PDA

View Full Version : Linux PS3 XBox MCE Confusion

moeFinley
March 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
I have an old Shuttle PC with Ubuntu, a DVB USB and Kaffeine plugged into my TV through S-Video. It's cool but I want to start toward HD now it's all Blueray and something quieter and neater would be nice.

So I thought I'd get a PS3 and install Ubuntu on it and I'd be sorted. But a quick look around and there seems to be a distinct lack of interest in PS3 media centers. Why is this?

I thought by now there would be a PS3 MCE distro with full support for the graphics chip but instead there are a few people who have sorta got something to work but not very well. What gives?! Should I get a PS3? How else do I get a compact Blueray solution for £300?

:(

Acglaphotis
March 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
You can run Xbox MCE in linux. But i don't think you'll be able to use that DVB with the PS3. Blu-ray isn't that great. It's slow and has lots of DRM. You could maybe install mythbuntu into it?

moeFinley
March 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
I'm happy with Kaffeine but XBox MCE does look cool. MythTV has problems because there are no graphics drivers for the PS3 so the video runs slowly. There is a fix but it's nowhere near perfect yet.

Blueray is the future now. I prefer a nice Xvid file to a DVD but DVDs are so popular you always find you'll have a need to play them. Blueray will be the same soon.

Acglaphotis
March 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Xvid > everything ; ). I just download my movies so i have a different point of view in this matter.

Anyway, i found a really good alternative to Xbox MCE. Its called Freevo (http://freevo.sourceforge.net) and supports the PS3. Here is the FAQ. (http://doc.freevo.org/FAQ)

madjr
March 22nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
I thought by now there would be a PS3 MCE distro with full support for the graphics chip but instead there are a few people who have sorta got something to work but not very well. What gives?! Should I get a PS3? How else do I get a compact Blueray solution for £300?

:(

sony doesn't want to give out the video specs for 3d acceleration... so don't blame the linux people.

for example: on the iphone adobe and sun can't get java and flash working on it even with the "official" SDK.... so you going to blame sun and adobe for that or APPLe ?

luca.b
March 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
sony doesn't want to give out the video specs for 3d acceleration... so don't blame the linux people.

Let's get the things straight. It's not Sony, it's NVIDIA.