PDA

View Full Version : Installing packages

ex-wirecutter
March 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I am completely new to ubuntu so sorry if this is a basic question ,
exactly how do you install software ?
I have downloaded the Linux version of Adobe flash player and tried to install it using the apt-get install command in terminal but just get the
" unable to find package " message.
I have looked on quite a few ubuntu " how to " sites and printed off pages of instructions but none give easy step by step instructions .
I also want to install an anti virus and firewall but have the same problem
I get the installation icon on my desktop but when I double click on them all I get is a " script " text file .
Also when you download a file , how do you know if its a .tar or .deb or .rpm file because when I click on it all I get is an " unknown type " error message.
Confused ... I'll say I am ... but willing to give it a try .

MONODA
March 24th, 2008, 11:03 AM
you install software (aka packages) by using synaptic package manager in the System-> admin menu. You dont need antivirus or firewall in linux (unless you are very paranoid) install flash by downloading this and double clicking on it and following the instructions:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-nonfree_9.0.115.0ubuntu4_i386.deb

freesitebuilder
March 24th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I found this extremely helpful when I first started using Ubuntu
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
"How to install anything in Ubuntu"

ex-wirecutter
March 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks to you both am getting the hang of it now
Bit strange at first.

MONODA
March 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
there is also a more user friendly version of synaptic in the applications menu under add/remove(it does not have the libraries [libraries are like windows dlls] and it has images for each package.) If you need any help dont be afraid to ask ;)

linuxisfree
March 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I am completely new to ubuntu

Don't worry, i think we've all gone through this. Never be afraid to ask, and as i've been told before, no such thing as a stupid question.:D

exactly how do you install software ?Either by using Synaptic Package Manager (the repositories / repos) or the Add/Remove menu (under the Applications menu).

Also when you download a file , how do you know if its a .tar or .deb or .rpm file because when I click on it all I get is an " unknown type " error message.
Confused ... I'll say I am ... but willing to give it a try .Doesn't it say the file extension, like <filename>.<file extension>? If not, then i believe that a simple right-click and Properties will show you the file type.

Oh, and 1 last thing... Welcome to the Ubuntuforums!