PDA

View Full Version : what do you do?

barbedsaber
March 19th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I booted vista yesterday (shudder) and within the first minute, something crashed, so I opened task manager, and that didn't seem to be doing anything, so I looked at the bar at the top of it, and it said "Windows task manager (not responding)" And I asked myself, What do you do. :confused:

Barrucadu
March 19th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I would have started laughing at the irony, myself.

xyphur
March 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM
...all Vista instability jokes aside (there are plenty that would apply here), boot a livecd and do a memtest. I suspect faulty hardware. Perhaps your power supply voltages are a bit on the low side? Check the BIOS and keep an eye on the voltages reported there to see how well-regulated they are... Vcore, 3.3v and 5v are the most important ones and would affect system stability the most.

That said, and hardware issues being ruled out if you don't come up with anything worth noting, I'd say try doing whatever it was you were doing before to see if it happens again. Sometimes things just go haywire for no reason and a simple reboot is all it takes.

christianxxx
March 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Sounds like you didn't have the resources to run vista. ;-) Are you sure you have a quad-core state-of-the-art supercomputer with unlimited resources?

What to do depends on why you booted the computer in the first place. If you did it because you just want to listen to the buzzing of the fans, then you can just leave it to see if it comes around in a few hours. If you actually wanted to use it, you might want to reconsider and reboot to linux.

Vista is a lot like those Dementors from Harry Potter. It's really cool to look at, but you don't want to come to close because it'll suck the life out of you. :)

Jim!
March 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Hahahahaha I never realized it before but that actually happened to me on several occasions when I was a Windows user (man that seems like long ago but was only about a month or two ago...) When things like that happened I would become extremely frustrated especially when I was talking to someone on msn or really getting into a game but I never even thought about switching to another operating system infact I'm pretty sure I didnt have a clue as to what linux was. My solution: Turn the computer off and start over:(

Switching to Ubuntu is/has been one of the best decisions I ever made.:)

barbedsaber
March 19th, 2008, 09:13 AM
sorry if I was misleading, I don't actually want help, I am just pointing out the crappyness of vista, and the irony of the situation.

Jim!
March 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Sounds like you didn't have the resources to run vista. ;-) Are you sure you have a quad-core state-of-the-art supercomputer with unlimited resources?

What to do depends on why you booted the computer in the first place. If you did it because you just want to listen to the buzzing of the fans, then you can just leave it to see if it comes around in a few hours. If you actually wanted to use it, you might want to reconsider and reboot to linux.

Vista is a lot like those Dementors from Harry Potter. It's really cool to look at, but you don't want to come to close because it'll suck the life out of you. :)

Lol, didn't see this till after I posted, well put.:)

beercz
March 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Swear (I seem to do a lot of that with Windows)

billgoldberg
March 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I booted vista yesterday (shudder) and within the first minute, something crashed, so I opened task manager, and that didn't seem to be doing anything, so I looked at the bar at the top of it, and it said "Windows task manager (not responding)" And I asked myself, What do you do. :confused:

Rebooting, what else?

:)