PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft - "No such thing as free Software...."

solitaire
March 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Microsoft:
Paulo Ferreira, the platform strategy manager at Microsoft South Africa, said: There is no such thing as free software. Nobody develops software for charity."

Story continues....

He added: "For innovation to continue, there needs to be value - and even open-source applications have some form of market model, which incentivises them to continue innovating."

Some international software makers have been against open-source software, which has been promoted by local information technology (IT) mogul Mark Shuttleworth.

Fraser-Moleketi was quoted saying: "Open standards are a critical factor in building interoperable systems that are important to governments …

"In South African we have a document - the minimum interoperability standards - which includes the use of open document format."

Ferreira said that Microsoft was working with key industry partners, including open-source communities, to develop interoperable solutions that met customer needs.

Read the full thing here:

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/3258.html

*note*

it's not nice to attack Microsoft for these ill conceived comments.

but it IS fun :D:D

keep replys civil :D:D:lolflag:

DeadSuperHero
March 25th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Wow, guess they've never heard of GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Firefox, OpenOffice.org, GnuCash, and ALL their related components and additional apps.

I think Redmond needs a local library.

cajunbulldog
March 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:So many uncivil things come to mind!!

fela
March 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM
i don't really give a *censored* about microsoft, i feel nothing for them. What they say is NULL. Ignore them.

we can have fun with Linux and other open source software (and work aswell :D) without having to worry about Billy gates and his silly bloated company. :guitar:

personally, i have never used windows inside of my own house natively, and never will.

waspbr
March 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Actually I am curious, does canonical or other free distro makers make any money? how?

FuturePilot
March 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
So what really is this Gnome thing I use everyday?

DeadSuperHero
March 25th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Now, I think we should do the right thing, and be philanthropists. If we raise enough money, we can help build a library for Redmond, and all the poor illiterate MS Developers will learn to read and write.
Or, we could mail them OLPC's. Who knows?
Peace, not war!

fela
March 25th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Actually I am curious, does canonical or other free distro makers make any money? how?

i thought Mark Shuttleworth was donating money to the project, and that's how it funded itself...is that right?

Erik Trybom
March 25th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Paulo Ferreira, the platform strategy manager at Microsoft South Africa, said: There is no such thing as free software. Nobody develops software for charity."

Vim is distributed free as charityware. If you find Vim a useful addition to your life please consider helping needy children in Uganda.

solitaire
March 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
They do Corporate "Paid-for" Support.
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid
and training:
http://www.ubuntu.com/training

zmjjmz
March 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Someone said in there that FOSS lacks a rich set of documentation.
Like Windows.

init1
March 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Someone said in there that FOSS lacks a rich set of documentation.
Like Windows.

With FOSS, the source is the documentation.

smoker
March 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM

hmm, this pc in front of me must be running on a 'figment of my imagination!' lol

i just want to thank all the selfless people who help develop open source software. no matter the their reasons for doing so, they are adding value and interest to the lives of many the world over.

value isn't just about 'money'

maybe 'shipit' could send Paulo Ferreira a free ubuntu cd, lol

LaRoza
March 25th, 2008, 10:06 PM
mv /microsoft/corporation /dev/null

Paqman
March 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Canonical is a regular commercial company, so it is absolutely designed to make money. As I understand it, selling support contracts is supposed to be their main income.

The Ubuntu project itself however, is non-profit.

The Titan
March 25th, 2008, 10:28 PM

absolute genius

days_of_ruin
March 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
"incentivises"
what?

And why do microsoft people always say "value"?

LaRoza
March 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM
absolute genius

Not really. Quite standard for removing unwanted files.

In *nix, everything is a file. You hear that MS?

tgalati4
March 25th, 2008, 10:45 PM
>grep intelligence Microsoft
>

ExpatPaul
March 25th, 2008, 10:52 PM

Sneakily trying to obscure the difference between libre and gratis, I see.

