PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a easy JAVA IDE/ "Like TextPad"

linorics
March 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Well I am taking a class on Java right now, and we are using TextPad to compile and run our programs. I have tryed out some of the other Java IDE's for linux but they have been way over my head. I want something that I can type a single program into and run it. I mean I dont need to set up a project to do a for loop that prints i 10 times. Does anyone know of a simple IDE or somthing that is like TextPad? Or any other way to do what i'm wanting?

I have tried;
BlueJ
NetBeans
Eclipse

so if anyone could help me to break away from my Microsoft dependency I would love it.

LaRoza
March 20th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Well I am taking a class on Java right now, and we are using TextPad to compile and run our programs. I have tryed out some of the other Java IDE's for linux but they have been way over my head. I want something that I can type a single program into and run it. I mean I dont need to set up a project to do a for loop that prints i 10 times. Does anyone know of a simple IDE or somthing that is like TextPad? Or any other way to do what i'm wanting?

I have tried;
BlueJ
NetBeans
Eclipse

so if anyone could help me to break away from my Microsoft dependency I would love it.

TextPad to compile and run? No, you use a compiler to compile, and you use the jre to run.

Look at the sticky, eclipse seems to be a favourite, as is netbeans, but I don't use IDE's. The sticky has a howto for compiling and running java programs from start to finish, and has an IDE thread.

nick_h
March 20th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Geany will do what you want. It is in the repositories - install it with:

sudo apt-get install geany

inksmithy
March 21st, 2008, 12:11 AM
Another alternative is BlueJ (google it) which has a few plugins for things like simple gui development and so on. I'm using it at the moment in an Open University course in the UK and its brilliant.

The absolute best way to learn java though is to go through the Java Tutorial (sun.com), starting with a text editor and the command line, then moving on to netbeans or eclipse when you are ready for it.

kneeo
April 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
thanks nick_h

I was looking for something similar to Textpad and Geany looks exactly like it. Thank you!

-Kneeo

linorics
May 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys for all the help. I took a weekend and learned how to use eclipse. It was so worth it. so thanks again.