PDA

View Full Version : Your plans for the Hardy Heron??

ptn107
March 20th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Will everyone be installing the Hardy Heron, or sticking with their current version? Upgrade or clean install?

DoktorSeven
March 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I did a clean install of the prerelease, but only because I had to clean/rearrange stuff on my HD anyway (mmm, fresh start).

Chame_Wizard
March 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Maybe next year,when 7.10 support is off :guitar:

FuturePilot
March 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Upgrade.

Wobedraggled
March 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Already dove in :)

SomeGuyDude
March 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Not sure. I was really annoyed by the fact that Hardy was laggy as heck, but that's an Alpha, so I'll definitely give the stable a whirl. Likely an upgrade.

justin whitaker
March 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Already dove in :)

Me too. I will probably do a clean reinstall on the final release though.

Twitch6000
March 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I will do an upgrade I like what is coming with hardy so I see no reason not to get it :).

stainless_steel
March 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM
what are the advantages of a clean install over an upgrade?
how well does upgrading work? im not concerned about it being hard, but the only OS upgrades that ive ever seen was when my parents tried to upgrade windows 2000 to ME or something (it wasnt pretty)

i'll do an upgrade asuming it works correctly. ive spent the last month working with gutsy and just gotten (almost) everything set up right.

FuturePilot
March 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
The advantage of a fresh install is that there's no chance for anything to go wrong during the upgrade. But the downside is you have to reinstall and configure all your programs all over again.

The advantage of upgrading is that you don't have to reinstall and reconfigure all your programs. The downside is that there is a slight chance something may get messed up. That said, the past couple of upgrades I've done have gone without any problems. :)

stainless_steel
March 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
do most people report satisfaction on upgrading? if so i'll try that.
hmm.. i'll have to burn a new iso disc

Het Irv
March 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Last time 'round I did an upgrade, but it took forever. This time I am going to backup my /home and start fresh.

Wobedraggled
March 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
do most people report satisfaction on upgrading? if so i'll try that.
hmm.. i'll have to burn a new iso disc

My last "upgrade" was miserable, but the jump to hardy even in it's pre-release state has been bliss.

notwen
March 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Will wait a monthish or so and keep an eye out for any issues regarding my used hardware/applications. Once I feel safe, I'll download the latest iso, play w/ the LiveCD for a week and eventually perform a clean install. =]

kjb34
March 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I think I'll wait a month or so before I upgrade.

WastingBody
March 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'll be doing an upgrade seeing as how my CD burner quit working.

madjr
March 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
what are the advantages of a clean install over an upgrade?
how well does upgrading work? im not concerned about it being hard, but the only OS upgrades that ive ever seen was when my parents tried to upgrade windows 2000 to ME or something (it wasnt pretty)

i'll do an upgrade asuming it works correctly. ive spent the last month working with gutsy and just gotten (almost) everything set up right.

with a fresh install you can keep gutsy and use hardy worry free. Hardy will lack some apps for like a month or 2.

i use the linuxmint live-cd for re-installation which is a snap, i just don't use amarok and the kde libs

but if u like it you could remastersys ubuntu and back it up, it will re-install with your exact config.

You could even distribute your backup as a live-cd to friends

Het Irv
March 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I'll be doing an upgrade seeing as how my CD burner quit working.
Yeah, that doesn't leave you with many options.

SpenceMakesSense
March 20th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Upgrade defenitly. Too much stuff I'de have to move then all the reinstalling :P. Had to deal with that going from feisty to gutsy not doing that again:D

smartboyathome
March 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Sticking with my current version. Already running hardy for a little while because I like testing. :D

klange
March 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I'll be upgrading my laptop as soon as we're into the beta phase. My desktop / server has been running Hardy for a while now with no problems. I'm happy that some of my own code work is included with Hardy (some enhancements to the 3d Windows and Cube Caps plugins for Compiz).

ptn107
March 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I think I'm going to give the upgrade a try. I had no problems upgrading Gutsy to Hardy in alphas 5 & 6 using a virtual machine. I also tried the upgrade process on an extra laptop with no hitches. Don't know what to expect with the final release though since I heard that Feisty to Gutsy upgrades were hit or miss.

