PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm addicted to the Ubuntu Forums

steveneddy
March 19th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I believe that I honestly have a problem with staying off of the Ubuntu Forums.

I can't stop checking posts, threads and stoopid games on these forums.

It is starting to effect my family life.

We need to start a forum to address the growing issue of forum addiction.

KiwiNZ
March 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM
We can help with this :p

Where is the ban button ....* evil grin*

init1
March 19th, 2008, 02:23 AM

LOL
I think I've the problem too though

amyst
March 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Me too :)

Ubuntu Forum is one of the few places where I can listen to intelligent conversations, be amused by the enthusiasts' genuine show of passions. admire the diverse nationalities and the intelligence of the countless many ...

The administrators and the mods are people of insights and great sensibility - I enjoy hearing what their posts and what they think :)

p.s. apologize my english - sats were a long time ago

Rocket2DMn
March 19th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I'm not addicted.

NO! I am NOT IN DENIAL!

days_of_ruin
March 19th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I am addicted too.You just have to love a forum that is NOT full of vulgar, swearing angry 4(0)-year-olds

Superkoop
March 19th, 2008, 02:37 AM

Well then, in that case, I am not the least bit addicted.

ShodanjoDM
March 19th, 2008, 02:46 AM
+"Uh, hello.. My name is Joe..."
-(All) "Hello Joe."
+"Yeah, thanks,.. Well, uh, I have this, uh... addiction to the ubuntu forum..."
+"Well, Not exactly addiction, uh.. since I can stop anytime..."
+"Yeah, I can stop anytime..."

RedSquirrel
March 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I believe that I honestly have a problem with staying off of the Ubuntu Forums.

I can't stop checking posts, threads and stoopid games on these forums. ...

Well, at least you're not addicted to the Cafe word game threads like some of us are. ;)

Pethegreat
March 19th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I am addicted to lurking. I used to love to post, but now i find it better just to read.

I was a fourm addict at one point. I acculmated close to 20,000 posts in 3 years on one fourm. Adding up all my posts here, I am around 200-300 now.

I broke my fourm addiction by going cold turkey. I just stopped posting one day.

aktiwers
March 19th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Addicted? No way :D

bred
March 19th, 2008, 03:01 AM
me too dude :)

jose158
March 19th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I am addicted to lurking. I used to love to post, but now i find it better just to read.

I was a fourm addict at one point. I acculmated close to 20,000 posts in 3 years on one fourm. Adding up all my posts here, I am around 200-300 now.

I broke my fourm addiction by going cold turkey. I just stopped posting one day.But it says that you only have 36 beans... hmmmm:-k

And yes I myself am addicted to the Ubuntu Forums, but I can stop whenever I want. *Distant Voice* "No you can't!" Yes I can, now stop bothering me mom! "Did you clean your room like your father said?" MOM! I'm on the Ubuntu Forums!!

Rocket2DMn
March 19th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Beans are not given out on non-support forums. Therefore, you don't get beans for posting here.

jose158
March 19th, 2008, 03:06 AM
That explains so much...

herbster
March 19th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Take your kids to the park foo!

steveneddy
March 19th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I broke my fourm addiction by going cold turkey. I just stopped posting one day.

Are you NUTS!?

I mean..... really? So, how's that working out for you?

*cold turkey, huh?

steveneddy
March 19th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Take your kids to the park foo!

I've heard of Linux foo, party foo, kung foo.

What's park foo?

herbster
March 19th, 2008, 03:27 AM
It's Mr. T's new slogan for the PTA.

ubuntu-freak
March 19th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Nearly all of my posts have been made on a W810i mobile phone using Opera Mini, does that make me an addict? Been using Ubuntu/Debian for just over a year, but didn't post regulary until recently, I just don't have much hard wired internet access right now (long story).

Nathan

FuturePilot
March 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I'm addicted too!

hhhhhx
March 19th, 2008, 05:09 AM
http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=728503 :(

zenwhen
March 19th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Forums can be very addictive. I think they are even more addictive than IRC chat, but I happen to be addicted to both. On forums, conversations are allowed to span greater periods of time and offer many more people an opportunity to respond to each and every idea presented.

