PDA

View Full Version : What is your best Linux experience?

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I honestly, would like to hear what your best Linux experience is.

Jim!
March 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Well when I found out that you could get something even better than the expensive windows only FPS Creator........for free! I was pretty happy. :)

cj2003
March 19th, 2008, 10:30 AM
The look at my 'I-thought-I-was-a-cool-young-geek' nephew's face, when I told him that I dualboot XP/Linux(Ubuntu)!

ShodanjoDM
March 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
It happens just now.

Backing up my whole home folder with just two commands.

cd /media/disk/
cp -r ~/ .

myusername
March 19th, 2008, 10:45 AM
when i got my wireless card working so i could switch to ubuntu 90% of the time (darn itunes!)

Arkenzor
March 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM
When I reinstalled my Arch Linux yesterday and completely restored my settings/apps/etc with 11 commands and 3 manual text edits.

anaconda
March 19th, 2008, 12:09 PM
It happens just now.
Backing up my whole home folder with just two commands.

cd /media/disk/
cp -r ~/ .

hmm.. isn't that the same than (with only one command):
cp -r ~/ /media/disk/

My best experience was probably with DamnSmallLinux, when I (finally) learned to use linux properly..

Trail
March 19th, 2008, 01:40 PM
When I logged to Windows(R)(C)(TM) about 2-3 weeks ago to install some Motorola tool things (so that I could flash my LINUX cellphone, stupid Motorola ffs...) (didn't work on VMware). It took about 3 full minutes to load.

Barrucadu
March 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
When I managed to make a low-memory system based on ubuntu server that uses less than 220MB of RAM, yet has everything I need and want.

rudihawk
March 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Every second of it... :P

When i was able to dump windows...

Wobedraggled
March 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
When I first started running it, I had made the jump from the Amiga to Windows, and felt so closed in. Linux opened the doors back up.

munkyeetr
March 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
When someone a little greener than myself has a question and a little light goes on in my head, "Hey, I know how to do that!" and I can pass on some help to another. Generally when I feel like I'm starting to "get it" - The Linux Way.

...of course then a task arises that has me pulling my hair out, but that's lovable too!

bigbrovar
March 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
My Best experience in LInux was that day on july 5th 2007 when finally my computer can on to the welcoming sound of Ubuntu Feisty Fawn ( my first ever linux experience) .. it was late at night and i can still remember the relief and the excitments .. the Feisty splash screen welcoming me to a new .. open .. secured .. free desktop .. to a new experience in computing .. that for me is my first and most exciting mo in linux :lolflag:

BigSilly
March 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
My Best experience in LInux was that day on july 5th 2007 when finally my computer can on to the welcoming sound of Ubuntu Feisty Fawn ( my first ever linux experience) .. it was late at night and i can still remember the relief and the excitments .. the Feisty splash screen welcoming me to a new .. open .. secured .. free desktop .. to a new experience in computing .. that for me is my first and most exciting mo in linux :lolflag:

Hehe! It was Fiesty Fawn that was the "Big One" for me too. It was the time I realised that I could use Linux full time instead of XP, and also when I realised that I preferred to use it. I wiped XP with it and haven't looked back since. That was my best moment. Wiping XP with Fiesty.

NightwishFan
March 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
When my 64-bit live cd came in the mail, It came with STICKERS! Nothing is better than ripping off the round windows logo and slapping an Ubuntu one in its place. I am going to order like a case full of them and put them everywhere. :)

keeler1
March 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I recently had booted into an incorrect partition of my windows drive, which ran some dell system diagnostics program. This ended up erasing my linux partitions on my external hard drive. My best experience comes from reinstalling Ubuntu, setting up xgl/compiz and all my other settings in under an hour. When I installed XP on my desktop about a year ago it took a couple hours if not more to get everything set up right.

Antman
March 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM

My best Linux experience was two fold.

