PDA

View Full Version : Bored with Ubuntu

ChaoticVengeance
March 21st, 2008, 04:12 AM
After countless tweaks and hacks I find myself in an interesting dilemma. I've grown bored of using Ubuntu; I think it's maybe a little too user friendly for my tastes. With Windows I never had this problem as there was always something to fix, some maintenance to perform.
Want I want now is something a little more intermediate as far as skill level. I want a distro that's less user friendly, one that requires more working knowledge of the Linux OS. I want to learn the capabilities and nuances in a sink-or-swim environment. Can anyone recommend such a distro?

PS...Has anyone else felt this way after using Ubuntu after a while?

Bölvağur
March 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM
No, I haven't.
But you might want to check Gentoo. You might learn a lot of it, but I think you'll be bored of it also after you've set everything up.

Ecclesia
March 21st, 2008, 04:19 AM
Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard anyone make this type of complaint. There are a ton of distros you can move to if Ubuntu is too easy for you, but why not take that extra energy for problem solving and do something with it... if I had this problem I might learn how to do some coding. That might provide a challenge.

If I had the time to spend working on a distro that's not as easy as Ubuntu I would head right to Slackware. That should be a big enough challenge and it's fast!

init1
March 21st, 2008, 04:25 AM
Yes, I have. I learned the most from floppy distros since they forced me to use the CLI. I recommend experimenting with TTYLinux.
http://www.minimalinux.org/ttylinux/

MrChips
March 21st, 2008, 04:27 AM
Just the opposite for me. The less tweaking and hacking I have to do the more apps I can spend time with. So yeah, I want to be a little bored with an OS. It can get a little distracting. ;)

Victormd
March 21st, 2008, 04:30 AM
Just the opposite for me. The less tweaking and hacking I have to do the more apps I can spend time with. So yeah, I want to be a little bored with an OS. It can get a little distracting. ;)

I agree... a little tweaking is good, but can get distracting...

LaRoza
March 21st, 2008, 04:32 AM
After countless tweaks and hacks I find myself in an interesting dilemma. I've grown bored of using Ubuntu; I think it's maybe a little too user friendly for my tastes. With Windows I never had this problem as there was always something to fix, some maintenance to perform.
Want I want now is something a little more intermediate as far as skill level. I want a distro that's less user friendly, one that requires more working knowledge of the Linux OS. I want to learn the capabilities and nuances in a sink-or-swim environment. Can anyone recommend such a distro?

Gentoo, Arch, Slackware.

Darkagentx
March 21st, 2008, 04:37 AM
Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard anyone make this type of complaint. There are a ton of distros you can move to if Ubuntu is too easy for you, but why not take that extra energy for problem solving and do something with it... if I had this problem I might learn how to do some coding. That might provide a challenge.

If I had the time to spend working on a distro that's not as easy as Ubuntu I would head right to Slackware. That should be a big enough challenge and it's fast!

Yeah, I'd second this; slackware might just be what you're after. Still, Operating systems aren't games; feels a little odd that while control is nice one can get bored. Still, I know I like playing around with all the different apps available for download, but even when I'm done with that I doubt I'd switch for "something else"...

deepclutch
March 21st, 2008, 04:39 AM
source distributions without efficient package manager s99ks :D
Err...did I say slackware ;)

@OP:archlinux is what u need!gentoo is well,little more experiance that u need!else go for sourcemag linux. :D

SomeGuyDude
March 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM
The Linux Curse: you're accustomed to doing things to improve the experience, so when everything is working fine, you feel bored and unfulfilled.

I suggest messing with Conky from now until the end of time. It'll give you something to do.

chewearn
March 21st, 2008, 04:59 AM

You are not doing it right :)

After you found yourself with nothing else to tweak in your system, you should go the deep end, and fix other people problems. Sometimes, I intentionally broke my own install (to replicate the problem); then it force me to find the fix. There are plenty of unanswered post for you to choose.

odiseo77
March 21st, 2008, 05:02 AM
I've felt like that. Not only with Ubuntu, but also with other distros I've tried. I guess it's "normal" once everything is set up and working. If you like to customize, maybe you want to give Arch a try as others have suggested; I started using it some days ago and it's a great distro. You could even try Gentoo or FreeBSD, if you want something to keep you busy for some time.

ChaoticVengeance
March 21st, 2008, 05:11 AM
The Linux Curse: you're accustomed to doing things to improve the experience, so when everything is working fine, you feel bored and unfulfilled.

I suggest messing with Conky from now until the end of time. It'll give you something to do.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the Linux curse. It's really a matter of learning something new and applying it.

DJ_Peng
March 21st, 2008, 05:18 AM
I find there's always something to play around with, whether it's a program I read about but haven't used or some new Screenlets or AWN applets to take for a spin.

