PDA

View Full Version : Why do people buy more expensive computer than what they need

Bufke
March 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hello

Here is a question that effects Linux users and the computer industry as a whole. Why is it that people buy expensive computers that have capability that is never used. The example I think of is a user wants to use the internet and a word processor. A $300 machine would be sufficient for these task, yet they still purchase the $2000 machine.

This phenomenon effects the spread of Linux as one of Linux's advantages is that it can run fine on less powerful machines when compared to Vista or OS X.

Is this a trend that effects the computer industry more than others? For example few people buy high definition TVs if they intend only on watching low definition public broadcasting.

I haven't seen much discussion on this topic, if anyone has heard of an article on the subject I would be interesting in knowing about it.

Thanks!

original_jamingrit
March 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
It's not really I trend I see much of. I was kind of under the impression that people are becoming more sensible about buying computers that fit their needs.

At least, that's what I notice in my neighbourhood. People with high-performance PCs are just hard-core gamers.

aysiu
March 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I think it's a combination of several factors: If people buy computers in person from a store like Best Buy, the salespeople will often try to convince the consumers to buy the mroe expensive model, even if the consumers' needs are modest, as this is advantageous to the store (more profit). If people want a certain name brand (Apple, for example), sometimes there is no modest-spec cheaper model available (the cheapest Apple computer you can get is $599 for a Mac Mini). A lot of uninformed consumers are under the impression that more expensive items are necessarily of higher quality, so they spend more. Some people get tired of old technology quickly and want something shiny and new, even if they don't need it for their computing habits. That's all I can think of for now. There may be other reasons, too.

FuturePilot
March 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM
This phenomenon effects the spread of Linux as one of Linux's advantages is that it can run fine on less powerful machines when compared to Vista or OS X.
I'm not sure how that effects the spread of Linux. Low end or high end machine, it will still run Linux.

billgoldberg
March 19th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hello

Here is a question that effects Linux users and the computer industry as a whole. Why is it that people buy expensive computers that have capability that is never used. The example I think of is a user wants to use the internet and a word processor. A $300 machine would be sufficient for these task, yet they still purchase the $2000 machine.

Is this a trend that effects the computer industry more than others? For example few people buy high definition TVs if they intend only on watching low definition public broadcasting.

I haven't seen much discussion on this topic, if anyone has heard of an article on the subject I would be interesting in knowing about it.

Thanks!

So the computer is still usable in 5 years when you install the newest OS on it.

CaptainCabinet
March 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I guess if you can afford a nice modern computer it would be hard to resist. Even if it would be overpowered for Linux.

fifth
March 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Some people get tired of old technology quickly and want something shiny and new, even if they don't need it for their computing habits.

+1

Should I be admitting this? :)

Washer
March 19th, 2008, 08:30 PM
they're buying opportunities. For example in the future if crysis 2 comes out & they really like it, they won't have to buy a new computer.

ugm6hr
March 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM
A $300 machine would be sufficient for these task, yet they still purchase the $2000 machine. !

People don't realise this.

Also.... More expensive must be better, right?

This is a common thought process. Simple side-effect of a (relatively) open economy, where things cost as much as they are worth in the market.

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I don't play games, and do not use the visual effects, yet I like having good hardware.

I do not need expensive hardware, that is a fact, but it is the only thing I put money into for my own pleasure.

Everyone I think has something they like, but not need, and fund it. If I were to build a computer (not doing so because I don't have money), I would get the best case, motherboard, and processor I could get (it would be Intel, whenever possible), and I would get the largest reliable hard disks I could, and a lot of RAM.

If I restricted myself to what I need, I could get away with 128 MB of RAM, but 2.5 GB is what I have. In the big picture, the price isn't that different.

Superkoop
March 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
they're buying opportunities. For example in the future if crysis 2 comes out & they really like it, they won't have to buy a new computer.

If, for example, Crysis 2 comes out next year or the year after, and I bought the most top of the line computer today, I would still need to upgrade probably to be able to run on the max settings.

I think the real reason people buy more expensive computers is so they can brag. Duh.

NightwishFan
March 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I know several people that have a computer for youtube or low end games yet they have 3-4gb of ram. I am poor and have 895mb of ram for video encoding, high end graphical applications, etc. That is more than I need but with more I would notice improvments. It is just that those people are either tricked or have money to spare to afford the best. I do not and I am lucky to have recieved what I have. I try not to worry about it too much.

