PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu kubuntu needs improvement

onihr
October 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I'm new to Kubuntu and I have been a Windows user forever and I see that information is too spread out for people making the transition. I have spent hours and hours doing google searches, jumping to many different forums and tuturials, reading ubuntu and kubuntu guides etc...to help me accomplish simple tasks. Most people are all ready timid and hesitant to make the transition to a linux o/s and when they do a lot of them give up on it thinking it's too difficult. I don't think it's impossible for people to learn I think what makes it difficult is the lack of organization,structure, and focused support for transitioning windows users.

There should be a page just for windows users that breaks it down from point a to z. Here are some of the problems I encountered;

1. Burning the iso image file on cd(I had to do a google search to find this info on some boondock website/waisted a few cdr's when I tried using the nero wizard)
2. Once installed no interactive or visual wizard type tutorial to get accustomed to KDE(KDE's quick tutorial could be improved. I know it can be improved. Kubuntu is powerful-don't tell me we can't hook it up with a flash tutorial or something interactive with voice and sound. I think the goal should be to have great support and tutorials that will make windows look difficult to use from a newbs prospective)
3. Windows users are used to "my computer" or knowing where their drives and files are(again a really quick tutorial at start up would be nice explaining the most common features"interactive tutorial would be ideal with tux doing the instructing")
4. I used up a lot of time trying to figure out how to download programs(the unofficial guide is just not good enough for people making the transition-I ended up finding where that was in a forum because the guide left some simple steps out like how to access and edit the sourclist.)
5. Be very thorough at explaining processes example: Editing the source list (unofficial guide says open up your /etc/apt/sources.list file then...blah blah.. Where is this sources.list and how do I get to it? Found out by posting a question in the forum and I found out there are a couple of ways but the easiest way for me, and the only one I figured out, was kwrite. Sudo nano within the terminal method required me asking another question like how do I select ^exit...oh ^ means control..got it.

Most ordinary computer users transitioning from windows want to do the following:
1.Download games
2. Download familiar or similar file sharing applications like limewire
3. Anything mp3
4. Use ms office type programs like open office.
5. Installing hardware and printers, scanners etc.
6. Setting up email

Point is we need a page just for non computer geeks transitioning from windows outlying the most simple and basic tasks that everyday computer users utilize. We don't need to direct newbs to an unofficial guide containing stuff that most newbs don't care to use(it just slows them down trying to sift through info to get to the bits they need-by the way the unnofficial guide is so hidden to the newb searching for info on kubuntu)

So please someone anyone please create a very clean crisp "welcome to kubuntu former windows users" page containing the foundation of applications (as listed above) that non geeks use. Make sure it's in jock talk not geek talk and don't skip steps. I shouldn't have to sift through ubuntu's tutorial, kubuntu's tuturiol, ubuntu's guide, kubuntu's guide, users sites, multiple forums, multiple threads, endless google searches, etc just to get the most basic information. KISS and build the info on one page just for former windows users!

I know their are some angry linux users and die hard geeks out there who are saying well we don't need you guys. But I feel, and I'm sure other people agree, pretty much everything should be open source therefore we need to make it usable and accessable for the idiot(this is done through an organized help and training support plan). Is it not the point to get more people to use open source software so we can advance tech? More minds=more creative ideas.

So please make a page or two for only transitional windows users. It should be clear and concise so that even my grandma could get started. Remember most people have kids and jobs and they just don't have time to try and sift through all this scattered data. Make it professional not like some geocities project. Recruit the most talented of volunteers and make a plan, become structured, unify, brainstorm, put yourselves in others shoes, and focus on quality and support.

drizek
October 9th, 2005, 07:50 AM
ubuntuguide.org

renedox
October 9th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Hi, welcome to the world of linux, before you venture any further please read the following article :)

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Thanks for the suggestions BTW :P

Knome_fan
October 9th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Hi, I agree with you, having such a guide would be nice.

Though there is a lot of documentation and help out there (the ubuntu/kubuntu guides you mentioned, forums and of course the wiki) I agree that some of it might be overwhelming to new users and some things are simply hard to find.

The problem is of course, somone would need to write that guide in the first place, the good thing is, anybody who wants to can start to write it. (hint, hint ;) )

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to suggest that anyone making a recomendation also has to actually do something, but as you seem to be quite passionate about this subject and of course might have good insight into what exactly someone coming from windows might need, why not give it a try?

