PDA

View Full Version : Need to learn programming, i have an idea!

kevin11951
March 21st, 2008, 02:14 AM
as a few of us know, there is a program for checking to see if you have mail in gmail (cgmail), but i use AOL! and as far as i know, there is no aol version for this. so i want to make one. based on cgmail

i am very new to programming, so this will be my intro. if anyone wants to help me (please help!), i will be putting:

cAmail (Check AOL Mail)

on launchpad as a brand new project (am i even allowed to take someone else's code, edit it, and release it as my own, with out going to jail, or getting fined, is that possible, i really do not believe that!).

so... help anyone?

LaRoza
March 21st, 2008, 02:15 AM
on launchpad as a brand new project (am i even allowed to take someone else's code, edit it, and release it as my own, with out going to jail, or getting fined, is that possible, i really do not believe that!).

If it is under the GPL, you can use it, if your work is under the GPL. Look at the licenses to see what you can do and use.

kevin11951
March 21st, 2008, 02:26 AM
If it is under the GPL, you can use it, if your work is under the GPL. Look at the licenses to see what you can do and use.

i think it is, here have a look: http://cgmail.tuxfamily.org/index.html (see bottom)

also, is launchpad for the development of software?

kevin11951
March 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM
just wondering, but does anyone wana help me?

macogw
March 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM
Er....anything with POP or IMAP support works with it, because it's *not* Check GMail, it's Check GNOME Mail.

kevin11951
March 21st, 2008, 03:43 AM
Er....anything with POP or IMAP support works with it, because it's *not* Check GMail, it's Check GNOME Mail.

oh... well it was written as gmail somewhere else, so i copied them. anyway, aol is imap, so it should work, right?

macogw
March 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM
oh... well it was written as gmail somewhere else, so i copied them. anyway, aol is imap, so it should work, right?

yep

kiddo
March 21st, 2008, 03:56 AM
kevin, maybe you would want to start with an existing code base (in python) and work for creating a "mail watch" for specto, if AOL's mail is really special (ie: it's not just plain imap). Or, you could write the entire app from scratch, that's up to you and that's fine too ;)

As long as you abide by the terms of the license (ex: the GPL in most projects) you are not breaking the license, and therefore, perfectly permitted to take the code and make your own derivative... as long as it's not slander of title I guess.