PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Replace Rhythmbox With?

Afoot
March 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Rhythmbox just doesn't work for me. Sometimes it can play mp3 files, but only under certain conditions. It doesn't play podcasts in mp3 format from the Podcasts library tab, but it plays them if I try to play them from the Music library tab. ... I like its layout though. Any suggestions on what to switch to?

Julita
March 26th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I use VLC. I think it is the best.

peitschie
March 26th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Try Exaile or Banshee. I'm intruiged as to why Rhythmbox doesn't work though...

DoktorSeven
March 26th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I am addicted to Amarok. It just works beautifully for me.

bonzodog
March 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM
There are SO many media players now available for linux.

Some of the most popular are:

Amarok (uses qt/kde libs)
Exaile
Banshee
mpd + Sonata(my current favourite)
Audacious (Winamp-like player)
Quod Libet

marckie
March 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Rhythmbox just doesn't work for me. Sometimes it can play mp3 files, but only under certain conditions. It doesn't play podcasts in mp3 format from the Podcasts library tab, but it plays them if I try to play them from the Music library tab. ... I like its layout though. Any suggestions on what to switch to?

exaile all the way... and it has a plugin for AWN... Yipee!:guitar:

ryanhaigh
March 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
It depends how you have your music organised. I don't like using the media library functions of players like amarok and banshee as I have kept my audio collection well organised in my filesystem but their tags are often incomplete. I used to use audacious/bmp/xmms which were similar to earlier winamp versions. I then found decibel audio player which is very simple and has a nice filebrowser mode by default with the ability to use library mode as well (although I haven't tested it). The app also support for what I consider the most essential features system tray icon that can hide the player and gnome-keybinding integration so that you can pause/skip etc using the keyboard. The only thing I miss is the ability to play streaming radio but totem is ok at that although I do miss notifications of what song is playing (another thing decibel has)
Get an installable deb from here:
http://decibel.silent-blade.org/
Or there is an older version in the repos:
apt://decibel-audio-player

If you do like the library mode Amarok may be the go, its kde based but don't let that put you off I have heard that some people have changed to Linux just because of this application (I don't get all the hype but it is certainly one feature packed audio player). I believe exaile is an attempt at amarok for gnome so you may want to check that out.

adityakavoor
March 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM
banshee is the way to go

vikrant82
March 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
1. Amarok
2. Banshee

mlentink
March 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Banshee and VLC work for me.
VLC especially because I use a dual boot system end now I have the same players on Ubuntu and Win

Circus-Killer
March 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
another vote for exaile. its all i will ever use. ;)

kpkeerthi
March 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I needed a player to play, manage my library and sync iPod. Banshee does all these perfectly OK for me. exaile couldn't even display files from my iPod properly. I don't want to use Amarok as I want my setup completely KDE-free.

It all really depends what your needs are. There are many options. Try and use that one that 'works' for you. There is no one-that-could-get-you-everything media player.

SanskritFritz
March 26th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Also you may check out this site:
http://www.getdeb.net/category.php?id=1

rudihawk
March 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM
+1 for Banshee

I've tried all the others, Banshee works the best for me.

billgoldberg
March 26th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Exaile, been using it for some time now and it's great.

Afoot
March 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses!

Well, I'm using hardy heron, so that may be why Rhythmbox doesn't quite work. II've actually found Banshee to be unreliable as well. Random crashes... Audacious is too light weight. I want a gnome only environment so Amarok is a no (although I prefer to use it in KDE). I will try Exaile and Quod Libet for the time being. Can MPD/Sonata handle podcasts?

Trail
March 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Amarok all the way. Better than anything.

Afoot
March 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I tried out Exaile and Quod Libet just now, but I didn't really like any of them. Maybe my best option would be to fix Rhythmbox?