PDA

View Full Version : This Time, I Want To Help YOU With Firefox!

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I've gotten a lot of help and advice over the last couple of weeks here on the forum, so now, I'd like to help all of you who use Firefox to view this forum with.

To some, this may be old news, but to others, I assure you this will change your browsing experience on this forum!! You have my word on that, in fact, give it about 30 minutes of your time, and see if what I tell you isn't the truth!!

There is an extension for Firefox called Cooliris Previews that simply ROCKS! Basically, this extension lets you hover your mouse pointer over any link, like the title of any post, and you get a preview window that pops up that you can view the post with. What a GREAT time saver! And this thing does MUCH MUCH more than that, you'll see for yourself.

Now, this is in no way to be considered me spamming anyone! I do not work for the company, have no associations with the company at all. I just wanted to give back to the community here, and thought this would be a great way to do it.

So, why not give it a try, and post back here and either flame me to death, or let me know how much you like it, eh?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2207

Be prepared to alter your forum browsing experience!

FwF

kindofabuzz
March 19th, 2008, 10:55 AM
http://premium1.uploadit.org/chewpilla/emocions/image11.gif

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I don't think you quite gave it 30 minutes of your time, but that's cool. Your loss.

christianxxx
March 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
It's probably a nice product, but this snakeoil sales text just don't do it for me. Besides, with tab-browsing, I'm doing fine as it is.

FrancesL
March 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=FreewareFan;4544378

Be prepared to alter your forum browsing experience!

FwF[/QUOTE]

I have installed it and given it a quick run..I like it and thanks for taking the time to tell about it. Likely I havent taken enough time as yet, but I will, what I see now is great. :)

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM
It's probably a nice product, but this snakeoil sales text just don't do it for me. Besides, with tab-browsing, I'm doing fine as it is.

Didn't mean to come off as a snakeoil saleman, it's just that I'm really jazzed about this extension! I have used tabbed browsing too for the last couple of years, but this takes the experience to a new level...

Anyway, if you don't wish to even try it, that's your choice. I'm only doing my best to give back to the community.

FwF

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I have installed it and given it a quick run..I like it and thanks for taking the time to tell about it. Likely I havent taken enough time as yet, but I will, what I see now is great. :)

Thank YOU for the thanks!! The more you use it, the more uses you will find for it, believe me. Anyways, thanks for the positive feedback, maybe now others won't be so reluctant to even give it a chance....

FwF

quinnten83
March 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I dunno,
I find this quite useful.
The title sounded incredibly hollywood disasterday dramatic though...
I was scared!!

hyper_ch
March 19th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I was scared!!
Nevertheless you were lured into the topic and reading it, despite getting scared... so his marketing tactics did work ^^

I'll test that out at home tonight ;)

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I don't understand why people are cynical... Marketing tactic?? I'm not asking for money or anything... I'm simply trying to give back to the community. Why do pelple look at this post as if I'm trying to sell something? The extension is FREE. My reccomendation is FREE. Nothing to be gained by me personally, except to know that maybe, just maybe, I've helped a few people here improve their browsing experience...

matthew
March 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Hey, that's pretty cool!

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I dunno,
I find this quite useful.
I was scared!!

I'm glad you gave it an opportunity! Like I said, it will totally change the way you navigate this forum, not to mention other sites..

About the title, I don't see where I went wrong... I said exactly what I meant. I want to help people with their Firefox experience, pure and simple..

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Hey, that's pretty cool!

Isn't it, though?? See now why I put myself 'out there' to let people know about this extension?

And after you've had time to really get familiar with all the options and capabilities, it just gets better...

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Something that I haven't found documented yet, but I just found out is that when you are done with the window, you don't have to click the close button, just move your mouse pointer off the window, and it closes automatically.

hyper_ch
March 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I don't understand why people are cynical... Marketing tactic?? I'm not asking for money or anything... I'm simply trying to give back to the community. Why do pelple look at this post as if I'm trying to sell something? The extension is FREE. My reccomendation is FREE. Nothing to be gained by me personally, except to know that maybe, just maybe, I've helped a few people here improve their browsing experience...

Marketing tactics doesn't necessarily involve things not being free (as in beer and speech)... and the post wasn't meant cynical at all...

Xzallion
March 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Those that are worried about this being a 'marketing tactic' are those that have run into Guerilla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerilla_marketing) / Viral (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing) marketing techniques. Even though you have no obvious link to the extension, you theoretically could be payed by the developers to promote it through these means. Every forum has at least a few that make accounts, post upwards to a hundred times a day for weeks to build up an 'identity' and then slide in references to the product they are promoting. It happens more then you would think, but usually for other things i.e. games, computer hardware etc.

The way you word your post makes you seem like a prime example, and personally I'm 'not buying'.

vishzilla
March 19th, 2008, 12:38 PM
There is another extension by the Cooliris team called PicLens (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5579) Unfortunately its not available for Linux :(

SkyPioneer
March 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Thank you brother, I already knew about this extension, but It is still nice of you to post for those who don't already know. Good work and don't sweat the idiots.