1. When I finally felt comfortable using the CLI instead of the GUI.

2. When I was able to do virtually everything I needed to do in Linux and finally remove Windows.... YEAH....:guitar:

mebu99
March 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM
After a M$-******* machine kept blue screening, I was able to boot to Ubuntu off a USB memory stick and move ALL the data (without error) to another drive. Live CD is a wonderful thing!!!

O3.
March 19th, 2008, 03:27 PM
when i deleted all winows xp c drive files(sd1) from here by select all>> shift dell>> enter , this morning :)

O3.
March 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
yes, after 2 long years, no more windows xp for me :)

fatality_uk
March 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Mine was from 2 years ago in Zermat and involved a chalet rep named Zoe, my digital camera, my laptop, a few bottles of wine, some furry snow boots and if I went any further, I am sure I would get a warning from the mods :D

RyanthePenguin
March 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
My favorite moment was when I got my laptop running at 100% with Ubuntu. I set it up as a dual boot with Windows (the laptop belongs to my school and I need Windows for certain programs). The moment I finished the install and got Gutsy running with everything, and I mean everything I wanted on this laptop, I was so happy. I think I have broken the install three times now, but I enjoyed every moment of it. I love the sense of accomplishment that comes with an OS made for tinkering. I love that I can do whatever I want with Linux with very little hassle or issues. While I still need Windows for the games I cannot get running under Wine, I certainly prefer Ubuntu. Now I just have to get my desktop running as well as this laptop.

tbrminsanity
March 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I was trying to fix my father's laptop (an OLD Dell) and I couldn't get anything working on any OS I threw on it. Windows would work but no WiFi, Bluetooth, modem, etc... I then told my dad I would try someting different but I would make it look like windows for him (he is use to what he is use to). I made a liveUSB distro of Ubuntu 7.04 and vola everyting worked (even the proriatry tel modem). I did some minor GUI modifications and gave it to my father. He has been using it ever since with no problems.

herbster
March 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Man that's an interesting question Rav. I have had so many of them and continue to so it's tough. Other than installing Arch, I'd say it's when I reached the point where I kind of "figured out" how to customize every aspect of the look of linux. It is so much fun to be in full control of your system's appearance, and I mean full-- even choosing exactly how your windows and menus and all that are usable. It's a blast!

liquidfunk
March 19th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I have three:

The time my friend got so many viruses that when I suggested re-installing Windows he said he wanted Ubuntu. Shock horror!

On the new desktop, Vista preinstalled, 6 restarts to get my wireless card, WoW and printer to work. Ubuntu runs off the disc and everything works!

Also WoW runs faster on Ubuntu than on Vista!

Madness :guitar:

ShodanjoDM
March 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
hmm.. isn't that the same than (with only one command):
cp -r ~/ /media/disk/

My best experience was probably with DamnSmallLinux, when I (finally) learned to use linux properly..

Now it gets even better. Thanks :lolflag:

Zlatan
March 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM

... in 2004, when I was using XP, NOD32, Lavasof Adaware and Opera, nevetherless I've got virus on my PC while checking my email:) After that I gave Warty Warthdog a try and finished my dissertational work with Ubuntu. And proudly wrote in it: made by using linux and Open Office. Lithuania, 2005:) That is not to see often even in 2008:)

roaldz
March 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Mine has yet to come. I´m doing a Stage-Audio-Visual study. My electronics teacher (mac fanboi) asked me if I want to set up a complete Linux multimedia workstation for the school. He aims at Cinelerra/GIMP when he saw me making a school project movie in Cinelerra. And offcourse: ardour+jack+jamin+the rest.
Now they use much too expensive ProTools and Cubase software. If this works, I´m goin to save the school a lot of money, and more important: show them FLOSS is just as good as mac+windows all together!
Man, I can´t wait!

Roald

Kevbert
March 19th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Finding a software/hardware problem and being able to find somewhere where I can get quick responses (i.e. the Ubuntu forums) unlike MS where help is more limited.