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I know several people that have a computer for youtube or low end games yet they have 3-4gb of ram. I am poor and have 895mb of ram for video encoding, high end graphical applications, etc. That is more than I need but with more I would notice improvments. It is just that those people are either tricked or have money to spare to afford the best. I do not and I am lucky to have recieved what I have. I try not to worry about it too much.

What type of RAM is it? I may know of or have extra of it.

Vitamin-Carrot
March 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I found that there is a common misconception amongst end users.

A lot of them seem to think they can future proof their machines but the fact is that when new hardware comes out faster and better there will always be a version of windows that uses that hardware as much as possible. Take vista for instance it seems to level it out fairly nicely, my roomy has a quad core beastie with 4 gb ram and his machine still runs like a dog, I have a machine with ubuntu on it that’s only a amd 3000+ sempron and when i showed him the difference in boot and loading times compared to his monster of a machine he flew into a rage of anti MS cussing.

Most end users shop with the idea of having what others have and if they cant have it they will get better.

Gamers especially want the shiny new stuff so they can enjoy the latest and greatest games at full detail (like me) really its just like boy racers and their cars except without the noise.

Others just do it because they can.

NightwishFan
March 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I do not recall offhand. I believe it is 2x512 DDR

ugm6hr
March 19th, 2008, 08:55 PM
If I restricted myself to what I need, I could get away with 128 MB of RAM, but 2.5 GB is what I have. In the big picture, the price isn't that different.

This is the difference between need and want.

Analogy time again...

Ferrari or Ford? I don't think anyone could claim to need a Ferrari, but I would certainly like one.

Unfortunately, the price is very different :(

Seriously, whether the price is too different, depends on your financial status.

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Seriously, whether the price is too different, depends on your financial status.

Yes, I said big picture :)

The difference between:

Kingston PC2-4200, 1 GB DIMM: $20.00
Kingston PC2-4200, 512 MB DIMM: $17.29 update $13.97

is moot over time.

The cost for 512 MB of PC2-4200 versus 2.5 GB is not small, but it is minimized over time. Right now, I couldn't buy it. Next month, I could most likely, Once I get it, I keep it and can add. (My RAM was a build up over time, not all at once)

I can't find any lower off hand in size, so 512 is the lowest here.

For RAM, it scales differently from cars naturally.

Washer
March 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
If, for example, Crysis 2 comes out next year or the year after, and I bought the most top of the line computer today, I would still need to upgrade probably to be able to run on the max settings. Probably, but that's besides the point.

- you won't run it at all with a $300 computer & medium settings is better than nothing
- upgrading a graphics card is less expensive than buying a new computer
- who's to say what will come out that can't run on a $300 computer? You can't say upgrading will always be necessary

Although personally I wouldn't spend $2000 on a computer. I'd rather spend $1000 & get a new one in half the time.

I think the real reason people buy more expensive computers is so they can brag. Duh.Eh. It probably varies.

Iam138
March 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
You can also take into account the changing needs of the user.

Say for example I want to simply email my friends do some online shopping and write my own book when I buy a for example XP 2800+ mahcine with 512MB of PC2100 and a 40GB 5400RPM HDD and integrated graphics used b/c that's all I need at the time and it was a sweet deal I thought.

Oops ....I decide i want to broaden my horizons do some intensive gaming or edit video or other digital media. Now I am screwed. While I could concievably do all of this in the example machine with some RAM and graphics upgrades it would cost be quite a bit out of pocket and still have a machine where my experience may be less than desirable.

Better to buy something more powerful than what you need if the price is right (which it rarely is with pre-built ssytems unfortunately) than have something that going be a frustrating paper weight if you want to do something else.

intense.ego
March 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM
So the computer is still usable in 5 years when you install the newest OS on it.

+1

A $300 computer may run today's ubuntu just fine, but come intrepid ibex or the next one, it won't run very well.

NightwishFan
March 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
For most linux though we will always have reasonable support for old hardware. I think if I really were in trouble with getting new hardware. I could get a new Ubuntu minimal cd, and install JWM and only the programs ill use.

drbob07
March 20th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Personally, I buy a better computer then what I need because it's meant to last me quite some time. I don't look forward to replacing my rigs, I run them until they die, or, until there's not much use for them (*cough* 166mhz Pentium 1)

Normally however, I like to buy my parts on the cheap (A generation or two behind current tech)

mcsimon
March 20th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Ʃ[clock speeds] * Ʃ[RAM] is directly proportional to the size of one's member.

'nuff said.