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Thank you brother, I already knew about this extension, but It is still nice of you to post for those who don't already know. Good work and don't sweat the idiots.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that some are just too suspicious for their own good. But, no problem with me, I have the extension, and so do you. Those who don't' want it, well, what can I say... free choice is a two edged sword..

I mean, when an Administrator of this site even agrees that it's a great extension, and then some still continue to think there's some catch... well, what can you say to that, eh? :(

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
There is another extension by the Cooliris team called PicLens (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5579) Unfortunately its not available for Linux :(

That one looks really good too, but unfortunately it requires Direct X. Bummer for us Ubuntu users, or linux users in general...

rune0077
March 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
PicLens was really cool when I ran Windows, and it should now come with 3d effects to. I almost installed Windows again just to give it a try. I've been using CoolIris for a long time now, and mostly it is great, except that it insists on popping up previews of images just by hovering over them (instead of only doing it when hovering over the small icon as it does with links) - it makes browsing on google's image-pages a pain).

SupaSonic
March 19th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Good idea, but not for me. I'm used to tabs.

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
PicLens was really cool when I ran Windows, and it should now come with 3d effects to. I almost installed Windows again just to give it a try. I've been using CoolIris for a long time now, and mostly it is great, except that it insists on popping up previews of images just by hovering over them (instead of only doing it when hovering over the small icon as it does with links) - it makes browsing on google's image-pages a pain).

You know, you can turn it off for any site you want, just by unchecking the box with the blue checkmark in it, at the bottom of the browser window...

rune0077
March 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM
You know, you can turn it off for any site you want, just by unchecking the box with the blue checkmark in it, at the bottom of the browser window...

Hey, thanks for the tip.

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 01:43 PM
You bet! And speaking of the image sites, have you ever tried the slideshow feature when on them? It's a cool way to view the photos, quick and easy... :-)

quanumphaze
March 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I'm sad, It doesn't work with FF 3b3

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Are you serious?? Well, if that's the case, I'm not switching to version 3 until they get support for it!

quanumphaze
March 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Are you serious?? Well, if that's the case, I'm not switching to version 3 until they get support for it!

It lists that it works in 3a1
If you really want FF3 you can make Firefox ignore version support, but if it breaks then you have to edit config files to disable the addon.

aaaantoine
March 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
This is pretty cool. As long as it's not too bad on memory and doesn't get too annoying, I might have a #3 for my list of top five Firefox extensions.

Thanks!

herbster
March 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Goodness gracious, some of you are quite strange. It's an add-on for Firefox, you click install and see if it's any good.

lol@ the resistance some of you think you're putting up to "marketing tactics" or whatever. Again, it's a bloody add-on for Firefox. Thanks though, many posts here gave me a good laugh.

And the extension isn't too shabby, gracias!

lespaul_rentals
March 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Opera >= Firefox

</blatant troll attempt>

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM
This is pretty cool. As long as it's not too bad on memory and doesn't get too annoying, I might have a #3 for my list of top five Firefox extensions.

Thanks!

You're welcome! I haven't seen a resource hit at all using it, nor a lag in system response, so it's a keeper for me..

Out of curiosity, what would be #'s 1 and 2 on your list??

FwF

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Goodness gracious, some of you are quite strange. It's an add-on for Firefox, you click install and see if it's any good.

lol@ the resistance some of you think you're putting up to "marketing tactics" or whatever. Again, it's a bloody add-on for Firefox. Thanks though, many posts here gave me a good laugh.

And the extension isn't too shabby, gracias!

Glad I'm not the only one who found some of the earlier comments a bit on the 'conspiracy' side of things.... There are just some people who see an ulterior motive behind every act of kindness.... But I have a hunch that even some of those people have now given the extension a chance, after reading some of the responses... And thing is, even if they find they like it, there's no way they are going to say so now, not after taking their earlier stand...

But anyways, glad you found it to be of use! It has fast become my favorite of all of them.. Well, maybe with the exception of Speed Dial.

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hey, thanks for the tip. I was going to try it, but I have Swiftweasel 3 beta 3, and it isn't compatible yet.

For everyone complaining about his Hollywood sales tactics, just take a look at every thread and post boasting about how Linux is so much better than Windows. But Hollywood sales tactics are ok when it's about Linux being better than Windows, aren't they? He's just excited about a cool find, people.

billgoldberg
March 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I installed the add-on a few months ago, and I didn't like it.

I open links in new tabs anyway so it isn't of any use to me.

I found the thing actually annoying.

aaaantoine
March 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
You're welcome! I haven't seen a resource hit at all using it, nor a lag in system response, so it's a keeper for me..

Out of curiosity, what would be #'s 1 and 2 on your list??

FwF

NoScript and Firebug, respectively.

FreewareFan
March 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
NoScript and Firebug, respectively.

Thanks! I installed NoScript, but passed on Firebug. I don't know much about html and css, so for me, firebug wouldn't be of much use..

init1
March 20th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I tried it once, wasn't too impressed.

Washer
March 20th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I've dl'ed it to try out later. I have some awesome tab management skills so it probably wont' work out, but it's worth a try.