MemoryDump
March 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I need to rid myself completetly of my WinXP partitions and re-arrange stuff. So a clean install for me! woot.. can't wait :D

mirwin77
March 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'll be doing a clean install because I like to be sure there aren't any left over files that are no longer in use since installing the new version. Most of the applications I use are in the repository and will only take a few minutes to re-install and configure anyway.

keithpeter
March 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm using a separate partition for /home on my Asus Pundit box, so a clean install but with settings preserved. I like the idea of a long term release...

amazingtaters
March 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I prefer a clean install. I'm a generally cluttered person, and that carries over somwhat onto my computer. So, it's nice to have a fresh clean install twice a year or so.

Bruce M.
March 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I'm going to play around, here's what I'm planning:

Download the Live and Alt ISO's and create the CD's
Then "upgrade" to 8.04
In QuickStart: Run Option 7 - House Cleaning > Auto Clean; Cleans system from previous upgrades.

If that doesn't work, I'll do a clean install from the Alt CD.

Only because I want to test QuickStart's functions. :)
See my signature for QuickStart.

EDIT: I "plan" on doing this in July to celebrate one year with Ubuntu. :)
But you know the old saying: The best laid plans of mice and men .....

conehead77
March 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I will install it on my test partition and make a clean install on the main partition if most things work.
I have a separate /home and other data partitions of course.

drascus
March 20th, 2008, 09:31 PM
For some reason I am never happy upgrading. It never really gives me the feel of a new system. Also I am always worried that some issue might arise with the upgrade that breaks my system or leaves a lot of clutter on my drive. I could be wrong about that as I don't know the technical details of the upgrade.

elamericano
March 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Clean install for 8.04, then stay with it for years. I ran 6.06 until a hard drive crash, then 7.10, but I had intended to wait for the LTS.

I may jump on with Beta. Anyone know what time of day they usually post those?

Bungo Pony
March 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I think everybody should upgrade at least once :)

I learned the hard way. I upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy and everything went to hell. Did a fresh install and things were a *little* better. But with the fresh install, I put my /home directory on a seperate partition. I'm doing a clean install a week or two after the initial release, although it's hard to wait when everyone here is bragging about how wonderful the new Ubuntu is ;)

SunnyRabbiera
March 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Me I dont know, I might dual boot my computer with Mint and Ubuntu hardy, as I am unsure if I want to leave mint or not as its served me well.

JAPrufrock
March 21st, 2008, 12:10 AM
I have a 64bit AMD and I've been upgrading it since Dapper (all 64 bit OSs). That's impressive! This time I'm going to do a clean install because I dual-boot with XP and the XP is giving me problems. And of course if I reinstall XP it will wipe out my Ubuntu. Anyway, it's probably time for a clean install.

nick_h
March 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM
I'll be doing a clean install but not immediately after the release.

LaRoza
March 21st, 2008, 12:32 AM
I have had good experiences upgrading, I did it for Gutsy.

I will, if I don't see a wave of issues that I relate to (hardware specific or software specific), I will upgrade after backing everything up.

If it works, I will leave it. I *may* do a clean install, but not likely.

apc15x
March 21st, 2008, 12:41 AM
I always do a clean install. For me I don't have any left over stuff from the previous version. Ubuntu is so easy to install that after a clean install I am up and running in no time.

stchman
March 21st, 2008, 12:42 AM
Feisty runs very well for me. I may wait until a couple of months after Hardy and then do a clean install. Only thing is I have everything the way I want on my machines.

cardinals_fan
March 21st, 2008, 12:49 AM
I would probably do a clean install, but I'm spending so much time on my Zenwalk partition these days that it might not be worth the bother.