ODF
March 20th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Because money is not an issue.

Having new things is fun.

That's it.

It's like asking why do I always buy brand new cars ? ... Because It's fun.

ODF
March 20th, 2008, 01:46 AM
For example few people buy high definition TVs if they intend only on watching low definition public broadcasting.

O_o

Is that actually possible to get a non-HD tv ? This is the accurate question.

jflaker
March 20th, 2008, 01:56 AM
about 8 years ago, I bought a "top of the line" system with more memory and disk than I needed as well as in a a full height tower

For the next 6 years, I was able to add memory, update the drive and load the latests OS. This was a 400Mhz P4........

2 years ago, we had a car hit a utility pole about 1 block from my house, which brought a 13KV line down on the service electrical lines. Needless to say, the system swallowed some surges which fried the Power and motherboard.

Point is, the system was much more than I needed at the time of purchase and therefore it lasted quite a while and served me quite well.

Today, if money were not an issue, I would do exactly the same thing and buy a system with enough power to give me at least 5 years of service......

pt123
March 20th, 2008, 02:55 AM
It is usually to compensate for a lack of something.
This something also is often the subject of spam mail.

Hopefully it wasn't too hard to figure out I am refering to.

Pethegreat
March 20th, 2008, 03:16 AM
For the same reason people buy big SUVs. A big car is a sign of wealth. A top of the line computer is a sign of wealth.

I spent $500 on my current computer. All I use it for is internet, some word processing, photo storage, messing around, and music. A faster processor or more ram won't make any difference in my day to day operations of it.

NightwishFan
March 20th, 2008, 03:17 AM
=/ I spent 600 on mine and it is less that half that on almost everything.

Washer
March 20th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Well don't feel too bad. I spent 700 on mine & it's about twice his on almost everything :)

PurposeOfReason
March 20th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Laptop or desktop? Laptops just in price like crazy if it's under 5lbs. For desktops, it does make a difference if you have effects enabled. One thing I always like is RAM, you'll never know when you're going to need more of it and a lot of cache is a good thing. I think I might throw in a second gig (saw some at BB for $27) into my laptop. Now I don't think I've ever maxed out the one it has, but swap has been used so it's more to spread my legs so to say (right now I'm using half of it).

Now if I had the money I'd go out and get a quad-core at 2.x GHZ, overclock that. Get a high end nvidia, some BA motherboard, best tower for looks and airflow, 4GB ram, a 10000RPM HDD for boot and a 5400 for everything else but it'd be at least a TB. Get the best heatsink I can fit, the quietest fans etc. Now I would never use all that, or don't think I could, but it's there if I need it. That and folding@home would fell like I was really doing something.

L473ncy
March 20th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Gamers especially want the shiny new stuff so they can enjoy the latest and greatest games at full detail (like me) really its just like boy racers and their cars except without the noise.

Others just do it because they can.

I dunno.... I know some gamers (although they are a minority) who just run the game, they don't care about all settings at extra high, or have a need for it. Sure it would be nice but fact is that they can still pwn as hard on lower settings.

As for me I'm a budget kind of guy, I tend to keep my computers for at least 5 years (or at least I've done that for my last 2 builds).

I'm still able to run most app's and everything relatively well and I can't complain.

Currently I'm running a:

Pentium D 930
2 GB RAM
7600 GS
320 GB HDD

I hope to upgrade in the near future (read: in about 2 years),

Iam138
March 20th, 2008, 04:35 AM
It is usually to compensate for a lack of something.
This something also is often the subject of spam mail.

Hopefully it wasn't too hard to figure out I am refering to.

You bet it is! It's too compensate for the crap eMachines I bought 5 years back. Since then I have been compensating by building my own rigs. I wouldn't touch a commercial "ready out of the box" PC if you paid me, especially after having worked on Dells/Compaq/Gateways etc for 2 years.... Too often they are ready for giving you headaches and that's about it. The quality of the components in some of those machines makes me shudder in horror.

DMK62
March 20th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I think it has a lot to do with marketing and with the sales staff in most of the big box stores. People will often go with the highest numbers available even though they have no concept of what a gigahertz is let alone a cpu. Bigger is better.

I am currently running Ubuntu on a 5 + year old computer and it does pretty much everything that I need it to do.

I did get to work on a high end Sun server cluster that had some pretty impressive numbers ( 4 x 256 cpu's, gigs upon gigs of ram, and several hundred terabytes of storage ) but we really needed it lol.

Dale