BL00dFox
March 25th, 2008, 10:54 PM
i thought Mark Shuttleworth was donating money to the project, and that's how it funded itself...is that right?

That Mark person sure sounds like a nice guy!

chrisccoulson
March 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM

chr1s@chris-desktop:/$ mv /microsoft/corporation /dev/null
mv: inter-device move failed: `/microsoft/corporation' to `/dev/null'; unable to remove target: Permission denied

I think you mean:

sudo mv /microsoft/corporation /dev/null

Dr. C
March 25th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Sneakily trying to obscure the difference between libre and gratis, I see.

Deliberately trying to confuse "Free as in Speech" with "Free as in Beer" in order to spread FUD does seem to me a very plausible explanation. On the other hand Paulo Ferreira may not know the difference. Minister Geraldine Fraser-Moleketi was obviously referring to "Free as in Speech".

BobSongs
March 25th, 2008, 11:17 PM
mv: inter-device move failed: `/microsoft/corporation' to `/dev/null'; unable to remove target: Permission denied
I think you mean:

Yikes!! I just tried that code and my entire Windows partition went spinning around ... and around ... and ... around ... and now it's gone!

How... how do I thank you? ;)

LaRoza
March 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM

I think you mean:

sudo chmod u+x /microsoft/corporation

LaRoza
March 25th, 2008, 11:19 PM
How... how do I thank you? ;)[/FONT]

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702596

BobSongs
March 25th, 2008, 11:23 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702596
Done, done and done.

Saint Angeles
March 25th, 2008, 11:38 PM
linux doesnt exist. it never did. you've never heard of it and you aren't interested in it.

now go use windows!!

klange
March 26th, 2008, 12:17 AM
It's sheer idiocy to think that truly free software doesn't exist. $0 software is all around us. I know I didn't write any of my stuff for any sort of physical profit.

derekr44
March 26th, 2008, 12:18 AM
linux doesnt exist. it never did. you've never heard of it and you aren't interested in it.

now go use windows!!

The Matrix has you.

Saint Angeles
March 26th, 2008, 02:14 AM
The Matrix has you.

but the matrix was prolly linux software

i don't think microsoft could do that.

dagrump
March 26th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I think this mouthpiece is aware that S Ballmer can launch intercontinental chairs, & therefore is afraid. But, the rest of us can only laugh, they don't see their empire slowly falling apart at the seams.
Can you say Vista, I'm sure you can, but , why would you want too?

init1
March 26th, 2008, 03:05 AM
but the matrix was prolly linux software

i don't think microsoft could do that.

sudo apt-get install cmatrix
Yep, they even included it in the repos :D

Foster Grant
March 26th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I read this earlier, and it's clear that the Microsoftie doesn't get it.

"Free software" means free as in speech. The source code is open; any member of the community is able to go in, review it and improve upon it, if they wish.

Superkoop
March 26th, 2008, 04:14 AM
#this program is 100% Free, both as in free beer and as in free speech. Anyone and everyone may do with it as they so please.
puts 'do you think free software exists? [yes or no]'
answer = gets.chomp
if answer == 'yes'
puts 'Glad you see it my way. =)'
end
if answer == 'no'
puts 'Well stupid, this program is free, and if you can say it don\'t exist, well I think you need to visit your psychologist...'
end

Free program I just wrote in Ruby, so I guess they lose...
(I know it's redundant with two 'if' statements...but I'm tired and need to go to bed. =P)

Ioky
March 26th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Well.... I think Msoft people are okay, for people who live inside a window for his whole life will never know how the real world looks like.

Every one lets feel poor for them, and if possible, place donate a dollar, just so I can buy the book "Linux for Dummy" for them.

Beside, it is not the first time, long time ago, Bill say that to the earliest apple computer founder that they are stealing there our money, because they distribution the OS along with the hardware they sell. Which OS is what he world for money. A bit difference but... you know, it is their tradition HEHE