)

Why cus I posted in it :)

cardinals_fan
July 11th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Why cus I posted in it :)
The random scattering of letters is insanely artistic :)

geoken
July 11th, 2008, 04:07 AM

That's only because DivX networks, which owned stage6, broke the bank with their bitrates to make DivX seem like it was the best format. The fact that they had to encode the videos to such a high bitrate that they couldn't afford to keep running the site says a lot as far as I'm concerned.

Go watch some of the higher definition stuff on Vimeo. To my eyes it's indistinguishable from the stuff that used to be on stage6. I think the HD stuff is H.264.

Polygon
July 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM
i cant tell the difference between XviD and DivX videos if they are encoded similarly. Not to mention that Xvid and x264 are open source...all it would take is someone to host a similiar website like stage 6 that played hidef x264 videos.