PDA

View Full Version : I need to learn RP

Rom2006
October 9th, 2005, 02:35 AM
I'm going on a trip to England soon, and I would like to learn how to speak with an RP accent. The last time I went to England, my accent was so bad that they thought I came from Boston with a bit of a nasal Australian accent mixed in. How do I articulate my words so I can speak with a proper English accent?

Luke Redpath
October 9th, 2005, 02:38 AM
What is an RP accent?

PatrickMay16
October 9th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Why do you need to fake another accent? Why don't you just speak using your native accent?

Rom2006
October 9th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Why do you need to fake another accent? Why don't you just speak using your native accent?
If I did that, then people would think I came from somewhere else.

Stormy Eyes
October 9th, 2005, 04:29 PM
If I did that, then people would think I came from somewhere else.

Well, you did, didn't you? Don't go about faking accents; it only makes you look like a stupid tourist.

Sirin
October 9th, 2005, 08:17 PM
What is an RP accent?
Received Pronunciation (RP) is a form of pronunciation of the English language, sometimes defined as the "educated spoken English of southeastern England". It is the accent of British English most often taught to non-native speakers, and represented in the pronunciation schemes of most British dictionaries.

PatrickMay16
October 9th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Well, you did, didn't you? Don't go about faking accents; it only makes you look like a stupid tourist.
I agree with Stormy Eyes on this.