PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Open Music?

Zeotronic
March 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
I am working on a game, which will be open source... but much to my dismay I do not have someone to do audio... in any respect. I have a cousen who is learning to do music... but it will be at least a year before his talent is anything that I can work with. Now to stop boring you, and get on with my point: Does anyone know of any good... erm... Open Music(?) archives? I need sound effects too, but I have to admit I am mostly worried about the music.

I have to admit that I'm not sure that this is the best forum for this... but I wasn't quite sure about the others, so I figured when in doubt...

Mazza558
March 23rd, 2008, 10:39 PM
Head over to CCmixter :)

Jareth
March 23rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Tell more about the game, is it goin to be all futuristic, 80's style?

kevin11951
March 24th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Look up jamendo in google. HUGE amount of gpl compliant songs from various artists!

Zeotronic
March 26th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Tell more about the game, is it goin to be all futuristic, 80's style?
What a strange thing to ask... (mean, the futuristic 80s style part)

I'm making a scrolling shooter... I'm going for a more experimental style... art wise. As for music... I think I'd probably be best off with something with a faster beat and no lyrics.

Jareth
March 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
So not Vangelis like? :guitar:

Zeotronic
March 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
So not Vangelis like?
I'm not familure with Vangelis.

L473ncy
March 26th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I think you can head over to soundclick.com and dmisic.com for free music.

As for using it in a commercial application I think it's really more of a gray area there I think you have to "purchase" the song on soundclick for something like $100/song (for some artists, others might not care and just want to get their name out).

smartboyathome
March 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I would also recommend Jamendo. They have some excellent music there.

Zeotronic
March 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I think you can head over to soundclick.com and dmisic.com for free music.

As for using it in a commercial application I think it's really more of a gray area there I think you have to "purchase" the song on soundclick for something like $100/song (for some artists, others might not care and just want to get their name out).
I would rather not use anything that even has a hint of proprietary... and though my game will not be commercial, I don't want to mess with that regardless.

Superkoop
March 26th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Aside from Jamendo (http://www.jamendo.com/en/) as was already mentioned. There is also this site I stumbled on a while ago. http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php

jken146
March 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM
A lot of the music on Jamendo is not totally free. Read the licences. If you find something you like, it's easy enough to get in touch with the artist and ask for permission to use it.

Zeotronic
March 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
A lot of the music on Jamendo is not totally free. Read the licences. If you find something you like, it's easy enough to get in touch with the artist and ask for permission to use it.
I would never use any music unless I could get in touch with the artist.