If you are interested, drop me a pm, I don't have to much time, but I sure would be willing to help. Also, take a look at the wiki, especially https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation which to quite a large degree already has the information you want and of course make sure to contact the documentation guys ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam )to ask them what they think of the idea.

Lord Illidan
October 9th, 2005, 08:27 AM
What's more, the home page in Mozilla Firefox when starting Kubuntu/Ubuntu for the first time, the home page as in the home page of the repoed Firefox should be a guide, not something completely useless as artwork.

Also, yes, Kubuntu and Ubuntu could get a bit more easy to use.
And some functions are hard. I mean, when I was on Linux for the first time and I tried to use vi, I didn't know how to save. It had no help or anything. Eventually, my uncle, who knows some Unix helped me to do it. It is not newbie friendly at all.

The ubuntu guide is too large. It should be broken down into smaller pages like in the Ubuntu Wiki.

onihr
October 9th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I guess I'm just new to the open source movement as are most people who transition from windows. Maybe I'm thinking somewhere that kumbuntu has a coporate office where people organize and get together and plan. I am going to research a little more on who was repsonsible for putting out kumbuntu. I know everyone contributes but someone had to come up with the name and some one is paying for the ubuntu.org site. From a business stand point I guess I think that with such a great product such as ubuntu and kubuntu there should be some type of leadership behind the push. And with that focused leadership they should have better support. The support does not have to be like windows I'm just asking for a quick nice set of instructions for a non geek user who does not have money to buy much of anything. I was thinking about making a site too but I was thinking that it should have been planned and have been made all ready before they pushed this distribution. Looks like I've got a lot to learn but let's not neglect proper training aids just because windows does it. Just about everything you find in linux has a similar windows program. If it has everything else why not a basic good structured tutorial from someone who invested money in this ubuntu project? I'm not asking for another windows program just a good set of transitional instructions to efficiently and effectively get me started.

oh yeah and about lindows or linspire. I'm looking for something other than windows. I like linux and I'll do my part to learn so I'm not asking kubuntu to emulate windows. I want a free o/s with great comprehensive support that is powerful and effective at accomplishing daily tasks without having to be a nuclear physicist.

I think you have to pay for it too (linspire).

Thanks to aiysiu for this link (aiysiu did take matters in his own hands)
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxguide.php

I still feel that improvements need to be made and hopefully they will

Hobbsee
October 9th, 2005, 02:36 PM
There are plenty of guides out there.

There is the ubuntuguide, and the wiki. After you read through all the parts of them you need, you should be getting a fairly good understanding of linux and how to use it. The ubuntuguide is great - it's all in one place, and you just scroll down to the bits that interest you, and ignore the bits that you dont.

There are some great internet tutorials on linux, use google to find them. Most of them have some kind of pictures too. Google for "linux beginner tutorials" or similar, and you should find some good results :)

For anything you have trouble with, the usual trick to finding your answer is searching. The ubuntuforums have a search guide, and chances are your question is answered in lots of detail. Failing that, google has lots of good resources, including a linux section (google.com/linux i think it is)

The support is there, it's just that most of the time you need to search for it.

Like going on a holiday to another country - would you really go there without basic research first?

KDE site also has lots of great documentation, which relates to a lot of kde stuff. I agree, the kubuntu site could do with a bit more documentation - took me ages to figure out what kdm and gdm were, until i tried it and found out. (they are the login screens)

As a random sidenote, you might want to check this out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58017

Takis
October 10th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Howdy! Welcome to the forums and Linux in general.

The thing about guides, walkthroughs, automated wizards and whatnot is that they're only ever going to be able to show you the job that the author/programmer thinks needs to be done. Although they can help 90% of the time, it's impossible for the writer to think of every little detail that the end-user has that makes his/her experience that little bit more complex. That's why these forums exist - you ask us a question (or two, or ten, or fifty if need be) and we'll walk you through a solution. This way it's possible to help 99% of users, over the 90% achieved by guides.

Don't get me wrong, you should always start with guides, walkthroughs, Google searches, etc, but when they fail, you can be sure there'll be people waiting on these forums.