PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so difficult to edit and create themes in gnome?

manicka
October 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
This week I have spent many hours fiddling with and modifying gtk and metacity themes to get just the look I want. It was a laborious process involving manually editing config files to make changes to the themes I was working with. So after much effort and labour I finally came up with a combo that I was happy with.

Now being someone who uses a few kde apps like amaroK, k3b and klipper I decided that I needed to adjust my kde theme to match. Opened up kcontrol and 5 minutes later it was all done.

Why is it so difficult to edit and create themes in gnome? :confused:

MetalMusicAddict
October 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Why is it so difficult to edit and create themes in gnome? :confused:
Because noone has come up with a better way. ;) Like a GUI editor. Ive actually learned alot by manually editing them. Especially Clearlooks.

manicka
October 9th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Because noone has come up with a better way. ;) Like a GUI editor. Ive actually learned alot by manually editing them. Especially Clearlooks.
Agreed, I've definitely learnt alot from the process.

Perfect Storm
October 9th, 2005, 02:41 PM
The best way, is to edit a current theme which have the script etc. then you just need to put in your own or modify graphic.

.:=The AI Dude=:.

bvc
October 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Well, I'm no programmer but I've never understood why we don't have a color editor either. No matter what engine they all have a gtkrc, and concerning colors all use the same states for the same purposes, with only a few exceptions.

If it can be done for metacity (clearbox app) it can be done for gtk.
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=25060
I've looked at the source but not being a programmer get lost rather quickly. Someone that already is a programmer could easily do it. Why it hasn't already been done is beyond me.

stimpack
October 9th, 2005, 07:05 PM
x