PDA

View Full Version : Latest Firefox worth checking out

kleeman
October 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Downloaded the Beta 2 version of Firefox 1.5 and it was worth it. It's noticeably faster, not very buggy and all my plugins from 1.0.7 worked. Some of the extensions did not however which I guess is not surprising at this stage of the release cycle for 1.5. Anyway just a heads up.

poofyhairguy
October 7th, 2005, 06:07 PM
The new Beta of Firefox is out:

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=7501

I didn't like the last beta (messed with middle clicking more than I liked) but I'm going to try this one. Its WAY faster than 1.x for me. I hope it acts normal this time. Not huge upgrade in terms of features/looks....but that part of Firefox is almost perfect. The speed needed work and it got it...

You won't find Ubuntu debs, but you can just use the installer Mozilla hands you. If you cant figure out how to use it, you probably shouldn't mess with the beta.

I can't wait till its released into Breezy after its release....I'm going to flip out!

Good luck and Good Surfing.

bored2k
October 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
How close is it from getting released? So far, Breezy's going for 1.0.x version right? Any noticeable changes in its look? If so, post a screenie ;).

gflores
October 7th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Allows you to enable incompatible extensions.
http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html

kleeman
October 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
How close is it from getting released? So far, Breezy's going for 1.0.x version right? Any noticeable changes in its look? If so, post a screenie ;).

Looks pretty similar but after using it a bit it seems way faster. Beta 1 was too buggy for my taste and had some problems rendering complex sites. This release looks sweet. Cannot be long to release now I would guess (no doubt there is a timeline on their site ;-))

topcop
October 8th, 2005, 12:03 AM
i love the tab rearranging without needing an extension

Goober
October 8th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I assume that the final version will automatically be included as an Update for 5.10?

Wolki
October 8th, 2005, 02:29 AM
I assume that the final version will automatically be included as an Update for 5.10?

It depends, probably not. There will no doubt be official backports though.

jrib
October 8th, 2005, 02:34 AM
I'm running it now and it is working flawlessly so far. Extensions, plugins, and bookmarks are all working great (had to create a symlink to the old plugins folder).

One minor annoyance was that middleclicking now reloads tabs instead of closing them by default when you click on the tab, but a quick visit to about:config took care of that.

Best improvements over 1.07 are probably the faster load time and the 404 errors being displayed on pages instead of as alerts. I'll see if anything new pops up after using it a little more.

mark
October 8th, 2005, 02:58 AM
I've heard that Firefox has RAM usage issues (I usually the "old" Mozilla, so I don't know from personal experience). Anybody seeing improvements on this in the Betas?

kleeman
October 8th, 2005, 03:23 AM
I've heard that Firefox has RAM usage issues (I usually the "old" Mozilla, so I don't know from personal experience). Anybody seeing improvements on this in the Betas?
Not a lot of change. Opened both at the Ubuntu forums. 1.0.7 was taking 89M while 1.5 was taking 84M. Looking at use casually gives the impression that 1.5 is using less but its not a big issue.

Curlydave
October 8th, 2005, 04:01 AM
I dont' know why middle-clicking on a tab wouldn't exit it by default. Epiphany can get away with it because it has Xs on each tab, but firefox cannot.

NeoChaosX
October 8th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Definately. I've been trying both Firefox 1.5 betas in Windows *ducks*, and I've seen the browser take up no more than 50-60 MB with lots of tabs open.

Cirkus
October 8th, 2005, 04:21 AM
I dont' know why middle-clicking on a tab wouldn't exit it by default. Epiphany can get away with it because it has Xs on each tab, but firefox cannot.
The X (for the current tab) is on the right; right-clicking and choosing 'close' will work on any tab, however.

WikipedianKiba
October 8th, 2005, 04:36 AM
I am jealous that you guys have the ability to download the application and use while I can't because I need to fix my driver problem and get a new isp too. Otherwise I did try the trunk build almost everyday before I got Ubuntu....it was simply awesome or a nightmare.

I agree that firefox is one humble step forward, one giant leap for open source software :)