PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I am new to linux all over again ;)

xequence
October 8th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Well, recently, I havnt used linux much. I had it installed but I had just installed windows 2000 so grub wasnt there and I didnt feel like going to the hasle of installing it. I thought I had might as well delete it to make room for music and id just install it along with windows when I get a new computer. I went to osdir and saw some screenshots of ubuntu and kubuntu 5.10 and they looked really appealing, and made me excited about linux all over again.

Also, kubuntu better then it did before. I wonder if I should go KDE this time?

And by the way, I love the new default ubuntu background ;)

But as always, I am worried that the new stuff will make it run slower on my computer e.e

Zelut
October 8th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Well glad to hear that you're coming back from the 2000 crowd. I'm running ubuntu 5.10 on my notebook and 5.04 (just until final release) on my desktop. I can tell you my machine runs faster and more efficiently than it ever did in windows. I used to have some random powerdown issue... not since I switched. I would suggest gnome, but I prefer the simpler operation vs KDE.

darkmatter
October 8th, 2005, 01:39 AM
But as always, I am worried that the new stuff will make it run slower on my computer e.e

Hell no.

I have my Breezy installed on a dinosaur. The only thing slow was GDM, but as of my last update, it's running at top speed.

Breezy really is a major improvement over Hoary.

xequence
October 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Ok, good to know it wont be slow ;)

I really cant wait... But I always like final versions ;) So ill have to.