PDA

View Full Version : Next shipment of cd's?

eldrich_rebello
December 6th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Hi all
when is the next shipment of cd's expected to be sent out?I can't wait for the cd's to arrive here.I ordered in late october.Anyone got in touch with the shipping people?

Fish

Hikaru79
December 11th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Same here... ordered in October, it's mid-december now and still no news :( Other people recieved theirs ages ago. Were some shipments lost? Is there some way to check?

ubuntu_demon
December 11th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Strange poll. Did you mean : "are you satisfied with the cd distriibution of cannonical?" or "are you satisfied with Ubuntu as your main OS?" ?

I would answer yes anyway. The cd's are free so I don't complain about them. Ubuntu rocks already. And I'm satisfied with its progress.

eldrich_rebello
December 11th, 2004, 08:52 AM
ubuntu must be nice but i can't try it out till I get a cd.working one ! still waiting
i doubt any cd's will arrive soon cause the ubuntu pepl are in spain rite?

eBopBob
December 11th, 2004, 10:27 AM
According to DistroWatch, Ubuntu & team are on The Isle of Man.

eldrich_rebello
December 11th, 2004, 12:15 PM
no.right now they are in spain attending the ubuntu conference.

eBopBob
December 11th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Oh, yes, sorry, I thought you meant actually where they are based in general.

Out of curiosity, are they based normally on the Isle of Man, or not?

daniels
December 11th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Right now, all Canonical employees (modulo two, who have left early for a holiday and university exams, respectively) and a large number of Ubuntu community members are all in Mataró at the Ubuntu conference. This is not in any way holding up the shipment of CDs, however -- I believe the second CD run has already been taken care of and is in the process of being sent. We batch up our orders and handle them through a CD distribution company, but unfortunately it's hardly a trivial process (I believe the current figure is half a million CDs); we have to get all the addresses verified, co-ordinate how they will be sent out, and then wait for the CDs to actually be mastered and sent. All of this takes a fair amount of time, so we're moving as fast as we can.

As for where we're based, Canonical the company is based in the Isle of Man, but we all work from home, whereever we happen to be in the world (barring conferences and short sprints, obviously).

Alessio
December 11th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Great!!! All the cd's are arrived! Thanks UBUNTU =D>

eldrich_rebello
December 11th, 2004, 07:44 PM
yaaaaaaaaay!! so i'll actually be getting an ubuntu cd that i can use to get people hooked to linux.i'm worried though that the sight of the installer will scare newbies away.heck i'm gonna go buy a pc magazine from the railway station and install debian sarge.seeif i can get through that.heheheh..without messing up my data and *******...

Merry christmas
Fish

gabbman
December 11th, 2004, 07:51 PM
I'm hoping they keep it up for hoary and so on with each stable release.

BWF89
December 11th, 2004, 08:53 PM
I ordered 10 CD's about 3 times over the timespan of about 15 days...

Why is it taking them so long to get the CD's ordered? Even useing the cheapest shipping it should only take 2 weeks...

daniels
December 11th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Because printing and shipping each order as it comes is horribly inefficient, so we do it in large batches. With over half a million CDs, work out the cost if you burn and instantly ship each one on demand ...

eldrich_rebello
December 12th, 2004, 05:38 AM
so that's half a million new users of ubuntu! :-)
well we'll all have to keep waiting for them cd's to arrive..hopefully they'll be here un time for christmas.cd's ship every 2 weeks right?so the next shipment should be on the 24th?how many users have you shipped to up to now?
when can a user whose usernumber is about 22000 expect to get his cd's|?
bout user 39000?

eldrich_rebello
December 12th, 2004, 05:42 AM
And the poll question actually means "are you satisfied with ubuntu as a desktop os?"