PDA

View Full Version : new users are so smart

wvmac
March 19th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Today while in class I noticed a student using linux on their laptop. So after class I went up to him and asked him what distro he was using. He said ubuntu and he told me that he was new to linux and that he had only been using linux since January. Windows had given him too much trouble. I told him I was using Ubuntu and Debian (short e sound). He then interrupted me saying that it is pronounced Deebian (long e). I'm not one for confrontation so I didn't say anything. I did however end my conversation pretty quickly after that. I am no pro, but I have used linux since early 2003, and he stated he was new to linux and yet he already "knows" everything. I was going to offer help to him, but he apparently doesn't need help. At least that is the impression I get from him. Oh well. So much for the friendly "newbies".

fatality_uk
March 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Ahh lighten up man ;)

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

chucky chuckaluck
March 19th, 2008, 06:06 PM
'Deb' being short for 'Deeeeeborah', no doubt.

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I noticed a lot of people get hung up on how to say things. This Linux world is on the internet where everything is written, so things are not set in stone.

There are official ways to say everything, but that doesn't mean anything.

Obviously this person is worried about how to say things. Tell him that it is a common difference, and that he shouldn't be so concerned.

Cases to consider:

* Linux
* MySQL
* SQL (Its official pronounciation is different from MySQL's official pronounciation)
* Xubuntu

chucky chuckaluck
March 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I noticed a lot of people get hung up on how to say things. This Linux world is on the internet where everything is written, so things are not set in stone.

from - http://www.debian.org/intro/about

"Since many people have asked, Debian is pronounced /ˈde.bi.ən/. It comes from the names of the creator of Debian, Ian Murdock, and his wife, Debra."

that seems pretty specific, although, ever since i read that a while back, i've caught myself calling it 'deebian' in my head (and i just realized i mispelled her name in a previous post).

i heard a recording of torvalds pronouncing 'linux' as LEE-noocks, so i guess the proper americanization should come from however an american would pronounce the name 'linus'.

i guess it doesn't matter. how much simpler life would be if everything were just called 'bob'.

schauerlich
March 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Me and a friend got in an argument about how to pronounce Linux. Even after playing the audio clip of Linus Torvalds pronouncing Linux as "Lih-nucks," they still insisted it was "Lee-nucks."

wvmac
March 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I don't really care who pronounces what right. I've heard famous programmers pronounce debian both ways. I am just disappointed because I was hoping to have met some one that I could discuss linux and ubuntu with in person. But the vibe given off is that he doesn't want to talk about it. I would have loved to have some one to talk to and help me with the new problems that I was facing as a new linux user. The Ubuntu forums would have been great as well.

I guess I could try to talk to him again. Any ideas on how to approach him, what type of topics could I use?

@fatality_uk You're right. I should lighten up. Thanks.

schauerlich
March 19th, 2008, 06:41 PM
my head (and i just realized i mispelled her name in a previous post).

i heard a recording of torvalds pronouncing 'linux' as LEE-noocks, so i guess the proper americanization should come from however an american would pronounce the name 'linus'.

Really? I heard it as "Lee-noos Tor-valtz" and "Lih-noocks." But the only reason the u is long is because he's Finnish, so Americanizing it makes it "ucks."

chucky chuckaluck
March 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Really? I heard it as "Lee-noos Tor-valtz" and "Lih-noocks." But the only reason the u is long is because he's Finnish, so Americanizing it makes it "ucks."

oops! looks like you're right (unless he changes his mind every time someone asks him) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM

"Since many people have asked, Debian is pronounced /ˈde.bi.ən/. It comes from the names of the creator of Debian, Ian Murdock, and his wife, Debra."

that seems pretty specific, although, ever since i read that a while back, i've caught myself calling it 'deebian' in my head (and i just realized i mispelled her name in a previous post).

i guess it doesn't matter. how much simpler life would be if everything were just called 'bob'.

Yes, I know it has a official version, like everything else :)

Linux and Linus are pronounced weirdly because of the similarity and the fact it is pronounced different in different countries Linux himself says it very differently from the way an American would say the same name.

Superkoop
March 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Well the open source world does have a lot of confusing pronunciations. Like LaRoza said, it's all an internet thing where it's all typed, so it's not really that big of deal.
It's taken me a long time to learn how to pronouce all the various words, and I still don't know for sure how to say all of them. And since we live all over the world, we all say things differently with accents and everything.

Tomato - tomato

chucky chuckaluck
March 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM
let's call the calling off, off.

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Well the open source world does have a lot of confusing pronunciations. Like LaRoza said, it's all an internet thing where it's all typed, so it's not really that big of deal.
It's taken me a long time to learn how to pronouce all the various words, and I still don't know for sure how to say all of them. And since we live all over the world, we all say things differently with accents and everything.

Tomato - tomato

When in doubt, use espeak :)

diffuze
March 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I pronounce Linux as Linus does in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY2E-IzmNCQ

Source: http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

I'm swedish.

schauerlich
March 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
oops! looks like you're right (unless he changes his mind every time someone asks him) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0

I heard a different recording, which is rather old. He's speaking english with a heavy accent.

http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

days_of_ruin
March 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I pronounce linux lin uhx
and ubuntu uh bun two

chucky chuckaluck
March 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I heard a different recording, which is rather old. He's speaking english with a heavy accent.

http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

well, to hell with it, then. i'm just going to go ahead and call it 'bob'.

one linux user, to another linux user: "which distro of bob are you using, these days?"

other linux user: "bob."

p_quarles
March 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM

one linux user, to another linux user: "which distro of bob are you using, these days?"

