PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu and My Girlfriend

b3n87
March 23rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Im a hard core Ubuntu fan, and she got annoyed in the end and hated it.

But this weekend I put the Ubuntu Hardy Beta LiveCD in your computer and I must say, with the monitor she has, it looks stunning, so clear and crisp. ANyway because Windows and completely ground to a halt, and the internet doesnt work at all, (yet if I ping www.google.co.uk from the command like it shows it active), and my god is it slow.

So shes agreed to use Ubuntu, and because her iPod works with rythmbox shes all up for it. She goes to me, "as long as its easy to use". Bless her.

Eisenwinter
March 23rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I really don't understand why people are all like "omg, I'm so lucky, my girlfriend/friend agreed to use linux over Windows".

I think the Linux community should stop trying to "convert" people from Windows to Linux distributions.

Trust me, if they're interested in it, they'll ask about it, and you can help them install Linux.

It's alright to complain about Windows, I understand that, but man, I've seen enough people say "oh, stop using Windows, move to Linux, get rid of all your problems" etc, and I've done it myself.

If you say that, you're hypocritical, and are going against the linux code, which is free choice of use.

gfg
March 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
I really don't understand why people are all like "omg, I'm so lucky, my girlfriend/friend agreed to use linux over Windows".

I think the Linux community should stop trying to "convert" people from Windows to Linux distributions.

Trust me, if they're interested in it, they'll ask about it, and you can help them install Linux.

It's alright to complain about Windows, I understand that, but man, I've seen enough people say "oh, stop using Windows, move to Linux, get rid of all your problems" etc, and I've done it myself.

If you say that, you're hypocritical, and are going against the linux code, which is free choice of use.

I agree about converting, but how will people get interested in it and ask if you don't say anything about it? You should offcourse be allowed to recommend Linux to people and let them try out and see if they like it. There is no free choice of use if they don't know that there are viable options to Windows, and people should be informed about it, and get a chance to try it out themselves, so that they can get the chance to chose.

mech7
March 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hehe well some see OSS as a religion and they will preach to others about it :p try to convert them to followers :p

Eisenwinter
March 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
well yes, of course you can tell them about it.

But this whole general linux-user attitude of "oh now, he's using windows, he's an idiot", should be stopped immediately.

gfg
March 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
well yes, of course you can tell them about it.

But this whole general linux-user attitude of "oh now, he's using windows, he's an idiot", should be stopped immediately.

Yes but that is not what this post is about. He introduced Ubuntu to his girlfriend who seemed to have a problematic Windows install. It worked fine, and she is content with it. I don't see how that is horribly wrong. I completely agree that "Windows=idiot" attitude should stop. Windows works best for some people and they should be allowed to use it as much as they want.

FranMichaels
March 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Yes but that is not what this post is about. He introduced Ubuntu to his girlfriend who seemed to have a problematic Windows install. It worked fine, and she is content with it. I don't see how that is horribly wrong. I completely agree that "Windows=idiot" attitude should stop. Windows works best for some people and they should be allowed to use it as much as they want.

Agreed. Besides, many of us Linux users used Windows before.

If someone is going to ask me for help with their computer, if it has Windows on it, I say no. I'm guessing the impetus for the switch may have been something like that.
As for the "Linux code", it's about the software and the code. I don't think it has anything to do with Windows.

If the user still wants Windows, let them have it. I wouldn't install it for them though. :) In many cases that is where I've suggested Linux, when I think it can meet that user's need.

mrsudo
March 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
nearly none of my friends have even heard of linux

if i didnt show and explain it to them, they would have no idea it existed.
just show them the way, and if they like it they will follow

diablo75
March 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
My girlfriend doesn't even dare claim to know jack about computers, which is why she had no problem learning Ubuntu :P

SpenceMakesSense
March 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Well I personally find this article really cool. But I wish I had had the same experience when I first popped in that ubuntu live cd. I installed it and my internet wouldnt work(windows wifi receiver) then followed by needing to install all my drivers without internet. BUT, I then discovered ndiswrapper which then brought me to my final point

Ubuntu without internet is hell.

But this whole windows to linux is really out of hand. I used windows all the time and got to really know it and fix problems that stuff like that. And when I went to Linux I felt like a first grader trying to use a computer I was completely lost. But in the end I got the hang of it. But that may be another reason why they don't switch. Because they just know windows better that linux.

Jareth
March 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
I'm sure there must be stages for people who convert from windows to linux. Like, I'm past the stage of viciously trying to convert people now, but I do make a point of letting people know thats what I use, if it comes up.
Peoples own curiosity usually takes over if it isn't forced on them. I had 2 people try to convert to ubuntu under my direction but the live disc didn't work on either of their laptops and they lost interest. doh!

toupeiro
March 24th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Interesting direction this thread took :)

I've had my fingers in linux since about 97-98. Personally, I am very excited about linux development over the last three years. Its been a wild ride with tremendous productive developments and advancements. However, some people .. flat out just don't care, about the progress of linux versus the degradation of the Windows OS and thats absolutely fine. Here is where I draw my line though.

As an IT person, I like everyone else involved with IT, gets approached about "how slow someones computer is". or how someone got a virus or spyware, or how internet explorer keeps crashing with its 50 or so third party toolbars that were installed either unknowingly to the user, or with the user uncomprehendingly agreeing to its installation. I also get the comments of how much they hate their new laptop loaded with vista, and how none of their applications work right, and how tired they are of having all these problems and that they just want a computer they can use without all these tedious problems.

Now, here's the reality. Most IT people work at LEAST 40 hours a week primarily with linux and windows OSes. my off-work time is very important to me. I make time for the forums where I have it to give, but If any of it is going to be spent on IT troubleshooting soneone elses errors and I'm off the clock, then it will be on my own conditions to help if I can. So, to those people at this level of frustration, I offer them ubuntu, on CD, and even offer to install it, help configure it, and give them some hand-off training on how to get around in it. The people that answer no to trying it, I have no sympathy or tolerance for, because if they are TRULY at that point of contempt with their systems, they should be well beyond the point of considering alternatives to make their lives easier on them in that regard.

The idea is not to convert anyone. The idea is to put the decision into their hands, but in my case I take it a step further. If someone is taking the effort to fix their own problems in windows, I do not turn them away, I just won't "do it" for you. I will help you, IF you truly want to help yourself out of these problems, but if its not worth it to you to change, its not worth it to me to help. I am not a friendily computer janitor that will clean up other peoples messes time and time again, and there are some things inherant with windows that are counter-productive to effectively trying to show someone a safe or better way of doing things. I cannot sympathize anymore with people who complain about how frustrated they are with windows, and are given an alternative with the PROMISE of help, and do nothing.

This is why I truly enjoy linux and forums like these. For the most part, these are people who made the decision for themselves that Windows will not do what they need it to do for them, and are learning how to make linux be that choice that works for them. I will do whatever I can to encourage that kind of thinking, not because its directly related to reducing windows OS presence, or because I have hatred for Microsoft, but because its what people SHOULD DO if they are in a situation they are not happy in, regardless of what it happens to be.

I don't want to convert anyone. They can convert themselves, or be complacent. I love running linux, and have no plans in the foreseeable future of ever using windows again. Thats good enough for me.

kidux
March 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM
After the ME debacle, my wife refused to use Windows at home ever again, and so, 8 years later we're still using Linux, LOL.

Also a friend at work, who has no clue about computers, asked for help in fixing his computer at home in which he installed a new HDD after the old one took a dump. Windows would not boot off it at all, so I gave him a Live CD of Kubuntu 7.10 and he's happy as a clam. It installed and ran with no problems at all.