I love forums because they bring so many good ideas together regardless of time zone or job situation.

chips24
March 19th, 2008, 05:49 AM
im addicted, it wastes useless time!

sujoy
March 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
and i am glued to the desktop screenshots thread !!! :)

Jim!
March 19th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Hmmm... I never really thought about it but I think I'm addicted too! Iv'e been coming here constantly for more than 10 days in a row! Ahh who cares I'm sure it's just a short-term thing I could stop coming here anytime:)...................................anytim e now......................

quanumphaze
March 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
im addicted, it wastes useless time!

I disagree. Time can be very useful. eg:

You can use it ad a paperweight
Use it to lift your monitor for better viewing angles
Install it on Linux
Install Linux on it
Sell it on ebay
Make a sculpture with it
In Soviet Russia time waits for YOU!!
Travel through it, sitting backwards or forwards is up to you

Back on topic, I like to read more than I post so I guess I'm a 0.5*lurker.
Wouldn't say I'm addicted to Ubuntu Forums though.

steveneddy
March 24th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I found this. (http://www.stuntdubl.com/2005/10/05/12-steps/)

corney91
March 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Did you get withdrawal symptoms when the forums went down, too?:)

steveneddy
March 24th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Did you get withdrawal symptoms when the forums went down, too?:)

You have no idea....

spamzilla
March 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I find my self checking the Hardy Heron Dev forum every few minutes when at home. At work I try to resist the urge, but it gets the better of me at times :lolflag:

MONODA
March 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
so im not alone...

spupy
March 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM
You are really addicted when you have automatic subscription to threads you write in... So you can creep out people by answering them one minute after they asked.

WinKey+E (Starts Thunderbird)...
No new mail in subfolder "Forums"...
WHAT?!?!

At least I stay out of Community Games! :D

BDNiner
March 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I completely agree with the OP, it really helps me pass time at work. Even if i move to another distro, I will still frequent these forums.

chucky chuckaluck
March 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
i was going to say "i'm not addicted. i can quit whenever i want", but, apparently that's not true.

spupy
March 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I completely agree with the OP, it really helps me pass time at work. Even if i move to another distro, I will still frequent these forums.

Well, I don't use Ubuntu anymore. But I still like reading these forums and trying to help people however I can.

steveneddy
April 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I thought Hardy would cure this, but the addiction still persists.

Maybe I'll try more forums.

MemoryDump
April 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Must.. resist.. urge.. to read.. ubuntu forums.. must.. must... oohhh!.. a new post.. must.. read.. now... damn.. I fail.

scouser73
April 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
We all have problems, especially seeing the amount of posts you guys have given to the forum.:lolflag:

notwen
April 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I browse the forums while at work for the most part. I tend to avoid my PCs in general at home except for email, random irc blabber and working on my website. Too many bills to pay, too much TV to watch, too much world to see and too many people bothering me to enjoy the forums at home. Surfing the web at home has too many things that may distract me, so I try to get my fix at work. =p

Wobedraggled
April 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I can quit anytime, I swear....

tc101
April 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Forum and other computer addictions are no joke. It can be a serious problem that eats up all your time. I had to lay down very strict and rigid rules for myself and make myself follow them just as strictly as a recovered alcoholic or ex smoker is strict about never taking the first drink or cigarette.

My rules:

Never touch the computer on Sunday.

Only one day a week, on Thursday, look at anything connected with finances (my particular worst computer addiction).

Set time limits every time I turn on the computer.

notwen
April 30th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Forum and other computer addictions are no joke. It can be a serious problem that eats up all your time. I had to lay down very strict and rigid rules for myself and make myself follow them just as strictly as a recovered alcoholic or ex smoker is strict about never taking the first drink or cigarette.

My rules:

Never touch the computer on Sunday.

Only one day a week, on Thursday, look at anything connected with finances (my particular worst computer addiction).

Set time limits every time I turn on the computer.

That's no fun.