OFF-TOPIC: Awesome avatar stchman!

ad_267
March 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
I just discovered APTonCD which will make reinstalling software a lot easier so I'll probably do a clean install and move my /home to a new partition. I also want to change a partition I've got all my music on from ntfs to fat32 so I might do that too.

macogw
March 21st, 2008, 01:18 AM
I did a clean install of Hardy alpha 5 a few weeks ago.

chucky chuckaluck
March 21st, 2008, 01:23 AM
i always clean install new versions. it's kind of like getting a new toy. i get to clean up all my crap and i usually try something new (last time, it was xubuntu instead of ubuntu). this time, i'll go with the most minimal installation i can.

gsmanners
March 21st, 2008, 01:41 AM
I should mention that although I will be "upgrading" from here on, I did do a clean install when alpha 5 came out.

ptn107
March 21st, 2008, 05:21 AM
Just did a fresh install of Hardy beta on my extra laptop and one of my production desktops. Both installs were flawless and I must say Hardy is impressive.

articpenguin
March 21st, 2008, 05:27 AM
Clean install plus reformatting my /home after using JFS there for nearly a year. Write speeds have dropped down to 6MB/s and i can conform its fragmentation.

O3.
March 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM
Upgrade.

Unitux
March 21st, 2008, 05:51 AM
upgrade. Its much interesting then clean install (booo) :)

Mustard
March 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM
I generally upgrade, but only after watching the forums for a while to see what issues others had with upgrading. Once the initial 'hiccups' have been fully explored and documented, I'd upgrade my main install.

I really like the LTS releases for when I get to a stage that I dont really feel like fiddling around with linux 24/7. Compiz fusion was the only thing that got me to upgrade from Dapper to Gutsy. The allure of the eye-candy was too much to resist!

If I really wanted to play around though beforehand, I would do a clean install on a separate partition.

Irihapeti
March 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM
Because I'm on dialup I'll be waiting for Hardy to appear on the New Zealand PCWorld magazine DVD. That also gives me a chance to see what problems other people are having. Gutsy works well enough for me, so I see no need to rush.

Kingsley
March 21st, 2008, 05:58 AM
I probably won't try it out until mid-May when my college finals stress is over.

klange
March 21st, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm upgrading my laptop as I type this. Going to need to repatch Nautilus (for wallpaper support and RGBA colomaps), patch Pidgin (for RGBA colormaps), block updates of Compiz and install from git, etc. etc.

bruce89
March 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
I did both. On the heavily used computer, I reinstalled; on the lightly used one, I upgraded.

klange
March 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'm on to installing upgrades right now. Can't wait.

bvanaerde
March 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
I upgraded to Gutsy without problems.
But since Hardy is a LTS version, I'm thinking of going for a clean install.

FrankVdb
March 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
I think I'll stick to Gutsy for some time. I had a bit of trouble to install a couple of things and to get the mike on my Dell M1330 working. Next to that, I installed quite a lot of stuff from source and I don't want to go through all of that just for the sake of upgrading.

I take it that Gnome will be as laggy as usual under Hardy as it is under Gutsy. Even on a powerful system, Gnome is a bit laggy and I've started to dread it... On a new system, an OS just has to be snappy. No reason to accept anything else... Yeah, I know, I could try Xfce or another window dresser which is simpler and faster than Gnome. Yet I would prefer the standard stuff to be working fast and snappy.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm profoundly grateful for everything the developers - Canonical and all the volunteers - have done to make Ubuntu into what it is now: a superb OS.

I've had my share of problems but I don't care about that. There have always been a couple of people who did their best to help and in a lot of cases this forum has been tremendously useful. Ubuntu just proves that open source works. It's simply incredible.

So, if I'm complaining about Gnome being laggy on a new computer, please put it into perspective.

With love from Belgium.

StageCraft
March 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
I'll keep what I have for now. (I'm going to be retireing this laptop to my sister soon and I dont think she wants something she's unfamiliar with so back to XP <sigh>) but when I get a new one I'll have to clean install. I prefer the LTS anyway and I may even go from xfce to GNOME...

hessiess
March 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
download live cd and try it. if it offers usfal fetures over 7.04 il probaly do a clean install outherwise im stiking to 7.04 for as long as posable

ODF
March 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM
I did a clean install of Hardy alpha 5 a few weeks ago.

Same here. Had some issues with alpha6 upgrade but it is now working fine.

AndyCooll
March 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'll do a clean install. I've had problems with upgrades in the past, and although that may very well be a thing of the past I still prefer a clean install. Besides it helps keep my pc lean since it gets rid of "junk", i.e. apps I've tried but then dismissed but couldn't be bothered to uninstall.

I do install a few extra apps, but it doesn't take very long. And since I've got my /home directory on it's own partition I don't lose any of my settings.

