PDA

View Full Version : UK code patent accepted via courts

Tom Mann
March 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7307375.stm

Seems that Symbian have kicked the UK's IP office in the teeth, and set us on the downward spiral towards the US patent system with this court verdict.

Where will this eventually leave Linux in the UK, currently we enjoy having MP3/DVD decoding and no worries from Microsoft...

Discuss :)

regomodo
March 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Well, at least the Government is being seen to try to attempt to overturn this ruling.

One more reason why i'm emigrating

fatality_uk
March 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7307375.stm

Seems that Symbian have kicked the UK's IP office in the teeth, and set us on the downward spiral towards the US patent system with this court verdict.

Where will this eventually leave Linux in the UK, currently we enjoy having MP3/DVD decoding and no worries from Microsoft...

Discuss :)

The fact is the EU patent office by proxy, overturned the UK's ruling. The UK had held the opinion that it wasn't possible to license this application. The finger of blame should point towards Brussels!

bruce89
March 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
I'm even more for Scottish Independence.

djbsteart1
March 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hear hear for independance. why is the world so driven by money, can't poeple just chill out and hit each other with clubs again for a bit?

drascus
March 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Oh No Just as in the US were are getting ready to overturn Software patents you guys get them. That really sucks. Well hopefully they don't go as strict as France where you can be jailed for having such things. The best thing I can suggest to do is get in touch with your local chapters of the Free Software Foundation. Get in touch with the people at http://endsoftpatents.org/ and overall prepare for a good fight.

bruce89
March 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM
can't poeple just chill out and hit each other with clubs again for a bit?

Politicians do this already, but with words.

Bruce M.
March 21st, 2008, 04:02 PM

Hmmm, a William Wallace wannabe.
I stand with Bruce89!

EdThaSlayer
March 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM
You have probably heard this many times, but the end of software freedom is near. Soon we will all use .ogg for everything. Well, until a viable and easy to use .ogg video editor comes out(I don't know any out there, could be my lack of libraries on my pc).

Chame_Wizard
March 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM
This will only wake up piracy :lolflag:

cprofitt
March 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM

When Scotland wins independence I might move there (from the States) and then claim my ancestral homeland (I come from Picts) and ask all the Scots to go back to Ireland.

Just teasing...

Seriously it would be nice to see Scotland and Wales become independent.

I would also like to see the US / England / Wales / Scotland / Canada / Ireland all join to make an EU like body. English speakers need to unite!!

OK... I am kidding again.

Sorry for the depravity of my humor.

regomodo
March 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Well, until a viable and easy to use .ogg video editor comes out(I don't know any out there, could be my lack of libraries on my pc).

there aren't any

Kevbert
March 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
You know what people say...the law is an ***.

bruce89
March 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
When Scotland wins independence I might move there (from the States) and then claim my ancestral homeland (I come from Picts) and ask all the Scots to go back to Ireland.

Fair enough, Ireland's a lot better off than Scotland is.

Sorry for the depravity of my humor.

It's good to see someone understand the concept of the UK. I once had to fix a load of articles of Wikipedia as someone changed "United Kingdom" to "England".

smoker
March 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM
hmm, independence, yes please...

:-)

bruce89
March 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
hmm, independence, yes please...

:-)

/me contemplates a new thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=730976).

DoctorMO
March 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
I would also like to see the US / England / Wales / Scotland / Canada / Ireland all join to make an EU like body. English speakers need to unite!!

We have that already it's called the Commonwealth: The United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, South Africa, India ect

djbsteart1
March 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hmmm, a William Wallace wannabe.
I stand with Bruce89!

I call that we go get the real King back from Oz and march against the queeb, over throw her and reinstate the right family line. But however we do it, we need to win this time.

As for politions beating each other with words, if it was clubs there wouldn't be any left, the world would work. Its like when you drive and the traffic lights are down, the roads don't have big long tailbacks any more. I up for the bronze age again,

drascus
March 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
You have probably heard this many times, but the end of software freedom is near. Soon we will all use .ogg for everything. Well, until a viable and easy to use .ogg video editor comes out(I don't know any out there, could be my lack of libraries on my pc).

I think this is a bad stance to take. If they crush Software Freedom without opposition It wil l be verry hard to recover from. I suggest we all just dig in and get vocal.

BigSilly
March 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
I think this is a bad stance to take. If they crush Software Freedom without opposition It wil l be verry hard to recover from. I suggest we all just dig in and get vocal.

And that's the best advice we can hope for. I won't take it lying down anyway.

djbsteart1
March 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Its nice to lnow that even if this gets passed they OSS movement will continue, I think it has reached a size now where it cannot be stopped. Especially now that America is opening up, the chances are that other countries will also follow.