markp1989
March 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
i have got my hand on a spare pc.

specs :

processor : 1ghz AMD Athlon(tm) processor
RAM: 1gb
Hard Disk: 160gb
Graphics card: some ****** ati wiv 32mb memory

so far i have installed ubuntu server, torrentflux and Folding@home, mainly used as a torrent slave.

any one know any other uses for it, i was thing of a back up server of some kind? dont know how i would do this.

any other uses that could be added?

Depressed Man
March 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Back of server with rsync. You could use Time Vault (like Apple's Time Machine). I believe it's just a nice GUI front end to rsync though.

If you had slimboxes or other network capable speakers you could use it as a music box. Or turn it into a media center (hook up a TV to it).

markp1989
March 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Back of server with rsync. You could use Time Vault (like Apple's Time Machine). I believe it's just a nice GUI front end to rsync though.

If you had slimboxes or other network capable speakers you could use it as a music box. Or turn it into a media center (hook up a TV to it).

the computer is under my tv, which has pc input , i used the TV as a monitor whilst i was setting it up.

setting up a media box would be good, how would i do that on top of ubuntu server?

Would also like to set it up as a print server, but my printer isnt supported by ubuntu, any one know any cheap printers with good support?

gn2
March 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
I use a similar spec machine as a music jukebox with a USB soundcard connected to a hi-fi amp and speakers.

L473ncy
March 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Folding at home? run it 24/7, it should be able to complete some basic WU's.

Donate it to a local charity/community centre (and see if you can get a charitable donation receipt).

Give it to a family member (niece/nephew/parents w/e) or friends children.

Media server.

"Torrent box" (for legal torrents of course)

That's only a few ideas I'm sure you can think of more.

Bruce M.
March 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM

specs :

I look at the spec's of your spare machine.
I look at the spec's of my only machine (80G + 40G HD) and I have to think:

Send it to me, I'll use it and send you mine. :)

{sigh}
Bruce

markp1989
March 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I look at the spec's of your spare machine.
I look at the spec's of my only machine (80G + 40G HD) and I have to think:

{sigh}
Bruce

was made from 2 computers that i was given, 1 that the cpu was burned out on, and 1 that i got given when a friend upgraded, and i got given the hard disk

Bruce M.
March 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
was made from 2 computers that i was given, 1 that the cpu was burned out on, and 1 that i got given when a friend upgraded, and i got given the hard disk

WoW! I need friends like that. :)
Good luck with your quest.

Bruce

Bruce M.
March 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
the computer is under my tv, which has pc input , i used the TV as a monitor whilst i was setting it up.

setting up a media box would be good, how would i do that on top of ubuntu server?

Would also like to set it up as a print server, but my printer isnt supported by ubuntu, any one know any cheap printers with good support?

My Epson Stylus CX4100 (all in one) isn't expensive and worked out of the box.

Lord DarkPat
March 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
You could set up a DAAP server on this spare and dump all your music on to it, and set up SAMBA or DAAP on it. Oh, and use Elisa Media center, work done!:popcorn:

NightwishFan
March 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
I wish I had a spare like that. :)
If you cant find a use for it send it my way. ^^

Bruce M.
March 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
I wish I had a spare like that. :)
If you cant find a use for it send it my way. ^^

Sorry, I got first dibs, and offered mine in exchange too :)

NightwishFan
March 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
=D yup, but now we are going to have to duel for it. DEATH TO CONVENTIONAL THINKING!!!

(prolly wont be funny unless you watched that pc vs mac vid on youtube)

markp1989
March 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
You could set up a DAAP server on this spare and dump all your music on to it, and set up SAMBA or DAAP on it. Oh, and use Elisa Media center, work done!:popcorn:

i like the idea of setting up a DAAP server, any one with any experience ?

Bruce M.
March 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
=D yup, but now we are going to have to duel for it. DEATH TO CONVENTIONAL THINKING!!!

OK, I get first pick for team mates:
I pick: Chuck Norris, Alien, Predator, Terminator, Lara Croft, Charlie's Angels and last but not least Mickey Mouse :lolflag:

(prolly wont be funny unless you watched that pc vs mac vid on youtube)

Didn't see that. Link please!