Zlatan
March 19th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Mine has yet to come. I´m doing a Stage-Audio-Visual study. My electronics teacher (mac fanboi) asked me if I want to set up a complete Linux multimedia workstation for the school. He aims at Cinelerra/GIMP when he saw me making a school project movie in Cinelerra. And offcourse: ardour+jack+jamin+the rest.
Now they use much too expensive ProTools and Cubase software. If this works, I´m goin to save the school a lot of money, and more important: show them FLOSS is just as good as mac+windows all together!
Man, I can´t wait!

Roald

nice! good luck for you there:)

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Great experiences overall, very inspirational.

Bufke
March 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Going to a local non profit to help them with IT support. They had about 12 old computers all of which didn't boot (no licenses included). After taking many apart, swapping parts, and installing Ubuntu I had a small Linux lab for people to use, that cost absolutely nothing but my volunteered time. Thanks to Linux's security and fairly easy updating, the computers should (hopefully) run until the hardware breaks so the owner won't need to worry about them. Forget trying to do a project like that in Windows or Mac.

dacorr
March 19th, 2008, 07:49 PM
mine would be compiling my kernel (Fedora) and it actually worked!

blithen
March 19th, 2008, 11:40 PM

My best linux experience ever?
Hmm...that's a tough one.
Probably everytime I boot up my computer and see the Ubuntu logo.

Tux Aubrey
March 20th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Two come to mind (but none equal the story about the ski bunny and the chalet)

1. The day I booted into Windows XP after about 3 months of using Ubuntu exclusively. I got an "updates" notification and a warning that my virus signatures were out of date. I thought about it for 2 seconds and installed another Linux distro on the XP partition. I've never regreted it.

2. A couple of weeks later my Mother-in-law arrived with her digital camera and her scanner saying she could them to work properly on her (Windows) machine). I said I doubted I could do anything for her as I'd recently dumped windows. Both worked fine - hot plugged into my Ubuntu box. The best bit was that I still couldn't help her get them working on her own machine and she now doesn't ask me for IT help anymore!

RAV TUX
March 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Two come to mind (but none equal the story about the ski bunny and the chalet)

1. The day I booted into Windows XP after about 3 months of using Ubuntu exclusively. I got an "updates" notification and a warning that my virus signatures were out of date. I thought about it for 2 seconds and installed another Linux distro on the XP partition. I've never regreted it.

2. A couple of weeks later my Mother-in-law arrived with her digital camera and her scanner saying she could them to work properly on her (Windows) machine). I said I doubted I could do anything for her as I'd recently dumped windows. Both worked fine - hot plugged into my Ubuntu box. The best bit was that I still couldn't help her get them working on her own machine and she now doesn't ask me for IT help anymore!

My best Linux experience was meeting and making lasting friendships with other Linux users.

Working towards a common cause of good to help other people out in their quest and having fun at the same time.

I am always Thankful that my bunny chewed through the mouse cord that was on my old windows 98se computer, and I couldn't get a new mouse to work. When my first Ubuntu ship it CD's came in I have been hooked ever since.

It's been one strange trip, but Linux always has a place in my heart. Great fun!

tuebinger
March 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Being able to copy a Sony videodisc video_ts file for a frustrated friend (who had tried in vain to copy it with her computer) using K3B. Worked like a charm! My friend is very grateful (and very amazed) at my technological know-how!! Ha-Ha... she has no idea what a newbie I still am!

NightwishFan
March 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
Linux is great. :)

kga5
March 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
My best experience would be when i found out Linux doesent need any AV software.

Another great experience is when i for the first time used compiz.

gn2
March 22nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Best Linux experience I've had was when my 14 year old son came to me and asked if I would install Linux on his laptop for him.

Jshaw
March 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I get a really good feeling when you fix up your computer and all of a sudden everything works. Just the way you want it to.

Barrucadu
March 22nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
When I shot down someones argument that Windows is better for people without technical expertise simply by quoting the testimonials board here.

RaZoR1394
March 22nd, 2008, 11:54 PM
When I tried hardy for the first time on our laptops with bcm43xx and b43 worked perfectly.

cardinals_fan
March 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
The first time I used Xfce.