PDA

View Full Version : /dev/urandom on 1TB external USB drive

blastus
March 24th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I am writing random data to my new 1TB external USB drive from /dev/urandom. I started the dd process yesterday morning and have been monitoring progress with "sudo pkill -USR1 ^dd$" At about 3.2MB per second, it will take about 4 days to fill the drive.

Why is /dev/urandom so extremely slow and CPU intensive (usage is always near 100%)? Is there a faster alternative to /dev/urandom? I wanted to use DBAN (which is several times faster than /dev/urandom) but it does not recognize external USB drives.

hhhhhx
March 24th, 2008, 05:08 AM
wow, i didnet know they made 1TB usb drives

and also, sweet!

Ocxic
March 24th, 2008, 05:11 AM
it takes so long because it not only has to calculate a random piece of data for every bit on your drive, but it is also writing to EVERY single bit on the drive, takes about 4-5 hours to do my 500GB drive with just /dev/zero

happysmileman
March 24th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Possibly because it has to generate 3.2MB of (pseudo-)random data every second, which would be over 800,000 calls to rand() (or whatever makes the numbers) each second.

init1
March 24th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Would /dev/zero work? Its not random, but it may be faster.

blastus
March 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM
wow, i didnet know they made 1TB usb drives

and also, sweet!

I think there are 3TB USB drives now :)

it takes so long because it not only has to calculate a random piece of data for every bit on your drive, but it is also writing to EVERY single bit on the drive, takes about 4-5 hours to do my 500GB drive with just /dev/zero

But the PRNG in DBAN is way faster, like 10 times faster than /dev/urandom on my machine. With DBAN and an internal hard drive, the write speeds are like 30-40MB/s.

Possibly because it has to generate 3.2MB of (pseudo-)random data every second, which would be over 800,000 calls to rand() (or whatever makes the numbers) each second.

I wonder if there is a physical device that can generate secure random numbers? The crypto-chip in new model computers can generate pure random numbers. As hard drive sizes increase, I can see /dev/urandom becoming unfeasible for this sort of thing.

Would /dev/zero work? Its not random, but it may be faster.

Not for my purpose. I want to fill the device with random data before creating a dm-crypt (encrypted) partition on it. No data has ever been written to the device.

happysmileman
March 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I wonder if there is a physical device that can generate secure random numbers? The crypto-chip in new model computers can generate pure random numbers. As hard drive sizes increase, I can see /dev/urandom becoming unfeasible for this sort of thing.

I think I've seen USB devices that generate random numbers, not exactly sure how they work, I think it's to do with static electricity or something, I've also seen software that claims to make pure random numbers using your sound card but I could never get them to work.

blastus
March 24th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I think I've seen USB devices that generate random numbers, not exactly sure how they work, I think it's to do with static electricity or something, I've also seen software that claims to make pure random numbers using your sound card but I could never get them to work.

I don't know how they would work either but I think they'd have to tie into something that isn't exactly predictable like; thermo-temperature, vibration, atmospheric pressure, humidity etc... if I could find one I think I'd be the only person on the block with it :lolflag:

Polygon
March 24th, 2008, 06:22 AM
i bet part of the long delay is that your writing to a usb drive which is much much slower then writing to a hard drive thats connected with SATA or IDE

jpkotta
March 24th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I know some processors (not necessarily desktop ones) use ring oscillators.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_oscillator

You may want to check out the shred command.

Xzallion
March 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM

I don't think theres a way for a computer to get a "true" random number. Based on the wikipedia article on Random Number Generators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generator) this is only hinted at using a physical input such as sound, temperature or time as a seed and hoping its random. Unfortunately these tend to develop their own bias.

mridkash
March 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm curious.
Can you please tell how filling up hd with random numbers help in securing the system, and why not just zeroes.

Thanks a lot.

Polygon
March 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
since he is going to be encrypting his hard drive, he wants to first fill the drive up with random data before he starts writing encrypted data to the disk so its harder if not impossible to tell which is random data and what is encrypted data

what is more secure:

00000000Jk326%$^jnbpj3r2JKL000000000000

or
Hj234r ef2prjrj23r^&*4500KGVBjwn238*/3(234

blastus
March 24th, 2008, 09:01 PM
An attacker won't sample zero'd data because he knows right away that it isn't real data. However, if the drive is filled with random data before the encrypted data was written, and the sample data taken from the drive just happens to be the random data, it can't be decrypted and therefore the attacker will have wasted a bunch of time. By filling the drive with random data, an attacker will not be able to distinguish the random data from the encrypted data.

This seems to imply that the less encrypted data you have on a drive that was previously filled with random data, the better because it increases the likelihood that sample data taken from the drive is really just random data. Filling a drive with random data won't increase the strength of your pass phrase or encryption algorithm.

cprofitt
March 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Yep 0's and 1's are good for removing data, but not so good when encrypting or hiding data.

Washer
March 24th, 2008, 11:29 PM
why not just make a huge truecrypt container? Or lots of them, which is what I do to help me arrange files.

school
linux
firefox
pr0n video
pr0n pix
music
etc

Washer
March 24th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I wanted to use DBAN (which is several times faster than /dev/urandom) but it does not recognize external USB drives.
what?

init1
March 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Use /dev/dsp and then play some music

krolaw
April 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Check out frandom - 50x faster than urandom, although I'm only getting 5x on my TB drive.

grikdog
March 15th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I am writing random data to my new 1TB external USB drive from /dev/urandom. I started the dd process yesterday morning and have been monitoring progress with "sudo pkill -USR1 ^dd$" At about 3.2MB per second, it will take about 4 days to fill the drive.

Why is /dev/urandom so extremely slow and CPU intensive (usage is always near 100%)? Is there a faster alternative to /dev/urandom? I wanted to use DBAN (which is several times faster than /dev/urandom) but it does not recognize external USB drives.

Dunno why it's slow, but why not just use /dev/urandom to fill a MB or so, then use that file to stamp a copy of the MB image all over the USB drive? Sure, it's not "random" anymore, but nobody can read the USB drive either (not in your lifetime).

Or, why not just blast the output from Mersenne Twister continuously over the 1T drive? If you use /dev/urandom to fill the internal table (instead of seeding the MT), the result should be "good enuff." MT is very fast. You could also XOR the MT output with an additive congruential generator's output for almost no additional overhead. The result is functionally equivalent to spinning a coin for each bit independently. If you have access to Macintosh OS X, use their /dev/urandom to generate your keyfile (destroy after use), because it uses Bruce Schneier's yarrow algorithm, and I'm not sure what Debian cobbled together. I was trying to find an answer to THAT question when I noticed your question.

And, of course, your photo caught my eye. Your average male geek is 90 times more likely to puff up, spread tail feathers and provide help to alleged damsels in distress. Thanks for the fantasy ;-)