PDA

View Full Version : geany/g++ problem

DAC1138
March 22nd, 2008, 07:03 AM
I can't get this app compiled in Geany. It's just a simple app, and I can't figure out why Geany won't let it compile.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()

{

int value;

1024 = value;

cout << "This program prints the value: " << value;

return 0;

}

The g++ error it reports is:
int.cpp:11: error: invalid lvalue in assignment

What gives? I have had this compile in Eclipse and kdevelop and in DevC++ in linux. This is just a sample test app I compile to get used to the IDE s I've been testing.

LaRoza
March 22nd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Look at the code again, there is no way that that compiled.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{

int value;
/* The following line should be a dead give away... */
1024 = value;
return 0;
}

TreeFinger
March 22nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
The first step is to head to the line number the compiler is telling you is causing the error.

Sinkingships7
March 22nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
HINT: in c++, you pass the value from the right of the statement to the variable on the left of the statement.

hyperair
March 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Like Sinkingships7 said.
1024 isn't an lvalue (value that can be put on the left). You can't assign "value" onto "1024". But you can do it the other way (which your probably want to).

DAC1138
March 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Hmm. I got it. Thanks for the help. I was under the impression that you can pass values that way to integers.

The file that I compiled with other compilers was the same thing, the only difference being this was a modified version (duh!) that I was messing around with in Geany when I first installed it a few weeks ago. So this was all just a misunderstanding on my part, but thanks for clarifying.

Nemooo
March 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
I made a similar mistake the other day. Took me a while to figure out the mistake :)

DAC1138
March 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM
So while this thread is open, can someone explain why C++ won't allow an expression like "100 = value" to work? I've been reading up on lvalues (thanks for that reference, none of my C++ books talked about lvalues yet and I'm halfway through) But I still can't grasp why the C++ compiler won't automatically see the lvalue and switch it around.

I know it's so much easier just to avoid asking and just learn to do it the right way, but I always learn best when I understand why things have to be done a certain way.

WW
March 23rd, 2008, 03:49 AM
So while this thread is open, can someone explain why C++ won't allow an expression like "100 = value" to work? [...] But I still can't grasp why the C++ compiler won't automatically see the lvalue and switch it around.

If the destination of the assignment wasn't always on the left, how would the compiler know what do to with a statement like this:

x = y;

(where x and y are both variables)?

slavik
March 23rd, 2008, 04:19 AM
If the destination of the assignment wasn't always on the left, how would the compiler know what do to with a statement like this:

(where x and y are both variables)?
that and it is also the same way we do it in mathematics.

hyperair
March 23rd, 2008, 04:56 AM
I always accepted it as the way programming is done. Are there any languages that don't use the concept of lvalues and automatically switch them over? I don't think there are any.

LaRoza
March 23rd, 2008, 05:55 AM
So while this thread is open, can someone explain why C++ won't allow an expression like "100 = value" to work? I've been reading up on lvalues (thanks for that reference, none of my C++ books talked about lvalues yet and I'm halfway through) But I still can't grasp why the C++ compiler won't automatically see the lvalue and switch it around.

I know it's so much easier just to avoid asking and just learn to do it the right way, but I always learn best when I understand why things have to be done a certain way.

Because the assignment operator means something, and isn't just a pretty symbot for the compiler to use however it wants.

I think are mistaking the purpose of a compiler. It isn't there to be be silenced or to assume anything.

See:

int x = 100;
int y = 2;
const int z = 20;

y = x;
x = z
z = y

supergenius1994
February 21st, 2010, 09:11 PM
I can't get this app compiled in Geany. It's just a simple app, and I can't figure out why Geany won't let it compile.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()

{

int value;

1024 = value;

return 0;

}

The g++ error it reports is:
int.cpp:11: error: invalid lvalue in assignment

What gives? I have had this compile in Eclipse and kdevelop and in DevC++ in linux. This is just a sample test app I compile to get used to the IDE s I've been testing.
you said:
"1024=value;"
1024 is a number, it cannot be set to a value, anything on the left of the equal sign is changed