PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft licencing policies

foxy123
October 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I wonder if there is a good web resource about Mircosoft licencing policies. I mean things like how much is pre-installed Windows in the total cost of a computer, how copmanies have to pay for Windows licence and so on. Actually, the cost of having WIndows for individuals and companies (preferably in the UK or at least Europe).

mstlyevil
October 9th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I wonder if there is a good web resource about Mircosoft licencing policies. I mean things like how much is pre-installed Windows in the total cost of a computer, how copmanies have to pay for Windows licence and so on. Actually, the cost of having WIndows for individuals and companies (preferably in the UK or at least Europe).

If you go and buy a OEM copy of Windows it is $90 US. Dell and HP probally pay1/2 to 2/3 that cost because of volume discounts. So somewhere around $60 US is the cost of Windows on a preloaded machine. (Windows XP Home)

foxy123
October 9th, 2005, 10:53 PM
If you go and buy a OEM copy of Windows it is $90 US. Dell and HP probally pay1/2 to 2/3 that cost because of volume discounts. So somewhere around $60 US is the cost of Windows on a preloaded machine. (Windows XP Home)
thanks a lot for the answer. what about corporate clients? How much do they pay for winxp pro licence?

AllenGG
October 9th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Hi Foxy, well not to shock all, but OEM prices pre-installed vary widely and wildly.
As little as Zero in some countries, as much as $70-80 USD in others. Most reputable dealers will tell you. Acer pays so little that it now costs something to order a laptop without Win XP. Go figure.
Think "printer cartridges", could they give away a printer if you promised to buy cartridges ? M$ licensing in the future is the same thing.

mstlyevil
October 10th, 2005, 12:18 AM
thanks a lot for the answer. what about corporate clients? How much do they pay for winxp pro licence?

Corporate clients pay full price for their cpoies of Win Xp Pro. They buy the key codes for each computer they run. Some larger Corporations get a discount for volume liscensing, but that varies because of how many liscenses a Corporation buys.