PDA

View Full Version : Qalculate for Windows

Glaxed
March 23rd, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hello,
This is pretty a much a request for a Windows port of Qalculate, but there's a little more to the post, if you want to keep reading.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable working on Windows, but situations arise when I have to use my laptop and subsequently, XP (Linux battery management is lacking...)
I don't need 'alternative' software, I need the real stuff.
The real Linux stuff on Windows (normally the posts are the other way, no?).
Amarok and Qalculate beat the living **** out of iTunes and Windows Power Calulator.
I mean, the majority of the bare-bones default GNOME software kicks *** compared to the crap that comes on Windows.
No good burning software, no good media player/organizer, no decent console...
If I had SmartMusic for Linux, superior battery management, and a little more time...

Can anyone tell me if they have seen or know how to compile Qalculate on Windows XP SP2 with GCC 3.4 (or so)?
I know the Amarok beta runs mildly well on Windows, so I think Qalculate should be within reach.
I already have GTK/GTK+ for Windows...

If anyone knows Qalculate developer contact info, can you post or PM me it?
I'm on my laptop for a while..

Glaxed
March 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
bump?

cardinals_fan
March 23rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
There's a project called andLinux (http://www.andlinux.org/) that let's Linux apps run natively in Windows. I don't know if it works.

Glaxed
April 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Thank you so much! andLinux is amazing.
XFCE version takes up less than 1 gb of space and if you run it as an NT service, there is no impact on computer performance!! (i have 1 gb ram, though).
I got qalculate and amarok, not to mention the latest gimp, glade, wxglade, geany, wireshark, and bash on XP!
It can cut and paste between XP and 'linux' as well, nothing glitches on the beta rc at all.

I am definately going to donate to this project.
Here is a XFCE-minimal beta torrent;
andLinux-XFCE-beta1rc6-minimal.exe torrent (http://linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=21ee284ebae5c5f52edaff32deecf8548a 3a6108&f=andlinux-beta1rc6-minimal.exe.torrent)
Help seed with me :).

DoctorMO
April 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
It's an interesting question, but should programmers who know the moral problems of Microsoft support Windows in any way?

It would be sending a sign that I considered their actions somehow ok. which I don't. They're wrong and should be shuned because of the wrong they do.

Other people will have very different points of view however.

Glaxed
April 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM
DoctorMO;
I find it hard to believe that Microsoft's customers trust and support them.
The majority of the people I know including me, however, are slaves to developers who write programs only for their platforms. They, in turn are slaves to Microsoft, who just got a lucky start on the market.

We all know about the market share percentage, what is it, 96% for Microsoft?
Microsoft may not be nice, or even good (heck they even want to extort poor African goverments but thats a different story), but they are still here.

If you are forced to use at least 1 Microsoft OS, like me, you would find immense refuge with andLinux. Just because andLinux wants to help people doesn't mean that they, or andLinux users agree with Microsofts actions.

No slave willingly consents to slavery, to put it more dramatically.

edit> [Off-Topic]: I like the Dohickey Project a lot. Is there any way you could use the hwinfo database to simplify your life? You've got a large project going on!

DoctorMO
April 21st, 2008, 12:54 AM
No slave willingly consents to slavery, to put it more dramatically.

All slaves give their consent, that is the idea of slavery.

Better to starve free than be a fat slave.- Aesop

I like the Dohickey Project a lot. Is there any way you could use the hwinfo database to simplify your life? You've got a large project going on!

It's large but it's not that large. The hwinfo project (I know the developer) is attempting to develop detection code which is very useful. But it's scope is different.

Endolith
June 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Qalculate is great, but I'd like a Windows port, too. AndLinux doesn't work under 64-bit Windows. :/

Another possibility is running a virtual machine and running Qalculate using Xming or NX to put it in a window of its own.

Even better: http://winswitch.org/index.html

http://i.imgur.com/i8ORO.png