PDA

View Full Version : How many beers should I drink before recompiling my kernel?

Junglizer
March 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM
The title says it all. (I'm at one right now, and I have the day off tomorrow.)

stalker145
March 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
The title says it all. (I'm at one right now, and I have the day off tomorrow.)

It's your kernel, there are many like it, but that one is yours.

I'm the lone instigator that voted whiskey so far. There's nothing quite as fun as trying to read through one eye as you squint the other trying to focus and make sure you're typing all the correct commands. If your kernel compiles properly after a few snootfulls of Jack, you know you've made it to the upper echelons of technical ability ;)

kuja
March 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Might want to save your beers for when you're recompiling the kernel. It'll take as long as you want it to to set up, and then probably a half hour or so to compile, you're going to need something to do.

rolnics
March 19th, 2008, 12:09 PM
sober is sooo boring . . . . . whisky all the way and cos i'm in one of those moods!!! Grrrrr

Lord Illidan
March 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
None. There's a lot of detail, and believe me, you don't want to miss anything out, or you get v. angry soon.

If anything, drink them while compiling, as some one else said.

luvit
March 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Whiskey FTW...

I just just back into Linux thanks to the simplicity of Ubuntu. when tinkering with Linux years ago I would compile my kernels. my job required much attention, but I'm excited to be back.

Since I've returned I'm still an intermediate user who maximizes features on my peripherals and applications, but I'm not an extremist. Would I feel the difference of compiling a kernel considering I'm currently a casual user?

Will it always be one of those things that I always wonder if I can do better and redo several times?
I'm not against it... I just don't want to tweak the thing over and over like MSDOS v6 memmaker... I could outperform memmaker with hand edits. (I know this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison) ;)

Junglizer
March 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Whiskey FTW...

I just just back into Linux thanks to the simplicity of Ubuntu. when tinkering with Linux years ago I would compile my kernels. my job required much attention, but I'm excited to be back.

Since I've returned I'm still an intermediate user who maximizes features on my peripherals and applications, but I'm not an extremist. Would I feel the difference of compiling a kernel considering I'm currently a casual user?

Will it always be one of those things that I always wonder if I can do better and redo several times?
I'm not against it... I just don't want to tweak the thing over and over like MSDOS v6 memmaker... I could outperform memmaker with hand edits. (I know this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison) ;)

I don't think that you would specifically see the benefits of a hand compiled kernel if you are a casual user, you pretty much need to have a reason to do it. I for one, am pretty much OCD when it comes to my *nix. I need to have everything exactly the way I want it. This pretty much shows when you look at how I run stuff. Slackware (currently) or Gentoo. Source distro's, Fluxbox (editing the menus is so easy), I dislike modularized kernels and prefer to build in only what I need faster boot times and no excess.

(Also it was Ezra Brooks Bourbon Whiskey)

The Titan
March 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM
its 11:30 in the morning and i just pulled out the whiskey.. You inspired me to be an alcobuntu user :lol:

justin whitaker
March 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM
its 11:30 in the morning and i just pulled out the whiskey.. You inspired me to be an alcobuntu user :lol:

It's noon somewhere!

:)