You may want to try grabbing the latest version of Firefox 3 (beta 4 is out, and beta 5 or RC1 should be coming out before too long) and set it up, getting the plugins, etc. working. It may be unnecessary due to how Ubuntu includes it in the repos, but it could be a great way to play around with Firefox in Ubuntu if only to see how it would be done manually and to see how it differs from Ubuntu's Firefox. (And it is different, which is why I get my straight Firefox from Mozilla.)

madjr
March 21st, 2008, 07:17 AM
You think you know how to fix it all ?

then go to the new user and support forums and prove it

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=173

people will appreciate your help there.

also another distro that would interest you is foresight linux , since is not as user friendly in some aspects...

http://www.foresightlinux.com/news.html

they are getting a good amount of press lately and they will need people who know or can learn to solve some problems.

LookTJ
March 21st, 2008, 07:21 AM
You can look at FreeBSD :).

billgoldberg
March 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM

No I haven't.

If you feel bored, upgrade to the newest beta version of hardy and fix the stuff that's still broken.

Gina
March 21st, 2008, 09:10 AM
No, I'm far from bored!! Using Linux and particularly Ubuntu has given me a new lease of life. I found that with *******! You couldn't really do anything - it's too restrictive, it's too slow etc. Now I can program again - bash, perl etc. Also, there's the Hardy development forum - help test the new release and if you have any programming skils or want to learn go there and help the cause.

BUT FOR GOODNESS SAKE DON'T SAY YOU'RE BORED WITH UBUNTU!!! There's SO MUCH to do - I could never be bored! In fact there aren't enough hours in the day. I love it!! I love it to bits!! And the new (Yet to be released) Hardy Heron is better than ever.

acidsolution
March 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
no I am not bored whenever i feel like bored i just go through Ubuntu forums for some tricks tips and lot other happening in Ubuntu and start trying the same in mine computer :)

frankos44
March 21st, 2008, 09:21 AM
I guess there is no pleasing some people. If the system was flaky or insecure you would be rightfully complaining about it especially as it probable cost you money for the OS.

Now you have a free secure reliable OS. If you are bored, try learning a few programming languages and make your computer sing your tune. You wont be bored then and you NEVER stop learning.

I'm bored with working too hard.

regomodo
March 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
In order of timeconsumingness(sic), most at the top:-

1. Gentoo
2. Arch
3. Slackware
4. Debian Sid

jespdj
March 21st, 2008, 09:47 AM
Bored?! But there is so much to do to improve Ubuntu!

Please, go and have a look at Ubuntu Development (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment). There are TONS of things to do to make Ubuntu even better than it already is. For example:

- Learn how to package software so that it can be added to the Ubuntu repository - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/GettingStarted
- Triage, find and fix bugs - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs
- Help translating Ubuntu to other languages
- Look at Ubuntu Brainstorm (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/) and implement an idea that you think is good
- Learn programming
- Get involved in an open source project

There is more to do than a person can do in a whole lifetime.

intense.ego
March 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM
Its sort of the opposite with me. I got very bored with windows. In ubuntu there is always room for improvement, themes and fonts to change, trying different DEs and WMs, etc.

Blessed_Coffee
March 21st, 2008, 11:10 AM
Try Gentoo.
Gentoo is less of a distro, and more of a soul crushing test.

popch
March 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
Try Gentoo.
Gentoo is less of a distro, and more of a soul crushing test.

Is this the one where you manually compile the Kernel using pencil and paper?

rune0077
March 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
After you found yourself with nothing else to tweak in your system, you should go the deep end, and fix other people problems. Sometimes, I intentionally broke my own install (to replicate the problem); then it force me to find the fix. There are plenty of unanswered post for you to choose.

That's the Linux attitude: "If it ain't broke, tweak it some more!"

Lord Illidan
March 21st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Gentoo wasn't that hard, I've tried it. The worst part is compiling the kernel and making sure you've left nothing out.

To the OP: I recommend Arch Linux heartily. It's by far the best distro I've used now.

EdThaSlayer
March 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Why don't you create your own distro? That is the ultimate tweaking you can do! :D

barbedsaber
March 21st, 2008, 02:06 PM
nice to be in control of the computer i'nnit? when you ditch windows, you can tell the compute to do somthing, and it does it, cool huh?

because in closed source, computers program YOU!

(sorry, had to let it out. :) )

cprofitt
March 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM

+1 for suggesting coding

Though to be honest I went distro hopping and will likely be using Debian / Arch more often than Ubuntu... just because I like to tinker.

drascus
March 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
well I guess this kind of a weird complaint but OK. Try Damn Small Linux you will have to figure out how to install it on your system that will be challenge one. And I don't think they have a package management system so You will have to either install one or do all the package management on your own. There is also no built in update system so you will have to search for updates and manage them on your own. I mean and then you could try to look for one of those command line only distros that have just about nothing. If you like ubuntu you can try Fluxbuntu. I found that to have some nice challenges in its interface.

Gina
March 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
nice to be in control of the computer i'nnit? when you ditch windows, you can tell the compute to do somthing, and it does it, cool huh?

because in closed source, computers program YOU!