They almost did call it that, in fact, but decided not to infringe on Microsoft's trademarks (http://www.telecommander.com/pics/links/application software/microsoft/Microsoft_Bob_1_0/Microsoft_Bob_1_0.htm).

CaptainCabinet
March 19th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Today while in class I noticed a student using linux on their laptop. So after class I went up to him and asked him what distro he was using. He said ubuntu and he told me that he was new to linux and that he had only been using linux since January. Windows had given him too much trouble. I told him I was using Ubuntu and Debian (short e sound). He then interrupted me saying that it is pronounced Deebian (long e). I'm not one for confrontation so I didn't say anything. I did however end my conversation pretty quickly after that. I am no pro, but I have used linux since early 2003, and he stated he was new to linux and yet he already "knows" everything. I was going to offer help to him, but he apparently doesn't need help. At least that is the impression I get from him. Oh well. So much for the friendly "newbies".

So you didn't get to know him just because you both disagreed about how to pronounce a word?

p_quarles
March 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
So you didn't get to know him just because you both disagreed about how to pronounce a word?
I took it that he left the conversation because the other person got uppity about something they didn't know very much about. I can see where that would be off-putting, but it is true that new Linux users frequently think they know more than they do. Most of us grow out of it eventually.

koenn
March 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM

There are official ways to say everything, but that doesn't mean anything.

Obviously this person is worried about how to say things. Tell him that it is a common difference, and that he shouldn't be so concerned.

Cases to consider:

* Linux
* MySQL
* SQL (Its official pronounciation is different from MySQL's official pronounciation)
* Xubuntu

So, what is the official pronounciation of SQL ?

fatality_uk
SQL = seekwell

MickS

Is that English Bob as in knob or American style Bob as in barb:confused:

Mick

chucky chuckaluck
March 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Is that English Bob as in knob or American style Bob as in barb:confused:

Mick

it's 'bob' as in massachusetts bob.

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
So, what is the official pronounciation of SQL ?

ɛskjuːˈɛl

bruce89
March 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
it's 'bob' as in massachusetts bob.

I always thought it was Dunodesian "boab", as in "Fat Bob" in Oor Wullie.

chucky chuckaluck
March 19th, 2008, 08:12 PM
ooh! 'fat bob' would be an awesome name for something.

koenn
March 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM
SQL = seekwell

"SEQUEL", after the original name by IBM.

Is that actually considered the "official" pronounciation of SQL ?!

Martje_001
March 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I've always pronounced it as 'soul' -.-.

popch
March 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM

When I took the course given by IBM (when SQL was still something which had to establish itself) they pronounced it as 'Sequel'. They never said what it was the sequel of, though.

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM

No, and it isn't the official way to say it. I gave the official way, and the pronounciation of most terms is on Wikipedia.

popch
March 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM
No, and it isn't the official way to say it. I gave the official way, and the pronounciation of most terms is on Wikipedia.

new users are so smart

Although you're quite right. IBM now also appears to insist on calling it ess-queue-ell. How I wish they would make up their collective little minds for once. Changes, changes, every few decades.

CaptainCabinet
March 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I took it that he left the conversation because the other person got uppity about something they didn't know very much about. I can see where that would be off-putting, but it is true that new Linux users frequently think they know more than they do. Most of us grow out of it eventually.

I'm a relatively new Linux user and I'm not afraid to say I know hardly anything about it. I know just enough to get buy and thankfully Ubuntu is easy enough to use to not know anything about Linux. :)

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Usually, I change the way I say it to match the other person to facilitate communication if there is no hard rule.

One thing that came up, in SQL (and other languages) there is a datatype called "CHAR". This can be pronounced different ways: TCHAR (charcoal), "SHAR" (Sherry), or "KAR" (Character).

I say TCHAR (Charcoal), but it stands for "Character", but rarely rarely do I hear it said that way.

koenn
March 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM
sorry, missed a few posts back there

koenn
March 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
When I took the course given by IBM (when SQL was still something which had to establish itself) they pronounced it as 'Sequel'. They never said what it was the sequel of, though.
SEQUEL was the sequel of QUEL, apparently. :)
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QUEL_query_languages )

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
sorry, missed a few posts back there

its alright. It really doesn't matter.

"SQL"

See? That is how we normally see it.

ubuntu-freak
March 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
I know how I should pronounce "Ubuntu" ("oo-boon-too") but I just prefer the blunt and Brit-like "you-bun-too" way of pronouncing it. I mean, in theory "France" should be pronounced "ffrrransay" and real throaty.

Nathan

macogw
March 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Linus said that Lih-nuks is OK for English-speakers as it's a lot closer to Lee-nooks than Lie-nuks is...he said the vowel in the first syllable was more similar.

I say:
Lee-noos
Lih-nuks
Ew-boon-two
Deb-Ian (as in the two names, because, duh)