PDA

View Full Version : Mac's market share is FLYING!!

eragon100
March 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I just read an article on a Dutch website. In America, 14 % of all computers being sold are macs! They account for 25 (!!!!) % of the total revenue being made!

This is definitely going in the right direction :lolflag:

LeoSolaris
March 18th, 2008, 10:51 PM
A good testament to Apple's overpricing... 14% of the market pays 25% of the potential profit.

Kudos Apple!

aysiu
March 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM
It's not just on Dutch websites:
Mac sales corral 14% of U.S. computer market: New MacBook Air accounts for 20% of Apple's notebook sales, doesn't cannibalize other models, says NPD Group (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=12&articleId=9069298&intsrc=hm_topic)

Apparently, this month last year, they were 9% instead of 14%.

Don't they make most of their money off iPods, though?

redcrayon
March 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Go Apple! anything is better than windows boxes haha

Freddy
March 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM
If Apple computers had the similar market share that Microsoft does I believe that our situation would be worse. Everything that evens out the market is a good thing though.

billgoldberg
March 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I rather use windows vista than using anything made by apple.

If you talk about a system with vendor lock-in and drm, you talk about apple and OSX.

The only real market for apple is the US, in most other countries they are less than linux.

I would like to see the linux share rise a bit.

And now that suse will be preloaded on hp desktops, that might happen.

Alfa989
March 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah... Total openness and freedom...

If you talk about a system with vendor lock-in and drm, you talk about apple and OSX.
Lock in? Just because you can't use OS X on non-Macs? DRM in OS X? Show me an example. Because there isn't any...

The only real market for apple is the US, in most other countries they are less than linux.
Nope, probably OS X has got more market share than Linux... everywhere...

vI would like to see the linux share rise a bit.
So would I! That would mean more competition!

I doubt that will mean anything to consumers...

handy
March 19th, 2008, 06:10 AM

I would like to see the linux share rise a bit.

In the 2 months before xmas, Apple outsold MS installed machines in Japan.

scramasax
March 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
If Apple computers had the similar market share that Microsoft does I believe that our situation would be worse.

Not quite sure who "we" are and in what way "our" situation would be worse, but that's irrelevant, because the first clause in the sentence is false anyway.

Microsoft doesn't sell computers so has no market share in computers.

As for Apple computers having a similar worldwide market share to, say, HP computers ... well, I think it highly unlikely.

But Apple doesn't need an enormous market share to be hugely profitable, because its business model is not the same as HP's. In any case, it's not clear that that market will continue to be the only important one for computing devices. Apple is well placed in the smartphone space, having a solid background in designing portable hardware and having the Cocoa frameworks, which, as we've seen, are eminently portable to a handheld device.

Already in Japan more people get online by phone than by PC. I can see the same happening elsewhere.

Antman
March 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Don't they make most of their money off iPods, though?

Ipods and IPhones.... :guitar:

billgoldberg
March 20th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Alfa98ç

Yeah... Total openness and freedom...

Lock in? Just because you can't use OS X on non-Macs? DRM in OS X? Show me an example. Because there isn't any...

Just because? Just?

1 example?
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/01/0421248&from=rss

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=macintosh_os&articleId=9053978&taxonomyId=123

Nope, probably OS X has got more market share than Linux... everywhere...

Don't think so.

So would I! That would mean more competition!

I doubt that will mean anything to consumers...

It's a step in the right direction.

Peter Mount
March 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM
When I drive to anywhere I see posters for the MacBook Air. I don't see posters for anything to do with Linux.

That says it all. The general public just doesn't know that much about Linux.

Of course there is the Eee PC. This has generated some interest and I'm sure it will introduce a lot of people to Linux but not everybody wants such a small computer. I for one have big hands and I have enough trouble looking for mobile phones with suitable keypads. I'm not buying an Eee PC, it's just too small for me.

What Linux needs is an attractive, affordable, computer with a pre-loaded copy of Linux that works with all the peripherals that are made for that computer. Then it needs a suitable marketing campaign for that computer.

I believe on the desktop Mac does have more of a market share than Linux.

Happy Easter

cprofitt
March 21st, 2008, 03:56 AM
Go Apple! anything is better than windows boxes haha

Sorry... Apple is worse than Microsoft.

OSX isn't a bad OS, but Apple is a bad company.

3rdalbum
March 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM
Of course there is the Eee PC. This has generated some interest and I'm sure it will introduce a lot of people to Linux but not everybody wants such a small computer. I for one have big hands and I have enough trouble looking for mobile phones with suitable keypads. I'm not buying an Eee PC, it's just too small for me.

What Linux needs is an attractive, affordable, computer with a pre-loaded copy of Linux that works with all the peripherals that are made for that computer.

Funny you should say that. Asus are close to releasing a couple of new computers; a Eee desktop computer, a small form factor Eee desktop, and a 40 inch LCD TV with Eee computer built-in.

When the latter becomes available, I'll try and get my boss to carry them on the floor and advertise them for the group :-) It's not a new idea, but I think Asus will have the first successful implementation of the idea.

3rdalbum
March 21st, 2008, 08:29 AM
Lock in? Just because you can't use OS X on non-Macs?

System Requirements: ... Firewire port

It's reasonable to assume that OS X won't install on a non-Mac. It's not reasonable to assume that OS X won't install on a Mac that would otherwise fit the requirements perfectly.

DRM in OS X? Show me an example. Because there isn't any...

Leopard has HDCP support built-in.
Quicktime contains the decoder for DRM'ed iTMS songs/videos, and Quicktime is part of the operating system.

Peter Mount
March 21st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Funny you should say that. Asus are close to releasing a couple of new computers; a Eee desktop computer, a small form factor Eee desktop, and a 40 inch LCD TV with Eee computer built-in.

When the latter becomes available, I'll try and get my boss to carry them on the floor and advertise them for the group :-) It's not a new idea, but I think Asus will have the first successful implementation of the idea.

Asus does seem to make very nice computers. I'd be interested to see what these will be like. If they can pull it off it will be interesting times for Linux.