PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned since using Ubuntu?

clanky
March 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I have only been using Ubuntu for just over a week and I have already learned so much about how my computer works and what the various bits actually do.

When using windows I knew how to switch on, install applications using a wizard and run them by double clicking. I had no idea what was inside my computer, what drivers were used to make it work in windows or how all the various bits interacted, Using Linux was a bit dauning at first, but just through having to use terminal commands to get things to work and by watching what happens when things don't work i am starting to have some idea about what is actually going on in there.

So what has everyone else learned or were you a computer genius before you started using Linux?

BDNiner
March 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I learned to better use the the Shift, Alt and Ctrl keys on the other side of the keyboard since you type so much.

americano70e10
March 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I was computer genius...

Just kidding, the other way around actualy, I've learned so much as well, It's being fun messing with ubuntu, and educational...

prshah
March 25th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have only been using Ubuntu for just over a week and I have already learned so much about how my computer works and what the various bits actually do.

So what has everyone else learned or were you a computer genius before you started using Linux?

replace "genius" with "geek".

I have also learned that a good OS doesn't just appear overnight; it evolves from something into something like Ubuntu.

aysiu
March 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I've learned the following: The best way to learn Ubuntu is to try to solve other people's problems. Every major home user operating system has its advantages and disadvantages, and they all have flaws. Most statements made about Ubuntu (positive or negative) are exaggerations. Many users here are saints. Many users here appear to be ungrateful brats. Ubuntu appears to be doing quite well, considering it doesn't come with all the proprietary codecs new users expect in order for things to "just work."

rosegarden78
March 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM

When using windows I knew how to switch on, install applications using a wizard and run them by double clicking. I had no idea what was inside my computer, what drivers were used to make it work in windows or how all the various bits interacted, Using Linux was a bit dauning at first, but just through having to use terminal commands to get things to work and by watching what happens when things don't work i am starting to have some idea about what is actually going on in there.

Not a genius but familiar with basic DOS commands, not the networking, piping and programming stuff. Had a basic concept of what partitions were before switching. Got tired of the constant nagging and Windows' BSOD and caught wind of Google having it's own operating system called Goobuntu or something like that.

First tried Ubuntu Edgy I think it had problem with Metacity and my Dell Inspiron 1200's graphics and network hardware. As of Gutsy this is handled automatically but still don't know how to use modem with efax. Got to find another thread for that one. Now I'm using UbuntuStudio. I guess the #1 thing I learned is

1) Operating systems are tools for using virtual machines with Windows.

2) VirtualBox is the answer to Windows' BSOD.

3) Download VirtualBox from Innotek to enable USB. Just Google for "Inspiron how enable usb virtualbox."

4) Never put all your eggs in one basket. See #1 - You can backup a virtual machine a single file just copy and paste. The virtual machine works independent of the host operating system. A virtual machine you create in Linux will work in VirtualBox for Windows operating system and vice versa. You can install nearly any operating system to a virtual machine.

5) Never disable Shell Hardware Detection or change VM setup.

6) USB hard disk devices must have Microsoft-compatible boot sector to work with VirtualBox running Windows. Faulty disks must be restored with a Windows XP CD.

7) UbuntuStudio can be installed to a USB hard disk or flash device.

Related articles
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=708426&highlight=ntfs+format
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4578974#post4578974
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4579361&posted=1#post4579361

drascus
March 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I have learned twice as much about computers in my first year of using Gnu/Linux as all of my years combined using MS. It wasn't that it was so much harder to use its that the information is so much more obtainable. And there is just a million ways of getting your hands down into the guts of the OS.

Superkoop
March 25th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I learned the following:

1) computers are less confusing than I previsouly thought they were.

2) computers are still very complex.

3) mastering Windows is easy. (there isn't much to master)

4) mastering Linux is going to be really hard. (there is a lot to master)

5) one day when I know more about coding and operating systems, I am going to create my own Kernal, and instead of calling it Linux, I am going to label it Popcorn, that way I can run my operating system on a popcorn kernal.

Fury5000
March 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I have been using Ubuntu from just before the release of 7.10... I have this to say about Ubuntu... its literally changed my life. I was drawn to try it from some youtube vids of Beryl in action and just had to see this for myself. After learning what Linux really was and quickly getting over the novelty of the eye candy I have discovered what an amazing OS this really is. I will never go back to Windows. Thats a big statement coming from someone who has used Win from the days it was an app that ran on DOS. I cant tell you how many people I have converted to Ubuntu and other Linux distros... Most of the public who just surf the web and check email and are not married to some windows only application should be on this OS. People just dont know what Linux really is. Think of the money thrown out on security suits by the general public keeping their XP Home editions safe from harm as they flash you warnings of massive attacks on your system that are not really happening. Scaring you into sending them money year after year. Saying yes to Linux is saying goodbye to all that BS and plenty of other BS as you all know. I still have an uber gamer pc that needs to run XP for the hot titles but thats just how it needs to be... for now...;)

What have I learned?.. that most should be using this... for soooo many reasons they don't even need to fully understand.

FuturePilot
March 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
xorg.conf like the back of my hand. ;)

Nifty little shortcuts like pressing "/" on the desktop brings up an open location dialog.

How to use the terminal to my advantage. (Some things are done better and/or faster through the terminal)

Linux really isn't that hard.

cajunbulldog
March 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I have learned more about how a os is supposed to work and how safe a os can be when the developer wishes it to be.Bad Ms leaving holes a truck could drive through!!!Still know very little about Linux but love it.:)

Twitch6000
March 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I learned that Not everything great comes with a price but is open source.
I have also learned to do so much with programming.
I also just love doodling with Ubuntu :p.

andyho
March 25th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Ok so I'm a geek.. but anyways.. Since using K/Ubuntu I've learned that:

- Linux really DOES rock!!
-You might have thought you broke it, but you didn't!!! Unlike Windows...
- If you're a linux user you obviously use your brain a little more because you're willing to take the time to actually learn about and take care of something you own, rather than passively using something you probably could care less about! ;)
- Windows sux.... A LOT!! I can't wait to be totally free from it! Viruses are dumb.
- the Ubuntu community is the bomb!! :)

No matter how many times I think about going back to Windows, it never fails that my laptop goes berserk and I count my blessing my desktop has Kubuntu!! :popcorn:

O3.
March 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Till now very little, just not to run sudo rm -rf on my terminal, thats all. :)

hessiess
March 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
too much to list it all heare:)

cardinals_fan
March 26th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I've learned to love the terminal and text files for configuration. Now I can't do without 'em :)

keykero
March 26th, 2008, 01:00 AM
1. Windows isn't as bad as I thought.
2. Linux isn't as bad as I thought.

bobbybobington
March 26th, 2008, 02:59 AM
1. An OS is like a stack of different parts, in windows land, an OS was a mysterious box that you had no idea was inside.

2. People can come together around an idea and make something amazing (aka the power of action)

3. I don't really need windows

4. Hardware Support is always improving

5. Interoperability is a must these days (apple this means you! :cry: )

6. Select and 3rd button click as copy/paste is soooo nice

7. Upgrading linux kernel headers can break my sound

8. How to fix my sound after they're broken

9.????

10. Profit

(bonus point if you can spot the meme! :grin: )

Dr Small
March 26th, 2008, 03:04 AM
2 years ago (this fall) I began with Ubuntu. The things that I could name off that I have learned are too long for a list. I have learned the ways of Linux, learned the OS and more importantly, I became interested in hardware and understand the insides of a computer now.

While on Windows, I knew basically all there was to know and became bored with the OS. Now I learn something new everyday and can live a life inside or outside a terminal :)

Dr Small