PDA

View Full Version : Running Dell remastered Ubuntu live today.

Linuxratty
March 21st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Well,a friend sent me the disk,and i thought I'd give it a spin.
Not bad,not bad at all!
Have many of you tried it?

bwhite82
March 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
What exactly was "remastered"? What changes?

bwhite82
March 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Answered my own question with a little Googling. From the Dell/Linux wiki:

Dell Remastered Ubuntu 7.04 ISO

Dell Linux Engineering team has a remastered copy of the Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD available for download. It includes native system hardware support and many of the fixes listed below. The media will help you get the system installed and running with the necessary drivers. The goal of this media is to provide Dell customers who have not purchased Ubuntu 7.04 pre-installed on these systems with all of the fixes we apply to the factory-installation image.

The media has been created specifically to resolve issues on the following system:

* Inspiron E1505n
* Inspiron 1420n
* Inspiron 530n

NOTE:This media contains GPL-licensed drivers only, and does not contain Conexant modem driver for the Inspiron 1420n, E1505n, and 6400n (which can be downloaded separately from http://support.dell.com). All drivers on this media are already available in the Ubuntu 7.04 apt repositories.
[edit] Download Dell Ubuntu Image

DISCLAIMER: These images are both unofficial Dell recovery media. They are not officially Dell-supported. Do not call Dell Technical support with questions about this image, or software installed by this image, as they will not be able to help you. To get help, please send an email to the Dell linux-desktops mailing list.

* Latest Dell Install DVD Image
* Latest Dell Install CD Image

NOTE: After installation, be sure to update to the latest system software.

NOTE: The CD image has been modified to remove components such as OpenOffice to make room for additional Dell specific drivers and fixes. This was done ONLY because we ran out of space. Please use Synaptic to download OpenOffice from the online Ubuntu repositories.

aaaantoine
March 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
Did they remaster 7.10?

bwhite82
March 21st, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yes, from the same wiki:
(http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10)

Dell OS Reinstallation 7.10 DVD ISO

The Dell Linux Engineering team has a custom copy of the Ubuntu 7.10 Live CD available for download. It includes native system hardware support and many of the fixes listed below. The media will help you get the system installed and running with the necessary drivers. The goal of this media is to provide Dell customers who have not purchased Ubuntu 7.10 pre-installed on these systems with all of the fixes we apply to the factory-installation image.

Download Dell Ubuntu Image

DISCLAIMER: These images are unofficial Dell recovery media and are provided as-is. Do not call Dell Technical support with questions about this image, or software installed by this image, as they will not be able to help you. If you have any questions, please send an email to the Dell linux-desktops mailing list.

aaaantoine
March 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
I admire Dell's efforts to provide support for Linux users. My next laptop will be a Dell for this very reason.