PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu advocacy idea

drascus
March 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Ok So I have been thinking about what We can do to get Ubuntu out there more in the popular culture. I realized that if you write into shows with topics that they are more then willing to talk about them. Like there was a a report about Ubuntu on Cnet this morning. So I was thinking maybe we could do a letter writting campain to different shows asking them to talk about certain things having to do with ubuntu. If we generate enough noise they are shore to mention it. What do you all think about this idea???

pieisgood4589
March 22nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hmmmm... I think the main thing that's driving the major computer force in the US (teenagers) is the lack of MMORPG games for Linux, I've spoken to many kids my age (early-teens) and their afraid that they'll lose all their games if they switch... :(

madjr
March 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hmmmm... I think the main thing that's driving the major computer force in the US (teenagers) is the lack of MMORPG games for Linux, I've spoken to many kids my age (early-teens) and their afraid that they'll lose all their games if they switch... :(

which games in particular ?

i know the biggest and best MMORPGS work with Wine (WoW, guildwars, everquest 2, silkroad, etc.) and some are even native in linux: Dofus, eve online, runescape, etc.

http://appdb.winehq.org/

some crappy corean ones don't work... so?

Linux already supports over 80% of the MMORPG population, so switching to linux is do-able.

with Wine-doors and playonlinux wine software installers, installing these stuff is incredibly easy.

so i think that MISINFORMATION is what prevents them to switching... not lack of online games.

Anyway, with just dual-booting they can learn and contribute, so go ahead and install Ubuntu on there machines :)

badmedic
March 22nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
That is assuming people don't mind making it work. The average Linux user enjoys this part of the process, at least to some extent. But there are a lot of people out there that just want to have it work, instead of having to make it work.

To draw a very loose analogy: Sure, you can have the best coffee drinks possible if you make them yourself! So then... why is Starbucks so popular?