PDA

View Full Version : Hardy Heron Beta

Piankeshaw
March 26th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I updated to the Hardy Heron Beta today and am pleased so far EXCEPT I just cannot find a font that displays clearly or that I am happy about. A friend that became a recent Ubuntu convert from Windows XP had the same comments. Firebox 3 beta 4 is the default browser and it really flies, again, EXCEPT the fonts in the browser window make it very difficult to read. Anyone else having the same problems or just thoughts on Hardy Heron????

simon.a.ruiz
March 26th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hmm, I haven't noticed a difference. I'll look again.

Have you tried playing with the settings at System -> Preferences -> Appearances -> Fonts?

A buddy of mine was quite please with his fonts after flipping some switches there:

http://blog.rfquerin.org/2008/03/05/ubuntu-firefox-gnome-and-slight-hinting/

DJ_Peng
March 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I ended up using completely different fonts after reading this blog post on the Evolution fonts (http://crunchbang.org/archives/2007/10/31/liberation-fonts-for-ubuntu/). Which reminds me, I need to make sure there's a Brainstorm idea for getting them into the repos and Ubuntu Intrepid.

Kiri
March 27th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I updated to the Hardy Heron Beta today and am pleased so far EXCEPT I just cannot find a font that displays clearly or that I am happy about. A friend that became a recent Ubuntu convert from Windows XP had the same comments. Firebox 3 beta 4 is the default browser and it really flies, again, EXCEPT the fonts in the browser window make it very difficult to read. Anyone else having the same problems or just thoughts on Hardy Heron????

I agree the firefox fonts are awful. I've installed the liberation fonts, and adjusted hinting, etc. which made them 'readable' but still extremely unattractive.

The system fonts are ok though.

DJ_Peng
March 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I ended up switching to the DejaVu fonts which look great both on the desktop and in Firefox. Although I'm surprised that at this late date in Firefox 3 development they haven't noticed that font rendering on Linux looks so much poorer than in the regular system.

Kiri
March 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hopefully the next beta will fix it