NightwishFan
March 23rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Indeed. :popcorn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHO8l-Bd1O4
You will love the finder.

I prefer to fight my battles solo but Lateef Crowder offered his help who am I to refuse. :)

K.Mandla
March 23rd, 2008, 12:40 AM
I apologize aforehand for linking to my own blog.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/03/16/ten-things-you-can-do-keep-an-old-computer-useful/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/09/14/things-to-do-with-an-old-computer/

markp1989
March 23rd, 2008, 12:59 AM

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/03/16/ten-things-you-can-do-keep-an-old-computer-useful/

i have read both of those before...think i found them on google somwere, very usefull information thanks:D

markp1989
March 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM

Set up DAAP, works well, currently only tested streaming to rhythmbox, thanks!

cprofitt
March 23rd, 2008, 03:10 AM
Use it to make a honeypot.

jflaker
March 23rd, 2008, 03:22 AM

specs :

so far i have installed ubuntu server, torrentflux and Folding@home, mainly used as a torrent slave.

any one know any other uses for it, i was thing of a back up server of some kind? dont know how i would do this.

The other suggestions are great.....while the machine is not being used, it can host some basic web pages. Go get yourself a xxxx.homedns.org account for free and use it as a blogger or other basic non intensive site........one throw down, don't get too popular or your ISP will shut you out......

mrsudo
March 23rd, 2008, 03:44 AM
definately use it as a media server if its under your tv
stream all your videos

jacob01
March 23rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
start a server buisness and host web pages for people :lolflag:

Make a little money from it, but your isp might shut you down if you get alot of traffic.

zmjjmz
March 23rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Maybe use it to test Icebuntu?
>.>
<.<
*runs*

hhhhhx
March 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
get a junky projector, and you have your own home theater, thats what i did, sept my com has half the ram and twice the GHz :)

tylerspaska
March 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
http://lifehacker.com/362062/

Or, upgrade the graphics card, add a tv tuner, and install linuxMCE (http://www.linuxmce.org/)

markp1989
March 23rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Maybe use it to test Icebuntu?
>.>
<.<
*runs*

i have a 20gb hard disk , so when i need to test icebuntu, i take out the 160gb hard disk, and put in the 20gb, and i take out some of the ram leaving it at 256mb, makes sence to take it out,when testing somthing that is intended to be light weight

Bruce M.
March 23rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Indeed. :popcorn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHO8l-Bd1O4
You will love the finder.

I prefer to fight my battles solo but Lateef Crowder offered his help who am I to refuse. :)

OK, you win, recall the Finder. :)

Bruce M.
March 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM

Got those Bookmakred under: Keepers
Thanks for these.
Bruce

markp1989
March 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM
The other suggestions are great.....while the machine is not being used, it can host some basic web pages. Go get yourself a xxxx.homedns.org account for free and use it as a blogger or other basic non intensive site........one throw down, don't get too popular or your ISP will shut you out......

i got a account an no-ip, but when i go to the url they give me i get sent to my router configuration page

edit: sorted it out, set up port forwarding , wouldnt work form here , so i tried connecting from friends pc and worked fine

L473ncy
March 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
DONT try to make it a game server because no one will join it because of high ping and lots of choke, PLUS it will have tons of lag spikes due to it being an "unstable connection".

fedex1993
March 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
you could make it a teewars server its a game but anyone run it and it works fine on peoples computer

markp1989
March 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
i dont want to set up a game server,i only have a 1mb connection

Warpnow
March 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM
An emulator pc hooked up to your TV.

Run Mame, NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari, ect Roms.

Compucore
March 24th, 2008, 04:21 AM
What you can do with a computer that is acting as a server you could host your own web site. And remote into it to transfer your web pages over to it. And have a select few of people that you know know the link to the box itself for your personlized web site. I still have a Pentium 2 233 doing that can handle that over here. And maybe make some little odd and ends with a few others left overs pcs still hanging around have them dedicated to specific things like ftp server for files. one for web pages. Where speed is not a major factor for family and for serving up web pages. Its not like your holding it for several hundred thousand of people that you want to see it.

Compucore

Sceiron
March 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Donate it to a good cause or give it to a poor kid in your neighbourhood.

insane_alien
March 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM
could turn it into a NAS device as well. that way you can back every other computer up onto it.