:cool:

MONODA
March 21st, 2008, 10:20 PM
i will probably download the iso, burn it to a cd, backup my data, put the cd in while using ubuntu and upgrade using APT. If it doesnt feel right ill give it a fresh install.

Linuxratty
March 21st, 2008, 10:35 PM
Will everyone be installing the Hardy Heron, or sticking with their current version? Upgrade or clean install?

When Chris slaps Klikit on top of it,I'll get it.

klange
March 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
Well, after a long day, I'm pretty much up and running. Gnome devs made a lot of changes to libeel, making the Compiz wallpaper support patches no longer applicable, which pissed me off. Firefox 3b4 is a lot slower than beta 3 was - have yet to figure out why. Cinelerra is no longer supported (and it was by far the most powerful video editor I've ever used, can anyone point me to a worthwhile alternative, as I can't seem to even get a source build to work). Other than those problems, things seem pretty good everywhere else.

LookTJ
March 21st, 2008, 11:22 PM
Nope, I'm sticking with Arch(which is always at the same speed for the last 2-3 months since I've installed) :D

herbster
March 22nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
Arch fo sho!

FuturePilot
March 22nd, 2008, 04:09 AM
Seems like not many people like to upgrade :p

Well, after a long day, I'm pretty much up and running. Gnome devs made a lot of changes to libeel, making the Compiz wallpaper support patches no longer applicable, which pissed me off. Firefox 3b4 is a lot slower than beta 3 was - have yet to figure out why. Cinelerra is no longer supported (and it was by far the most powerful video editor I've ever used, can anyone point me to a worthwhile alternative, as I can't seem to even get a source build to work). Other than those problems, things seem pretty good everywhere else.

What do you mean Cinelerra is not supported anymore? I'm curious because I've also found it to be the best video editor as well.

danbuter
March 22nd, 2008, 06:33 AM
I just did a clean install of the Hardy beta today. Everything is working great. STuff that was broken in Feisty and Gutsy now works without a hitch. I will probably just continue updates, and not do a clean install after this. :guitar:

wolfen69
March 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
my plan for hardy is the same as the past versions. i love them and support them. big time. ive even begun to make money off ubuntu. i fix windows pc's but recommend linux. doing ok.

ZarathustraDK
March 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
Clean install when the final version of Hardy is out, must...resist..trying...beta...

Not that I'm against upgrading, been upgrading since hoary (or was it breezy?). Anyway, that kind of timespan starts to show when you like trying out new alpha/beta-stuff on a regular basis and messing around with conf-files.

Clean slate for me, new Ubuntu is like a second birthday to me, so I don't wanna spoil the fun by trying beta, however against the development of open source software that may be :)

metalf8801
March 22nd, 2008, 07:07 AM
I'm going to do a clean install on my laptop because its still running 7.04 but I'm leaving my Desktop with Ubuntu ultimate 1.7 until 1.8 comes out.

zedd_D1abl0
March 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Linux is like heroin, the more I get, the more I want.

I'm going to have to re-install simply because my main pc is limping along (failed Compiz attempt). My laptop is already running the Beta, set it up last night, and apart from a few minor issues, it's all sweet.

wolfen69
March 22nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
fresh install is the way to go. if your an install warrior,......

EdThaSlayer
March 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
I'm going to do a clean install all the way. Will wait for the kubuntu Hardy Heron to come out(which hopefully will come out aon the same day as the Ubuntu version, or a week afterwards).

marvelljones
March 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Well, I have been trying various Linux distros and finally made the choice to stick with Ubuntu (64 bit) and modify it myself to my liking. Since I just got it the way I like it, I will have to upgrade and see how it goes. Even though I do backups weekly I always lose something on a clean install. Worst case scenario I get something goofed up and have to do a clean install. I dual boot (try not to shudder) Windows Vista Home Premium and Gutsy 64 bit. So the technique of using disk management to delete the Ubuntu partition (turning it into free space) and then reinstalling from the LiveCD is rather familiar to me.

drunkardivan
March 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Clean install. I stumbled across Gutsy just after is was released, and utterly love the Alpha6 of Hardy. LTS FTW!

ssam
March 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
i have already done a preserve home install
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbiquityPreserveHome