PDA

View Full Version : Ok ubuntuforums, can you help with a TV problem

Jareth
March 25th, 2008, 07:27 PM
The problem is my tv has been on the blink for ages! It won't switch on.
It only stays on standby and the red light blinks when you try to switch it on with the remote.
Anyway, has anyone tried to fix a TV themselves. I'm willing to try because it seems like its probably something really minor and its a shame to replace it. Plus, you know the repair people will screw you for fixing a minor problem.
It has been repaired in the past and we've had it a few years now so it doesn't owe us anything.

Any pointers are much appreciated.

bonzodog
March 25th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Quick question: do you have program up/down buttons on the front of the TV?
If you do, pressing one of them should pull it out of standby. if that is not happening, then does pressing the power button on/off actually fire it up?

Jareth
March 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
When its plugged into the wall, the main power button on the tv is on, the red light comes on. If you press the channel buttons on the front of the tv the red light flicks green, back to red, over and over. Same if you try the remote.
It used to be that it came on eventually if you kept trying for half an hour or so. Then we just left the tv on ALL the time, woe be tired anyone who switched it off.

bonzodog
March 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I think it may be time to EOL it, and get a nice new LCD HD-Ready TV .

Jareth
March 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Absolutely, never heard EOL, guess it means end-of-life?
A nice flat screen HD ready would be laughin!
My bro is threatenin to turn the old one into a fish tank, its 24 inch.
Would still be good to fix it though.

popch
March 25th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Whatever you do, don't even think of opening that thing, not even when it is not plugged in. The voltages occurring in a TV set can be lethal.

Or if you do, tell us first where to send the flowers.

hessiess
March 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
if its a CRT do not open it, eather get somone who knows what thy are doing or get a new one. thay use about 30,000 volts to genorate the electron beem, which remains stored in the capacitios for a piriod after it has veen tunned off, new tv,s have a bleed risistor to let this enegy flow to earth

so long as broadcasts are interlaced tray will look better on a CRT tv. LCD's can only display progressive so de-intercase the video, which always produces artefacts and makes the image more blurry.

Jareth
March 25th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Too late, its open and surrounded by bodies.