(sorry, had to let it out. :) )I couldn't agree more! :) Windows numbs the brain! Couldn't move much in XP and I gather Vista is worse. I had a few ventures into Linux before but found Ubuntu allowed me to really get into it. It was like a breath of fresh air - I found my brain came alive again - I was in control! Like you say. I'm LIVING again! :):)

djbsteart1
March 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
well I guess this kind of a weird complaint but OK. Try Damn Small Linux you will have to figure out how to install it on your system that will be challenge one. And I don't think they have a package management system so You will have to either install one or do all the package management on your own. There is also no built in update system so you will have to search for updates and manage them on your own. I mean and then you could try to look for one of those command line only distros that have just about nothing. If you like ubuntu you can try Fluxbuntu. I found that to have some nice challenges in its interface.

Installing DSL isn't that hard, it was the first distro I ecer tried, straight off windows and into linux. No problems until java, windows looked very appealling after that.

Ripfox
March 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
Still, Operating systems aren't game

?

They can be a game if you want them to be...that's the good thing about Linux being so moddable, I have frequently pushed older machines to the limit to see what they could do under Linux, kind of making it a "game" :popcorn:

sujoy
March 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
being the distro hopper that i am, i still wouldn't say that I am bored. other than suggesting coding (which is what i am trying to do :)) i would say, go do something else. nowadays i feel like i am becoming a linux addict, trying all the distros, WMs and what not. so instead of tinkering about where not needed why don't you try to catch up on some old hobbies, gardening etc.

and if you still miss all the tweaking then yes, welcome to open source, do some real work ..

ODF
March 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
If ubuntu is boring for you, you should try something called ... physical activities.

lespaul_rentals
March 21st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Gentoo, Arch, Slackware.

LaRoza wins again.

Linuxratty
March 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM

Not me...I want it to just work fine and play nice. I need nothing more and expect nothing less.
Only when a distro really annoys me, I get curious, ,or it's master does a deal with Microsoft do I change distros.
I'm upstream from Ubuntu, but I don't find Ubuntu boring,or the distros based off it boring either.

If your REALLY bored, come join the KLIKIT team and help Chris with Klikit.

http://loscompanion.com/forums/index.php

il-luzhin
March 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Depending how adept a user you are you might find just going deep into the CLI a new experience.

I recently switched from gnome to fluxbox and found for a newb like myself it was a pleasure of new challenges and regular breaks. I'm left with the feeling many have that gnome just does too much sometimes.

aaaantoine
March 21st, 2008, 08:09 PM
Bored?! But there is so much to do to improve Ubuntu!

Please, go and have a look at Ubuntu Development (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment). There are TONS of things to do to make Ubuntu even better than it already is. For example:

- Learn how to package software so that it can be added to the Ubuntu repository - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/GettingStarted
- Triage, find and fix bugs - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs
- Help translating Ubuntu to other languages
- Look at Ubuntu Brainstorm (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/) and implement an idea that you think is good
- Learn programming
- Get involved in an open source project

There is more to do than a person can do in a whole lifetime.

It's a good list.

If you're satisfied with Ubuntu for yourself, consider working to make it better for everyone else. Not everyone feels the same way about Ubuntu, and could use your contributions.

derekr44
March 22nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
I enjoy woodworking. It's fun.

cardinals_fan
March 22nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Arch might be a good fit for you. Zenwalk is worth a try for it's sheer awesomeness, even if it's a bit to "easy" for you.

barbedsaber
March 22nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Y Still, Operating systems aren't games; ..

no, but compiz fusion is,I have spent hours changing effects, playing with them, and sticking with them for a week, or maybe even two, before changing them all again. Its fun to use Linux!

hehe spiny cube fun!

freedom rocks :guitar:

frankos44
March 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Less bugs to fix means more time for bedroom activities

rye_
April 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
I find using linux makes life so easy that yes I sometimes wander too.
I've played with Sabayon, Arch as well as your Suse, Fedora etc.

Each time I change, upon installation I realise that I've made an enormous mistake. It's an overused statement, but ubuntu does just work. It's 6 month cycle is enough for me, it's always stable, and it's package management and server s are excellent. Coupled with the tools (i.e. codec installation notification) the system IMHO is just simply the best out there.

Though I do wish there were more available low-level info in guides etc, so I could learn a bit more much like is offered in the Arch Community.

Ryan

niteordayj
April 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Gentoo and Slackware would be good to try out as they require much more work and manual configuring. If you REALLY want a good challenge, you should try Linux From Scratch (LFS) or Core Linux. With LFS you literally build a Linux system from code. Once the the base system is built you can mold the distro into whatever your imagination can come up with. I think Core is similiar except the Core team already has the base system built. You just add whatever pieces you want.

GOROSSI
April 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
As an operating system for home use Ubuntu is excellent install all the Programs you need from synaptic with just a few clicks and 30hr download time you have a usable system that fully updates itself and programs as well.

Windows Doesn't do that as I recall, just system updates? leaving more time for :popcorn: and a DVD in VLC.