PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one here who severely mistrusts Suse and Novell?

SunnyRabbiera
March 19th, 2008, 01:52 AM
It seems anymore I am hearing how great suse is, how "polished" it is and sofouth.
But Microsofts deal with Novell makes me not want to do anything with Suse.
Its all principal that makes me mistrust both sues and novell.
I dont care if microsoft has a patent deal with novell, the part I care about is Novells recent attitude towards linux.
It seems by some of their stuff they are directing people to microsoft, plus they keep most of the so called "benefits" they got in thier hands to themselves.
I mean the rest of the linux world shares most of its stuff right?
Novell seems to look out for itself, its that selfishness that makes me mistrust them
yes they are a company, and yes they have business practices, but under the GPL they should hold nothing back from the rest of the community.
Now yes canonical has its own proprietary apps, but it doesnt mean they give a lawsuit if someone creates a alternate version of their stuff.
I certainly trust canonical more then novell.
My biggest worries is if Novell finally gives out and becomes the next SCO, and then goes after opensuse and the rest of us like sharks.

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Just because there is a chance, real or not, that things may go bad in the future, current versions of OpenSuSE are very good.

I don't trust any single entity, but I do know that Linux will be free and that there are always alternatives for everything.

NightwishFan
March 19th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I used it for a while but with all the bugs and slow package management I am back to Ubuntu. The corporationy feeling does not help.

cardinals_fan
March 19th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I don't like SUSE because it's a bloated pig - not because of any vague dealings with Microsoft.

NightwishFan
March 19th, 2008, 01:58 AM
It isn't bloated from what I seen. I like most of the applications it uses and it has some cool features. It is just inconvenient and gui based which I do not like.

scottro
March 19th, 2008, 02:48 AM
There is an excellent thread on this on nylug's mailing lists. (Easily viewable from the archives.
http://nylug.org/pipermail/nylug-talk/2008-March/thread.html

Look for posts by Bryan J. Smith dating from a few days ago--long, but well-informed and worth the read, whether one agrees or not.

KiwiNZ
March 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM
After years of decline , Novells financials are not good, to say the least. It makes sense for them to put in place mitigations against the risk of litigation.

As for Novell going after Opensuse, that makes no sense at all. Why would they want to damage a big resource?